Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Love a Road Trip...but have questions!

Hello Everyone! We are driving from Minnesota to California during July. The trip is laid out on the calendar and there is a bit of flexibility. I realize that much of what we are doing to some people will see too fast, too much and just crazy but we love family road trips so we are prepared for it!

Here is our plan and I will put questions where I have them.

July 3 = MN to Denver, CO. We will be stopping for dinner at Casa Bonitas and then staying at a hotel.

July 4 = Denver, CO to Moab, UT. We are thinking of booking a tent site at the KOA. They have a pool and most KOAs are decent.

July 5 = Exploring around Moab.

July 6 = Moab, UT to Bryce, UT. We need to find camping.

July 7 = Bryce, UT to Las Vegas, NV. We will be staying at Mandalay Bay.

July 8 = Las Vegas.

July 9 = Las Vegas, NV to Disneyland. We have 5 nights at PPH and 5 day park hopper passes.

July 14 = We will be surfing in Huntington Beach, CA. We have found one company who will do family lessons. How long does it take to get from DL to Huntington Beach for 7:30 AM surf lessons? After surfing, we are planning on driving up the coast to Pismo Beach, CA. We hope to find camping in that area. Is it reasonable to think we can drive up the coast like that in a day? Our surf lessons end around 9:30 AM. We were hoping to enjoy the beach a short bit, stop at a beach for a picnic lunch and make it to Pismo in time to set up camp. We might have to find a hotel.

July 15 = This is our questionable day....any advice is good.. I want to drive from Pismo Beach up to the National Seashore and camp at Point Reyes....but it seems like a long drive that would not really allow us to enjoy anything other then driving and setting up camp. We also thought of driving from Pismo Beach to Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruise (although this seems like it would make us spend too much time driving the next day to get to San Francisco). We want to be able to camp and if at all possible, camp where we can at least see the ocean. There are plenty of sites at Point Reyes.

July 16 = Driving into San Francisco. We have reservations at Fisherman's Wharf (Best Western at Fisherman's Wharf). We hope to explore Pier 39 and maybe a little more.

July 17 = Up EARLY! We will be hauling from San Francisco to Yellowstone National Park. We will be getting a hotel outside of Yellowstone.

July 18-19 = Exploring at Yellowstone. We still need camping for this time. KOA does have sites and we will do that if we need to. We know nothing about Yellowstone so we still have to research this.

July 20 = Up EARLY. Yellowstone National Park to the Badlands National Park. We are camping at the KOA there (have stayed there before).

July 21 = Finally back to MN.

We could add 1-2 days in at any point after our DL trip if we really had to. I am wondering if it is worth adding in 1 day as we drive up the coast? Is the drive going to be too long to really enjoy the coast? We know that we are cramming in a lot of stuff but we just want to see as much as possible and enjoy our last big road trip as DD will be a senior and who knows if we will ever have this same opportunity again. We are lucky because DH and I are teachers so we do have the time.

Any advice anyone wants to give is welcome. Thanks!
jenTMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
July 17 = Up EARLY! We will be hauling from San Francisco to Yellowstone National Park. We will be getting a hotel outside of Yellowstone.
Isn't that like a 16 hour drive with no stops? I don't know anyone who did it in one day.... with food and potty breaks you will be on the road like 20 hours?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Pismo Beach up to the National Seashore and camp at Point Reyes
If you go inland it is a much shorter time- but it sounds like you want to drive along the coast- that would be about 6 hours with no stops? Maybe someone will know better- it sounds like you need a bit of fun to break up the driving- I would stop in Santa Cruz and hit the boardwalk- you can ride a ride or two, play in the sand, eat fair food, play some fair type games... great family fun spot- for teens too...

It is free to just walk around and you can pay for each ride separately- so it is a good place to go for just an afternoon or evening...

Last edited by danaesacto; 02-08-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: I type too fast for accurate spelling
danaesacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
Isn't that like a 16 hour drive with no stops? I don't know anyone who did it in one day.... with food and potty breaks you will be on the road like 20 hours?
Yep...it is 16 some hours. We know that we might not make it all the way there but we will go really close. I know that we will have to stay at a hotel late at night. We are used to driving from MN to WDW without stopping. We have also gone from MN to NY without stopping. Our family is great at road trips. We will also have a cooler and hope that we don't have any major food stops other then picking up food or getting something quick to go.

Craziness to some but we will be good with it.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
If you go inland it is a much shorter time- but it sounds like you want to drive along the coast- that would be about 6 hours with no stops? Maybe someone will know better- it sounds like you need a bit of fun to break up the driving- I would stop in Santa Cruz and hit the boardwalk- you can ride a ride or two, play in the sand, eat fair food, play some fair type games... great family fun spot- for teens too...
Good to know that Santa Cruz would be a cool place to stop. That is almost why I wonder if we need to not go all the way up to the National Seashore but I really would love to get that far if I am driving all the way to CA.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
bcla
DIS Veteran

Why not stay in public campground when you can? A lot of the spaces are first-come, first-served, but a lot can be reserved. They're great bargains although they may not have a lot of amenities. However, there's something special about waking up right in a national park. I looked, and Devil's Garden Campground at Arches NP has reserved sites for your timeframe. Camping at Bryce, I saw one reservable site at North Campground and several at Sunset Campground. Other than that, there are Forest Service campgrounds around the area. Ruby's Inn also has tent sites at their campground and RV park.

http://www.brycecanyoncampgrounds.com/
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...mping-250.html
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Why not stay in public campground when you can? A lot of the spaces are first-come, first-served, but a lot can be reserved. They're great bargains although they may not have a lot of amenities. However, there's something special about waking up right in a national park. I looked, and Devil's Garden Campground at Arches NP has reserved sites for your timeframe. Camping at Bryce, I saw one reservable site at North Campground and several at Sunset Campground. Other than that, there are Forest Service campgrounds around the area. Ruby's Inn also has tent sites at their campground and RV park.

http://www.brycecanyoncampgrounds.com/
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...mping-250.html
I think we are going to stay at one in Bryce. We just didn't want to do 2 nights right at the beginning of the trip without showers or a pool. The kids will love the KOA pool on a hot 4th of July night.

We will try in Yellowstone as well but know that we have the KOA as a back up.

We generally do National Parks when we can but since it is such a busy time of the year, we might go with camping that we know we have a reservation for. Hard to say.

I LOVE the camp sites at Point Reyes and that is part of what is driving me north!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenTMV View Post
Yep...it is 16 some hours. We know that we might not make it all the way there but we will go really close. I know that we will have to stay at a hotel late at night. We are used to driving from MN to WDW without stopping. We have also gone from MN to NY without stopping. Our family is great at road trips. We will also have a cooler and hope that we don't have any major food stops other then picking up food or getting something quick to go.

Craziness to some but we will be good with it.

Oh I get crazy, we push through some parts of our road trips too- I just thought 16-20 hours seemed like a lot
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
bcla
DIS Veteran

Oh - there's no car camping near Point Reyes where you can see the ocean. The only car campground in the area is the Olema RV Resort and Campground. You'll be looking at a lot of trees if you stay there. That section of California Route 1 has no views of the ocean.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Olema+...n,+CA&t=h&z=18

Where you can see the ocean at a campsite would be Coast Camp or Wildcat Camp. It's about a 2 mile uphill hike or a 3 mile flat hike to Coast. These are designated backpacking campgrounds.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Another option would be the campground at Mt Tamalpais. If you can't get that, there are plenty of places to stay in Marin or Sonoma.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Oh I get crazy, we push through some parts of our road trips too- I just thought 16-20 hours seemed like a lot
Most people who we talk to think we are crazy to drive from MN to CA and then when they hear our full plan, they just shake their heads!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Oh - there's no car camping near Point Reyes where you can see the ocean. The only car campground in the area is the Olema RV Resort and Campground. You'll be looking at a lot of trees if you stay there. That section of California Route 1 has no views of the ocean.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Olema+...n,+CA&t=h&z=18

Where you can see the ocean at a campsite would be Coast Camp or Wildcat Camp. It's about a 2 mile uphill hike or a 3 mile flat hike to Coast. These are designated backpacking campgrounds.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Another option would be the campground at Mt Tamalpais. If you can't get that, there are plenty of places to stay in Marin or Sonoma.
We are looking at the hike in camp sites. We don't have a problem with hiking in and have the equipment for it.

I would also really like to look in Stinson Beach because I love what I have read about that beach but I haven't found camping there yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
bcla
DIS Veteran

Again, what campsites in Point Reyes? I'm a huge Point Reyes fan, but all the NPS campgrounds are walk-in for backpackers. The only private campground in the area is well inland with no views of the ocean. There aren't really any other campgrounds in the area other than the state parks, and they're also inland.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Again, what campsites in Point Reyes? I'm a huge Point Reyes fan, but all the NPS campgrounds are walk-in for backpackers. The only private campground in the area is well inland with no views of the ocean. There aren't really any other campgrounds in the area other than the state parks, and they're also inland.
We are looking at the NPS campground that is a walk-in sites. We have backpacks and equipment and have done it before. We have been looking at the Coast Camp and the sites that are close to the ocean.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
bcla
DIS Veteran

Oh - you were talking pools and showers, which didn't seem to mesh with backpacking. I looked, and all the Coast and Wildcat campsites are available for July 15 now that they can be reserved online.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/ma...ex=CampingSpot

I remember back when they could only be reserved by phone 30 days in advance. I was at the visitor center once when the ranger answering my questions picked up the phone to take a reservation. Back then they filled up very quickly.

Just be careful. A coworker of mine went backpacking in Point Reyes and his kid had an unfortunate experience with poison oak.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
jenTMV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Oh - you were talking pools and showers, which didn't seem to mesh with backpacking.
So True! The thing is...I will be at a hotel the soon after that and so I am good with it. I just didn't want to start our trip off in the desert on the 4th of July being sweaty with several days until we see a hotel.

We could do it and do love it though!

The fun thing is that the whole family is flexible...4 star hotel = LOVE it! Campground with a Pool = FUN times! Backpack Camping = Load it up! Makes life exciting no matter what we decide and I really appreciate that the whole family is like that.

I really appreciate that everyone has been so helpful. Thanks guys!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: