Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #46
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
Nice come back!

I just went grocery shopping yesterday (my usual day for food shopping). The store was a bit crowded for a Wednesday late morning. But more snow was forcasted and everyone had to do their shopping (btw, we only got a dusting this morning). I'm patiently waiting on line at the register and I look at the woman's cart in front of me. Nothing out of the ordinary except for that one package of Valentine's marshmallow candy (similar to Peeps) that she practically had eaten before paying for it. I can't stand when people take things off the shelf, open it and start eating it prior to paying. No matter how you look at it, it's stealing. It doesn't matter that you are "going" to pay for it before you leave. Stealing, is stealing. I guess her stomach couldn't wait until after she was done paying for everything.

My whole issue with the above is that a lot of people pay using their debit card and don't have cash or a checkbook on hand. So their screwed if their card is declined (or the card machines are down) and they have no other way to pay for it.
Oh, that is my pet peeve - people opening food and eating it in the store while they are shopping. Really, you can't wait at least until you get out to your car to open that bag of chips?

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #47
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
My whole issue with the above is that a lot of people pay using their debit card and don't have cash or a checkbook on hand. So their screwed if their card is declined (or the card machines are down) and they have no other way to pay for it.
I always wonder what would happen in that situation because if you can't pay for it, then you stole it! Now, you may have full intention of paying for it but I can not tell you how many times someone's debit/credit card has been declined and they were totally surprised and had to leave their stuff because they had no other form of payment.

Cards can get locked for just about anything especially with the increase in fraud, etc...

We have had our system crash where we could only take cash for a while. THAT was fun.

I had a dad who was LIVID with his teenage son because he opened a can of pop in the store before they paid. The teen was dumbfounded that it would be a problem. I could tell the dad was ticked that he had done so, the son tried dragging me into the situation by asking me if it was a problem that he had opened it while in the store. I just answered with "what would have happened if you couldn't have paid for it?" type of answer. We aren't a grocery store....so our pop is expensive!

I know people do it and I have seen situations where they are desperate so that (i.e. kid has bloody nose, so they grab Kleenex off the shelf to deal with the situation) and pay for the box afterwards. In that case, as much as I don't like it in general -- I could understand it...besides...who wants a trail of blood everywhere?

I'm very old school though and can't even fathom the concept of bringing food/drink into any old store since this was before they had Starbuck's in every other store. It just wasn't even a concept....I was at a shop that sells vintage/special occassion dresses and 2 girls walked in with ice cream...the owner did tell them they needed to put that down on the counter as to not get ice cream all over the dresses. It would never even occurred to me to walk into a random shop while eating ice cream. I would think it wouldn't be allowed but no one thinks twice about it now.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #48
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I once had one very similar. Expect the mom didn't have enough of a brain to even give her kid a bucket. She just let her barf her way thru the store. Housekeeping had a grand time following behind her.

Then there was the time a lady puked into a bag and handed it to a cashier to dispose of.

OK show of hands--who has had a "lady" reach into her cleavage and pull out money, and hand it to you?

For a short time I worked in an attorney’s office, one building with multiple independent lawyers. One of them had several clients that worked in gentleman clubs. Each lawyer’s assistants had to take a turn filling in at the reception desk. We all hated to work that shift on Mondays. It never failed that we would have multiple clients for this one lawyer that would come in to pay on their fees. And it never failed that they would pull a stack of one’s and some times five’s out of their purse and had it to us. Ewwwww. You know there that was just a couple of nights ago and I, along with the rest of assistants, really hated touching that money.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #49
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

Why do people take up the entire aisle...turn the cart sideways...walk 3 wide and not move when you nicely say excuse me. I was in Sam's yesterday with the super wide aisle. A family (some of which were pooh sized) took up the entire aisle---I just stood there, said excuse me and they looked at me like I did something wrong. I just wanted to get by and get my items.

Also people who don't have money ready or checks as other state. Or who go to U-Scan aisle and don't know how to use it! Don't go there if you can't use it.
zoo2tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #50
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Never gave much thought to eating before paying. Most of grocery stores here have areas with tables next to the deli to sit down and eat. Order a sub,sit down and eat, then pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Oh, some of these are BAD!

Down here in south Florida, the vast majority of grocery store customers (and residents) are retirees or snowbirds from the Northeast (think NY/NJ, etc). And they all talk SO LOUDLY in the most heinous New Jersey accents you've ever heard (no offense, NJ people!). And I guess they must mostly be deaf, because in the store they are all YELLING AT EACH OTHER AT TOP VOLUME in these accents. Generally husbands and wives. ("BIIIILLL?! YOU FAHGAAAHT THE BUTTAH! I TOLD YOU NOT TO FAHHGIT THE BUTTAH!") And you can hear it all. over. the. store.

One time when I was going into the store, there was an older lady who had just checked out, and apparently had realized that she had lost her cane somewhere in the store. So, did she go back into the aisles to get it? (Btw, she had a younger companion with her). No, she's at customer service screaming that "SOMEONE HERE STOLE MY CANE! ONE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES STOLE MY CANE!" And it went on and on. Sigh...

I should add a disclaimer - I am not saying these stories to make fun of older people. All of these people seemed to be very able bodied and on the younger side of elderly (i.e., mid to late 60s) - I wouldn't make fun of an older person who was clearly having difficulties.

And the worst. All of them insist on writing a check when they check out!!!
Have you ever experienced the ones yelling at the deli clerk because they had asked for only 4 slices of cheese and they were giving her 5? Yep, they order by slice..... 3 of one thing, 2 of another....
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Never gave much thought to eating before paying. Most of grocery stores here have areas with tables next to the deli to sit down and eat. Order a sub,sit down and eat, then pay.
That's a bit of a different situation. In this case, it's set up that way (just like going to a TS restaurant). In the case that I had seen yesterday, it was taken off the grocery shelf opened and partially eaten before getting to the register.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
sounds like you were in the same store with me the other day. I was in produce and I had gotten 1 large bunch of unripe bananas ( we use them for smoothies) and was doing the rest of the shopping, when some old bat reached into my cart and tried to take my bananas because "they only had small overripe one left and mine looked better" When I told her no. she got mad at me and told me "apparently your mother did not teach you to respect my elders" so I told her "apparently her mother did not teach her not to touch other peoples stuff She didnt like that very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
There was one night where a very intoxicated guy came in to buy more beer. We let him go all the way back to the cooler and make his way all the way up front before telling him we wouldn't sell it. The 12 pack he was trying to buy was throwing off his balance so badly that he was staggering from one side of the aisle to the other and banging into the shelves.

Then we had a girl come in and hot on her heels were about 5 police...she got arrested for drunk driving..her car out in the parking lot was 100 % not parked anywhere remotely close to a parking spot.

One of my favorites...I went to take an empty cart back to the vestibule and walked out to see 2 guys popping the front of the gumball machines, I looked like this , they looked like . I ran back inside and called the manager and he called police..of course they got away..but did not get any money because I walked out there at the right time.

We were also close to the college campus so it was always interesting when it was pledging time.

We had a girl come running through the store wearing only balloons strategically placed.

One of our regulars used to tear his money a little bit before handing it over to the cashier. One night when she gave him his change back she did the same thing before giving it to him and totally freaked him out.

I was also robbed at gunpoint..which was not funny, but is something I will never forget.
I have a friend who does a magic show, his assistant wears a balloon bikini. He made it, he also does incredible balloon creations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
This week I was trying on a shoe and a lady reached through the rack and took the second one! I didn't realize what had happened until she had walked away. She then stalked me throughout the store, watching me from behind racks of clothing. After about half an hour, she left. When I went to pay, I told the cashier my bizarre story. I honestly found the whole thing hilarious. She was horrified and kept apologizing. She said the lady told her she couldn't find the other shoe. Did she want them to search everyone's carts? Issue a store-wide Code Adam on a shoe? Or was she expecting to pay half-price for half a pair of shoes? Before she left, she hid the shoe somewhere in the store.

Around Xmas, i was shopping with my brother for his wife. He needed to stop in Walmart and rather than go to the one just past his house, he wanted to go to the Ghetto Walmart that we were near. I warned him. I told him I didn't mind driving past his house to go to the other Walmart. So we go in, he finds a couple things, we get to the register. We are next in line. The cashier bends over under the register. I realize she is vomiting!!! After getting a nearby cashier to call someone to help this poor woman, we get in another line. Because ew. Five or so minutes later, we are checked out and the Vomiting Cashier is still working.
I hope they didn't put the other shoe on the shelf so she could buy them.....hahahahaha that's so crazy. and the second story, ewwwwwwwwww

OP your post cracked me up......made me smile and laugh.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #53
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

So do you any of you ladies think the grocery store is an appropriate place to meet someone? Reason I ask is this one particular Kroger I go to, nice area, has a good deli, seems to always have tons of major hotties in there I've thought about starting to do all my shopping there just in case I actually am able to strike up a conversation with one. Sad I know.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #54
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator
So do you any of you ladies think the grocery store is an appropriate place to meet someone? Reason I ask is this one particular Kroger I go to, nice area, has a good deli, seems to always have tons of major hotties in there I've thought about starting to do all my shopping there just in case I actually am able to strike up a conversation with one. Sad I know.
I think you can meet people anywhere!

Check out their carts... You can tell a lot about a person by their groceries! LOL
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties
You can tell a lot about a person by their groceries!
Tag worthy!

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
ellone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance

Oh, that is my pet peeve - people opening food and eating it in the store while they are shopping. Really, you can't wait at least until you get out to your car to open that bag of chips?
I've had to do it for the kids. In fact yesterday we were at Target and I put a couple boxes of Annie's cheddar bunny crackers in the cart. My 16 month old saw them and started screeching. She would not stop - wanted to stop the stares so I opened a box and gave her a few. She instantly stopped screeching.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #57
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone

I've had to do it for the kids. In fact yesterday we were at Target and I put a couple boxes of Annie's cheddar bunny crackers in the cart. My 16 month old saw them and started screeching. She would not stop - wanted to stop the stares so I opened a box and gave her a few. She instantly stopped screeching.
opcorn
Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #58
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Well it was totally not an original idea. There was a whole episode about this on Happy Days, where Fonzie told Richie a good way to meet girls is to run his shopping cart into a girl he was trying to meet. I will not assault anyone with my shopping cart.

One time a lady offered me a coupon of something I was taking off the shelf.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #59
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
I always wonder what would happen in that situation because if you can't pay for it, then you stole it! Now, you may have full intention of paying for it but I can not tell you how many times someone's debit/credit card has been declined and they were totally surprised and had to leave their stuff because they had no other form of payment.

Cards can get locked for just about anything especially with the increase in fraud, etc...

We have had our system crash where we could only take cash for a while. THAT was fun.

I had a dad who was LIVID with his teenage son because he opened a can of pop in the store before they paid. The teen was dumbfounded that it would be a problem. I could tell the dad was ticked that he had done so, the son tried dragging me into the situation by asking me if it was a problem that he had opened it while in the store. I just answered with "what would have happened if you couldn't have paid for it?" type of answer. We aren't a grocery store....so our pop is expensive!

I know people do it and I have seen situations where they are desperate so that (i.e. kid has bloody nose, so they grab Kleenex off the shelf to deal with the situation) and pay for the box afterwards. In that case, as much as I don't like it in general -- I could understand it...besides...who wants a trail of blood everywhere?

I'm very old school though and can't even fathom the concept of bringing food/drink into any old store since this was before they had Starbuck's in every other store. It just wasn't even a concept....I was at a shop that sells vintage/special occassion dresses and 2 girls walked in with ice cream...the owner did tell them they needed to put that down on the counter as to not get ice cream all over the dresses. It would never even occurred to me to walk into a random shop while eating ice cream. I would think it wouldn't be allowed but no one thinks twice about it now.
If you can't pay for it the store will consider it stolen. My mother works in a store and she had a situation where a woman gave her kids soup (hot soup that's in with the take home meals) to eat while she shopped. She tried dumping the cups before checkout but my mom had seen them so she was keeping an eye on it. She didn't have money to pay for the soup. Her choices were either call someone to bring her money or talk to the police.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #60
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post

Sure, act dumb and ask one of the hotties her opinion about which type of ham or turkey or cheese is the best. Or in the produce department ask how to pick out a good mango or something. But don't get crude with suggestive comments about cucumbers or bananas.

About 20 years ago a local supermarket actually had a Singles Night. I never went, but apparently they a table set up with free coffee or juice and snacks. It must have been successful, because it lasted a least half a dozen years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I think you can meet people anywhere!

Check out their carts... You can tell a lot about a person by their groceries! LOL
Yep, one of my favorite things at the supermarket is to check out other peoples' carts and form instant opinions about their lives.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: