Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

$2000 more? Worth it?

We are headed to wdw in late August. We've stayed at all the mods and most DVCs. This time around we will have two standard rooms for 7 nights. Question is, are WL or AKL worth $2000 more just to stay at a deluxe? We've never stayed at a deluxe before. We have eaten at them and toured all but never stayed. We could use that $2K for plenty of other fun on the trip or even upgrade our flights to non-stop on the way home.

Will we see a big enough difference to feel like it was worth it? We have fairly simple easy going tastes, we do like the resort feel of CBR and we only use disney transportation.

I feel like we should stick with the moderate and feel like we dont need to hold back on special dining or purchases, possibly even have a good amount of cash on hand to take advantage of a decent bounceback offer (if they still do those).

Anyone have experience making the leap for the first time? Thoughts? Would you do it again? Why or why not?

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmauch View Post
We are headed to wdw in late August. We've stayed at all the mods and most DVCs. This time around we will have two standard rooms for 7 nights. Question is, are WL or AKL worth $2000 more just to stay at a deluxe? We've never stayed at a deluxe before. We have eaten at them and toured all but never stayed. We could use that $2K for plenty of other fun on the trip or even upgrade our flights to non-stop on the way home.

Will we see a big enough difference to feel like it was worth it? We have fairly simple easy going tastes, we do like the resort feel of CBR and we only use disney transportation.

I feel like we should stick with the moderate and feel like we dont need to hold back on special dining or purchases, possibly even have a good amount of cash on hand to take advantage of a decent bounceback offer (if they still do those).

Anyone have experience making the leap for the first time? Thoughts? Would you do it again? Why or why not?
For $2,000 I don't think the AK would be worth it unless you are HUGE a fan of the zoo or of animals. The resort is beautiful, but the convenience factor just isn't there. WL is a boatride away from MK, so that makes it more attractive to me. The rooms at both AK and the WL are pretty small as far as the deluxe hotels go. The bedroom space is about the same size as a moderate, though if you include the bathrooms they are slightly larger. The amenities beyond room size are comparable to the other deluxes.

I think I'd want either the BC/YC or Poly for the $2,000 difference. Last year we stayed at the AoA and used the extra money for the DxDP and did some fantastic character and signature meals. Last year we chose for the kids and went for the over the top AoA Cars section. This year my husband and I want to do a little more relaxing and get some pampering, so we dropped the DxDP and went for the Beach Club CL. I've stayed at the deluxe hotels before, and it's definitely worth it if you plan to spend a lot of time at the resort enjoying things.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

Great perspective, thank you. YC/BC were both more and Poly felt outrageous. We've stayed at BCV in studios before so we feel like that was a treat with DVC points. But it really wasnt our favorite. The SAB area was great but we didnt use it enough to make it feel worth it. The walk to Epcot and boat to HS is a major bonus...

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

I hate when you can't delete!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

We would rather use the $2000 to stay longer than to upgrade to deluxe.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
d23
Earning My Ears

Split stay

One option would be to stay a majority of the time at a moderate, then switch over to a Deluxe for 2 or 3 nights. Then you have the best of both worlds!

I personally would say DAKL if you were going to upgrade. It's a very unique Resort unlike any other in the U.S.
d23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I see that you stated that you considered the walk to Epcot and boat to HS is a major bonus, have you ever thought about staying at the Swan Dolphin? If you were looking at two standard rooms the SD offers a variety of suites. We stayed in an Executive Suite (3 posts with photos) and were very impressed with the rooms. As an added bonus we actually paid less that two standard moderate rooms would have cost!
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Once I made a jump to deluxe, it was hard to book elsewhere (but I have).

The 'worth' is subjective. Only you know if it is worth it for you.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
reddfrogg
Earning My Ears

I agree with Mike

I enjoy the Swan & Dolphin!!! without the cost of the deluxe
reddfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Having always stayed at moderates we spent 2 weeks at the Beach club last summer. It was beautiful. The pool outstanding. The walk to Epcot just fantastically convenient. But we're back to POR this summer. So my conclusion. It wasn't worth it enough. We also really missed having a decent food court on site, even though we eat a TS daily.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

we went from POFQ to teh WL on our second trip. Now we are going again, to the WL.

For US it's worth the money. We love the lodge

But I can't look in your wallet or head Only you can decide if it's worth it for you. '

When I doubt I make a decision in my head and start virtual planning. Either I find myself getting happier with the choice, or I don't. Then I know the doubts were right and it's not for me.

It simply IS a lot of money!
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

For $2,000 no. That is a big jump for only being there how long in a day. We've stayed at all levels. We like the mods over the values- that seems to be worth it for us but it SO much of a jump between mods and deluxe and while they are nice there isn't that much of a difference.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

If you haven't stay experienced a deluxe resort I would say go for it. AKL(Savannah View) is a magical experience. It is a toss up for my DW favorite room, right next to Polynesian Club Level, although for me my favorite is Poly Club Level by far.

Whether or not the upgrade is worth another $2000 is a tough one. If you have limited funds and spending $2000 more on the room means not being able to do dinner shows, character meals, and the like, then I don't know. It still might be worth it as the experience of waking up in the morning and looking out your windows seeing African animals is really magical.

Now with all that said we are staying at All Star Sports Resort for this year's family trip. We have stayed at Moderate and Deluxe resorts so far and now we want to experience a value resort. I'm sure it will be a fun family trip, and it will be a different experience.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
rusty4
DIS Veteran

I will have to make the same decision next trip!

We loved POR until we stayed at BC. Strolling to Epcot our favorite park was priceless to us. But the money may not be there next time.

What about POR or CSR. Alot compare CSR to deluxe as far as the beds go. We have not stayed there before. Though POR was alot of fun and you have POFQ right next door for beignets and another pool to enjoy as long as they still allow pool hopping between those 2 resorts.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We had stayed at all of the values, and one moderate (CBR) when we were trying to decide whether the jump to deluxe was "worth it". I really hemmed and hawed about it for quite some time, as the fear of spending that money and feeling like it was wasted weighed heavily on me.

I have to say, we ended up doing CL at WL and it was absolutely fantastic!!!! in fact, we had said we were just going to do deluxe that once and then back to mods, and well....we are staying YC CL in April. I couldn't not book deluxe, and I couldn't NOT book CL. To us, it was worth it!!

Now, mind you, we had/have 40% discounts for both of our deluxe CL stays. There is no way I would pay rack rate, but with a good discount we do feel it is worth it. Good luck deciding. I don't think you will be disappointed if you decide to take the plunge.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: