Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Pureed Baby food question

Hi...

Have traveled with a toddler, but never a baby. We will be bringing our 13 month old in June on the Magic.

(1) Do the servers provide pureed baby food? I've read about this but I don't know how to go about requesting this.

(2) Do I ask the head server?

(3) What can I ask for? Carrots pureed? Peaches?

(4) Do I order the night before for the entire next day (as I would allergy foods)?

(5) Does room service provide pureed food? Or strictly the dining room?

(6) Are bottle warmers provided for the cabin?

We're cruising Europe so I'll try my best to bring pouches but my luggage space is limited.

Thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Hi...

Have traveled with a toddler, but never a baby. We will be bringing our 13 month old in June on the Magic.

(1) Do the servers provide pureed baby food? I've read about this but I don't know how to go about requesting this.

(4) Do I order the night before for the entire next day (as I would allergy foods)?

We're cruising Europe so I'll try my best to bring pouches but my luggage space is limited.

Thanks.
Well, the only one I can answer is, yes there are bottle warmers, but limited. You get them at Guest Services.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
itdoesntsmell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Hi...

Thanks.
AFAIK Baby food is BYO.
Room service would be out of the question since they have such a small galley and limited food to just what they offer.

Bottle warmers are available at GS
itdoesntsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

I never gave my kids pureed, foods, they wouldn't eat them. simply small bites of real food or thoroughly cooked veggies. If yours won't eat those, you might want to get this - http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-F700-Foo...=kidco+blender
simple, cheap, portable solution. (they also have a small portable food processor, but that requires power)

Also of note, they will make applesauce for you -- but they literally make it for you, and it's kinda chunky & they put cinnamon in it (which my child didn't like).

Hope that helps.
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

How old is the baby now? I just ask because my 11 month old hasn't eaten puréed food since 8-9 months, so it may be a non issue. She turns 1 next week and we plan to ditch the bottle soon. My son took purees longer, but still hardly after 10 months or so, although now at almost 2.5 he loves those pouches. I would bring those if the baby still eats a lot if purees food!

AZMermaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
How old is the baby now? I just ask because my 11 month old hasn't eaten puréed food since 8-9 months, so it may be a non issue. She turns 1 next week and we plan to ditch the bottle soon. My son took purees longer, but still hardly after 10 months or so, although now at almost 2.5 he loves those pouches. I would bring those if the baby still eats a lot if purees food!
She's just started on purees and she's 10 months. We've tried solids but she's very clearly not ready yet. Only 1 tooth and consistently not able to eat cheerios (we let her practice every few days to see if she'll start gumming them)...so I'm pretty sure she'll still be on purees in May/June. She's my 2nd and my 1st progressed slowly too so that's what I'm guessing.

I will be buying pouches in the UK...but was hoping to give her variety during that leg of our trip.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinS9
I never gave my kids pureed, foods, they wouldn't eat them. simply small bites of real food or thoroughly cooked veggies. If yours won't eat those, you might want to get this - http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-F700-Foo...=kidco+blender
simple, cheap, portable solution. (they also have a small portable food processor, but that requires power)

Also of note, they will make applesauce for you -- but they literally make it for you, and it's kinda chunky & they put cinnamon in it (which my child didn't like).

Hope that helps.
We had something similar for my son when he was a baby. We rarely purchased baby food since it was simple to make.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I give my DD both home made food from a mini food processor at home as well as organic food pouches. No shame in that. Anyway, it's not feasible to be bringing my mini food processor on this trip.

So does anyone have any recent info on pureed foods?

I've found some older threads . . . but would love to hear recent experiences (esp on the Classic ships).
Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

Not to repeat myself, but I would get the portable blender I linked to above, as it seems you have to have puréed food. It is compact, comes with a carrying case, easy to clean in stateroom (I always travelled with a small shampoo bottle of dish soap), and covers you enroute, pre and post cruise.
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

We also made our own organic baby food too. We delayed solids since DD was EB so she started around 9 months. By then the pedi said nothing needed to be pureed. You could asked for cooked veggies and mash them with a fork. For breakfast they have yogurt available (which babies can start before they have had cow's milk because it's easier digested) and mash bananas with a fork. It doesn't hurt to ask the night before. You can also talk to your head server at the start of the cruise to make sure you have a variety and that items are made properly. Since you would be asking for basic things they have in stock already I don't think it would be a problem. DD is a picky eater (in a healthy way) so we were able to ask our head server to make a healhy kid's meal instead of the fried kid's stuff and they fulfilled our request.
Talk to your pedi he or she may have great advice for you based on other patient's travel experiences.

FYI from the DCL site
The following electrical appliances are not permitted on board due to safety concerns: rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, bottle sterilizers and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders. A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. In addition, Guests can request hot water to be delivered to their stateroom at any time from Room Service.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

This might help you, I do not know anything more than I remembered seeing it when looking for something to order for my son. Look at this link from the Disney Cruise site. Go down on the page until you find the link to Baby Travel Lite.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/

Welcome Disney Cruise Line ® guests. Taking a baby on a Disney Cruise vacation just got easier. Order all your baby supplies for delivery to your Disney Magic ®, Disney Wonder ®, Disney Dream ® or Disney Fantasy ® stateroom or to your Disney Resort or Hotel. We've have created special bundles for you to enjoy on your Disney cruise vacation.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

The CM are very accomadating and AFAIK will purree pretty much anything on the menu for you. That is in the dining rooms.

Not sure about room service.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

Have you seen the Nuturme pouches? They are dehydrated powders that you mix with water. They would take up very little space and weight allowance in your bags.

http://nurturme.com

Also, as you get closer maybe try mashing things by hand/adding a bit of liquid at home to see if she'll take them. She might not be ready for full on solids but might surprise you and be ready for thicker mashes. On the Magic last week, my DS3 was served quite a few things that could be hand mashed: peas, very soft mac and cheese, and carrots come to mind.
'84, '92-Beach Club, '97-DTD Hotel, 2005-POP, 2008-AKL/Poly, 2009-CR MK view, 2010-AKV-Kidani 2 BR, March 2012-ASMo, Sept 2012-Bonnet Creek 4 BR Presidential, 2013-Disney Magic 4n Western, Disney Wonder 7n Bahamian
Aggiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I would bet that her eating will really change between 10 and 13 months. Having teeth is not required for many "solid" foods. Meat is probably out, but she'll likely be able to gum/chew pastas, steamed veggies, soft fruits like bananas, etc. maybe bring a few pouches as a backup but I think you can find a lot of mashable food onboard with little to no effort.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Purées can be skipped entirely, especially at that age. Look up Baby Led Weaning. We do a combo of both but only because I don't make breast milk so we wanted our kids to have a variety of foods in their palate since they were missing the changing flavours. Skipping purées makes the travel easier.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: