Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Touring Tips and Tricks for Young People

I've noticed that a lot of the threads in this board are geared towards CP so I figured I'd take a stab at starting something different.

As a teenager/young adult, what is your favorite touring tip or trick? Are there any things you like to skip or have to see? Have you ever done Disney for spring break? What makes you love Disney just as much as young children and families do?

Feel free to discuss!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
disneyaddict101
Mouseketeer

Hey! So glad you started this! I'd have to say I avoid It's a Small World at all costs haha, the song just gets stuck in my head all week! Haha as for a tip I'd just say take it slow and not just run around constantly, just enjoy everything around you Oh! And Hidden Mickeys! They're so fun and you feel pretty awesome when you find one haha:l
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
simba21
Earning My Ears

I would say definitely watch the entertainment around the world showcase, especially the world showcase players in England, they are hilarious!
simba21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Yay! I love this thread!

I'd say I love to hit the big rides that when I travel with young ones won't do. My favorites are ToT, RnRC, Space, BTMRR, Splash, Mission: Space, and Everest. I also really like the fact that I can walk quickly without having to wait for little legs!

I love Disney because of the details! I really like to take the time and look in the different shops and attractions and just take it ALL in! Literally everything there has a purpose, and it's sooooo much fun to try to figure it out! Getting a Disney Trivia book is a lot of fun! I have learned so much from mine. I think the biggest advice for someone like me, a sucker for cheesey details, is to slow down and LOOK! Look on the windows on Main Street and in Hollywood Studios. Look in the ride queues for hidden tributes and details. Look at the buildings! I'm a geek, but I think it's really cool!

I also love to do the "little kid" stuff too sometimes! It just brings me down memory lane!

I'm so hhappy you posted this thread!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
emma212010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
disneyaddict101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010
Yay! I love this thread!

I'd say I love to hit the big rides that when I travel with young ones won't do. My favorites are ToT, RnRC, Space, BTMRR, Splash, Mission: Space, and Everest. I also really like the fact that I can walk quickly without having to wait for little legs!

I love Disney because of the details! I really like to take the time and look in the different shops and attractions and just take it ALL in! Literally everything there has a purpose, and it's sooooo much fun to try to figure it out! Getting a Disney Trivia book is a lot of fun! I have learned so much from mine. I think the biggest advice for someone like me, a sucker for cheesey details, is to slow down and LOOK! Look on the windows on Main Street and in Hollywood Studios. Look in the ride queues for hidden tributes and details. Look at the buildings! I'm a geek, but I think it's really cool!

I also love to do the "little kid" stuff too sometimes! It just brings me down memory lane!

I LOVE the little details! You wouldn't believe how many pictures i have of that type of stuff! People are always looking at me like I'm crazy when they see pictures like that haha And as for rides, EVERYONE will probably think I'm crazy.. But I've never been on any of the thrill rides at Disney! Haha
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddict101 View Post
Hey! So glad you started this! I'd have to say I avoid It's a Small World at all costs haha, the song just gets stuck in my head all week! Haha as for a tip I'd just say take it slow and not just run around constantly, just enjoy everything around you Oh! And Hidden Mickeys! They're so fun and you feel pretty awesome when you find one haha:l
Hidden Mickeys is a good idea! I always try to keep my eyes peeled for them but I know there are books that will tell you where to find them if you want to seek them out. It's amazing to search all the details Disney puts into things looking for them.

I agree about slowing down too. My sister and I went park commando our last trip and we were exhausted. We're already planning our return and have decided we really want to slow down and take more things in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba21 View Post
I would say definitely watch the entertainment around the world showcase, especially the world showcase players in England, they are hilarious!
I would LOVE to take a whole day in the Showcase to watch the movies, see the entertainment, etc. It's all supposed to be really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Yay! I love this thread!

I'm glad you like the thread! I figure there had to be other people who aren't into CP who wanted to talk Disney sans kids with people our age!

I love to do some of the 'kid' stuff. There was no line for Dumbo a few weeks ago so we went on and got some of my favorite pictures of the trip!

Quote:
I LOVE the little details! You wouldn't believe how many pictures i have of that type of stuff! People are always looking at me like I'm crazy when they see pictures like that haha And as for rides, EVERYONE will probably think I'm crazy.. But I've never been on any of the thrill rides at Disney! Haha
Are you not a thrill ride person, or have you not gotten around to riding yet?

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Add me and let's run!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
disneyaddict101
Mouseketeer

I have a hidden mickey book, but it's more dun finding them yourself haha and as for thrill rides, last time i went i was 13, so bout 5 years ago! I was TERRIFIED of thrill rides, and my moms not a fan either haha, but lately ive been more into it so next summer during our mother daughter trip she may just have to deal with it haha
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
disneygirl520
Disney: where everyone screams at the sight of a mouse.

Yay! I'm glad this thread is up!

Anyway, I am the only person in my family how will ride absolutely every ride at Disney. I love all of the trill rides, (except ToT that ride terrifies me, but I still ride it once a trip). But I think the magic of Disney is in its little rides and shows. I still consider Peter Pans flight to be my favorite. I drives me crazy when people say Disney is for babies or that Disney isn't very good because all of their rides are for kids.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
emma212010
DIS Veteran

I'm such a thrill ride junky! But I totally agree that the magic is in the shows and the atmosphere!

YES! So many people always say something like how they don't go to Disney because it's childish. My roommate last year was like so "above" Disney, and I was like uh-uh this is NOT happening hahaha. Disney is definitely for everyone!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
disneygirl520
Disney: where everyone screams at the sight of a mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010
I'm such a thrill ride junky! But I totally agree that the magic is in the shows and the atmosphere!

YES! So many people always say something like how they don't go to Disney because it's childish. My roommate last year was like so "above" Disney, and I was like uh-uh this is NOT happening hahaha. Disney is definitely for everyone!
Yes!!! No one is "above" Disney, but a lot of people think they are...
Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran

If you are over 21 you can try "Drinking around the world" although it will be expensive so you may want to share drinks with a friend. Also this should take ALL day! If you try to do it in 2-3 hours you will DIE! or be so intoxicated that they will not serve you and possibly ask you to leave the park.

If you aren't 21 or don't care for drinking it is also fun to "Eat around the world" and try something from each country. (Also can get expensive though)

I still like going to character meals. Chef Mickey's for breakfast is my favorite!

My other tip would be don't waste your money on sodas. You can get ice water for free at most food stands. That will save you $2 each time, that you can spend other places!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
disneyaddict101
Mouseketeer

Oh my gosh, I can't stand when people think they're above Disney! My best friend just did that and no she's staying home while her fam goes to Disney! It's crazy!

And I love the eating around the world thing, Iv'e inly been to Epcot once but now when i go back I'm gunna have to try that! And I so agree about Chef Mickey's! We go there every trip for breakfast! O'hana is REALLY good too! I love character dining, you can meet the characters and ride the rides without waiting character lines if you still like doing that! (Like me!)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes Count View Post
If you are over 21 you can try "Drinking around the world" although it will be expensive so you may want to share drinks with a friend. Also this should take ALL day! If you try to do it in 2-3 hours you will DIE! or be so intoxicated that they will not serve you and possibly ask you to leave the park.

If you aren't 21 or don't care for drinking it is also fun to "Eat around the world" and try something from each country. (Also can get expensive though)

I still like going to character meals. Chef Mickey's for breakfast is my favorite!

My other tip would be don't waste your money on sodas. You can get ice water for free at most food stands. That will save you $2 each time, that you can spend other places!
I love the ice water tip! We carry our resort mugs with us, get the water and pour it in the mugs! That way it's easier to carry around and usually stays colder longer!

I really want to eat around the world sometime! In June, my DBF will be 21 for our trip (I'll be 20) so he's looking forward to trying some drinks at the different countries!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes Count View Post

I'm not 21 yet, but my DSis is and she's tried drinking around the world before and has yet to be sucessful. She agrees that you need to use a whole day and split drinks. Both times she and her friends have gotten mixed drinks and said that it just ends up being too much liquid to consume. She suggests trying with wine and beer!

I still love character meals too. We had some of our best character interactions of our trip last month at Garden Grill.

I recommend buying the refillable mug if you're not on the dining plan. We were on DDP this trip and probably wouldn't get it again, but would definitely pay out of pocket for the mugs. We got free refills of coffee, soda, etc at our resort and filled the mugs with water in the park. I've heard that they haven't changed the mug design in a few years, so I suppose you could always bring one back if you've already bought it...

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I can't stand when people think they're above Disney! My best friend just did that and no she's staying home while her fam goes to Disney! It's crazy!

And I love the eating around the world thing, Iv'e inly been to Epcot once but now when i go back I'm gunna have to try that! And I so agree about Chef Mickey's! We go there every trip for breakfast! O'hana is REALLY good too! I love character dining, you can meet the characters and ride the rides without waiting character lines if you still like doing that! (Like me!)
Ugh, I agree! You are NEVER too old for Disney! In fact, I think its even better to travel as an adult than a kid. Its a big trip to take on and you can do/see a lot more when you can make it through the day without a nap. Also, I think Disney does its fair share to cater to adults/young people as well as families!

Add me and let's run!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I love the ice water tip! We carry our resort mugs with us, get the water and pour it in the mugs! That way it's easier to carry around and usually stays colder longer!

I really want to eat around the world sometime! In June, my DBF will be 21 for our trip (I'll be 20) so he's looking forward to trying some drinks at the different countries!
We're going back next February and I'll be less than one month away from 21

My sister says some of the drinks are great! She likes the frozen vodka lemonade in France!

Add me and let's run!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: