Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

sounds like a fun trip Jen! I am good with whatever camping for about 3 days- then I make sure we have a KOA coming up next because in my mind KOA= hot shower

Have a great trip
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenTMV View Post
So True! The thing is...I will be at a hotel the soon after that and so I am good with it. I just didn't want to start our trip off in the desert on the 4th of July being sweaty with several days until we see a hotel.

We could do it and do love it though!
There are plenty of places in Moab where you can pay to take a shower (mostly campgrounds). However, if your group is large enough it starts getting to the point where you ask yourself if you shouldn't just stay at a campground with a shower.

One of my pet peeves in Yosemite is the lack of affordable public shower facilities. When I camped at Mt Rainier, their main visitor center had public showers. One quarter gave 7 minutes of water. Then they imploded the visitor center in favor of a shiny new one without a replacement for the shower facilities.

And I have heard of people who have gone backpacking in Yosemite for a week or more, and thought it would be interesting to ride the Valley Shuttle before bathing just to see the reactions. As for me - the first thing I did after setting up my tent at the backpackers' campground was to get a shower, and the clerk at Curry Village refused to take my money.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at the KOA in Moab in July- hotter than Hades!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for all the input...I wanted to share some of the updates in our planning and see if anyone has information on the questions that have not been answered yet.

July 3 = MN to Denver, CO. Hotel booked!

July 4 = Denver, CO to Moab, UT. Moab KOA booked

July 5 = Exploring around Moab. Moab KOA booked

July 6 = Moab, UT to Bryce, UT. Cannonville KOA booked

July 7 = Bryce, UT to Las Vegas, NV. Mandalay Bay booked

July 8 = Las Vegas. Mandalay Bay booked

July 9 = Las Vegas, NV to Disneyland. Paradise Pier booked

July 14 = We will be surfing in Huntington Beach, CA. We have found one company who will do family lessons. How long does it take to get from DL to Huntington Beach for 7:30 AM surf lessons? Does anyone have a surf company they recommend or do you think all the big ones are pretty much the same? Tent site at Pismo State Beach booked.

July 15 = We decided not to go as far north so that we can enjoy some of the beach time. Are there shells at Half Moon Bay? Tent site at Half Moon Bay State Beach booked.

July 16 = Exploring San Francisco. Since we really only have 1 day in San Francisco, would you recommend a tour? DH and I have done them before (long ago) but it seems expensive for 4 people (we now have the 2 kiddos) and I am wondering if we can see enough on our own and then save the money for dinner down by the pier or something? Best Western Fisherman's Wharf booked.

July 17 = Up EARLY! We will be hauling from San Francisco almost to Yellowstone National Park. We are still looking for a hotel and are planning on making it to possibly Idaho Falls (or there about).

July 18-19 = Exploring at Yellowstone. Campsite at Rainbow Point Campground outside of Yellowstone.

July 20 = Up EARLY. Yellowstone National Park to the Badlands National Park. We are camping at the KOA there (have stayed there before).

July 21 = Finally back to MN.

It was great to read everyone's ideas and make reservations. The plans are coming along and we are all getting excited! If anyone wants to add any more comments, we always appreciate it.
jenTMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:

July 15 = We decided not to go as far north so that we can enjoy some of the beach time. Are there shells at Half Moon Bay? Tent site at Half Moon Bay State Beach booked.

July 16 = Exploring San Francisco. Since we really only have 1 day in San Francisco, would you recommend a tour? DH and I have done them before (long ago) but it seems expensive for 4 people (we now have the 2 kiddos) and I am wondering if we can see enough on our own and then save the money for dinner down by the pier or something? Best Western Fisherman's Wharf booked.

Not sure about shells- but there is horseback riding on the beach- the way coolest thing we did on our last trip there! Kids have to be a certain age and experience level though-http://www.horserentals.com/seahorse.html

I don't know about a tour- I guess it is a good way to cram a lot in one day- you don't have to worry about parking and such- it just isn't how we do things so I can't say if it is worth it there...

There are restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, Pier 39, ferry to Alcatraz etc so there is a lot close by, plus the cable cars. I would drive down Lombard Street is you decide to drive around- kids get a kick out of people living on it...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

If you only have one day in San Francisco, then yes, take a city tour on the open air bus. You will see everything and drive over the Golden Gate Bridge.

To get from DL to Huntington Beach, allocate 30 minutes for traffic lights and to park. I am not aware of surfing lessons. You might google that. No doubt any lessons providers will be located at the pier area, the main beach area.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

Quote:
Most people who we talk to think we are crazy to drive from MN to CA and then when they hear our full plan, they just shake their heads!
DH wants to drive from Toronto, Canada to California He and our 3 DS's are on board, they are just waiting for me to say yes
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: