Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

How long are you contagious with a "virus"?

I started getting sick last Saturday. Monday went to Emergency room. Strep and flu tests were negative and chest X-ray was clear. Was told it was a virus and sent home to rest. Problem is that my grandmothers funeral is tomorrow and Saturday. Everyone will want to hug and kiss but I feel as though I shouldn't. I feel better but not 100%. What do I do?

Terri
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
mrsdon
DIS Veteran
I'm a morning person!
I travel for lottery tickets!

GO to the funeral but just tell them that you are under the weather and dont want to get any sick
They will understand
Debbie #4
DVC owner
OKW,VB, BCV @ SSR
mrsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I would say that if you have a fever and are still "exuding" (sneezing, coughing, etc) that still seems more active than residual, then you are contagious.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
MNdisneymom
Mouseketeer

During the passing of the peace (handshaking, etc.) at church a few weeks ago, when my son extended a hand to somebody, she responded with, "I'm sniffing and sneezing, so I'm not shaking hands today!" and offered a namaste (head bow, with hands flat together) instead.

Our senior pastor has done a lot of missionary work in India, that's where he got the idea--he introduced it last winter. A nice option for a personal connection, without physical contact. (I'm not sure if namaste is the exactly correct word, that's what I remember him calling it.)
MNdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

I guess I'm confused with the timing here. Did all this happen in the last 6 days? Or is there a whole nother week in here? If you started feeling sick 6 days ago and 2 days later felt bad enough to go to the ER for a bunch of tests then chances are that you are still contagious. If you meant that you got sick on sat and then a whole week later went to the ER, it's possible you could be over the virus by now. Either way if you are feeling ok I would still say go the funeral but just let everyone know you are not feeling well and they should understand you avoiding the hugs etc.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
yoopermom

Sorry for the confusion I've been sick for less than a week. Normally I wouldn't have gone to Er but I spent the week before with grandma who died of pneumonia in the hospital and was afraid I might have caught something serious. Dr wrote me a note so I stayed home all week and rested but I still have a terrible sore throat and bronchial cough. Combined with emotional stress of mourning, well...

Terri
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
ShirikiUtundu
Mouseketeer

This is easy. Go and wear a mask.
ShirikiUtundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom
Sorry for the confusion I've been sick for less than a week. Normally I wouldn't have gone to Er but I spent the week before with grandma who died of pneumonia in the hospital and was afraid I might have caught something serious. Dr wrote me a note so I stayed home all week and rested but I still have a terrible sore throat and bronchial cough. Combined with emotional stress of mourning, well...

Terri
If you were that close to your grandma then you definitely need to go the funeral. Your family should understand your need to be there even if you are still sick. I am very sorry for your loss.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
yoopermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo

If you were that close to your grandma then you definitely need to go the funeral. Your family should understand your need to be there even if you are still sick. I am very sorry for your loss.
Thank you. Believe me I will be there no matter what. I just don't want to share this "crud".
Terri
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirikiUtundu View Post
This is easy. Go and wear a mask.
I agree with this. Wash your hands a lot, wear a mask and no huggy kissy.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Sorry for your loss.

Normally I would say to stay home. If your Grandma has elderly friends who will be attending, or folks will be there who have weakened immune systems, you most definitely don't want to pass it on to them. It could be very dangerous for them.

But, since it is your Grandma and you probably need the closure then just be really really careful, as others have said. Wear a mask, don't shake any hands or kiss anyone and wash/sanitize your hands a lot. Try to not be near anyone if you are coughing a lot either. If someone goes to hug or kiss you, just hold your hands up and say, "sorry, I am not feeling well and don't want to get you sick." Most people will back off, and if you have a mask on, people probably won't get too close anyway.

Good luck, and I applaud you for caring so much about other people's well being.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: