Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Park at Poly, walk to TTC

Is it possible to park at the poly and take the ferry boat to the MK? My kids would love the boat ride. Where should we park once we enter the resort? How do you get to the TTC from the Poly?
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
Is it possible to park at the poly and take the ferry boat to the MK?
Yes, only if you pay for valet.

Quote:
Where should we park once we enter the resort?
The guard will direct you to the valet station. Then valet will take care of actually parking your car.

Quote:
How do you get to the TTC from the Poly?
You can walk. The TTC is on the top right of this map.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/polymap.htm
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Thanks. why do we have to do valet? We wouldn't be staying at the MK, just taking the boat for a ride.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. why do we have to do valet? We wouldn't be staying at the MK, just taking the boat for a ride.
I don't know why you would have to park valet either. But some people get funny about guests parking in resort parking lots when they are staying there. Generally the rule of thumb is 3 hours is you are visiting the resort or having a meal there. I have parked at the Poly multiple times for meals.

Ah - I see - you don't want to pay for parking at TTC because you are not going into the park. I get it. You can also park at the Contemporary and take the monorail to the TTC.

Flame me - but I would just say I am visiting the resort or having a meal there.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, I assumed you wanted to park at Poly and take the boat to MK for the day. Doing that, you would have to valet. If you just want to take the boat to MK and back, you don't need to valet. Just let the guard know what you want to do and you have 3 hours to enjoy the resort and take a boat ride.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much. The boat ride is the attraction in this case. That and the donuts they sell at the TTC. DD has a peanut allergy and can't ever eat donuts--which she loves. the ones at the TTC are peanut free. We discovered that a few days ago on a visit to the MK one morning. Looking forward to doing this in March.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
owl0306
Mouseketeer

you can stay for 3 hrs with self parking and no time limit with valet. Just let the guard know you are viewing the resort and they will give you the ok.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I don't know why you would have to park valet either. But some people get funny about guests parking in resort parking lots when they are staying there. Generally the rule of thumb is 3 hours is you are visiting the resort or having a meal there. I have parked at the Poly multiple times for meals.

Ah - I see - you don't want to pay for parking at TTC because you are not going into the park. I get it. You can also park at the Contemporary and take the monorail to the TTC.

Flame me - but I would just say I am visiting the resort or having a meal there.
I'm not going to flame and neither am I "funny" about this issue. The real problem is all about the size of the resort lots. They just can't handle the number of people who want to do things like this and accommodate the cars of people staying there. The people staying at the resort have no other option for parking really while others just visiting have other options. If you've never experienced not finding a spot at your home resort then you don't know how horrible that is. So, not "funny" about it, just expecting the same thing everyone else expects at their hoe hotel.

The lots are sized to accommodate the resorts own guests and people with ADRs. So, especially if going at a very busy time, try to leave the lot to those folks.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
If you've never experienced not finding a spot at your home resort then you don't know how horrible that is.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
The lots are sized to accommodate the resorts own guests and people with ADRs. So, especially if going at a very busy time, try to leave the lot to those folks.
Just for the record - I park in those lots when I have an ADR or when I am going to visit the resort for another reason - FYI - to see the Christmas decorations. At busy times the CM letting you into the lot will actually check your name off an ADR list.

I am not suggesting abusing the rule, but I think its perfectly legit for the OP to park in either the POLY or the Contemp lot for the purpose of riding the ferry just for fun. While she and her family are there they might actually visit the resort, too. It's probably just as easy to say they are there for a meal, but they could easily say they are just visiting the resort to "look around".

Heck - Disney wants you to come see their resorts. I am glad that it's easy to park in their lots. I am glad they give access to everyone, for the most part. A visit to one of their resorts is probably one of the best ways for people to decide they "have" to stay at the resort. It's awesome advertisment for Disney.

And - BTW - the Contemporary lot is HUGE. Way more spots than cars. Poly is a little more compact, which is WHY I suggested the Contemporary!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Is it possible to park at the poly and take the ferry boat to the MK? My kids would love the boat ride. Where should we park once we enter the resort? How do you get to the TTC from the Poly?
Why not just park at the TTC? That's the parking lot for MK.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
If you are staying at BLT, why would you want to drive to the Polynesian? You can walk or monorail to the MK or TTC, get your donuts and ride the ferry back over to the other location.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Why not just park at the TTC? That's the parking lot for MK.
Because he's not going to the park and presumably would have to pay (although maybe not if a guest at another resort?)
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
padawans
DIS Veteran

We parked at the Poly and rode the monorail around the loop. I really didn't think anything of it. The guards didn't mind. You have 3 hours to visit a resort. Visiting resorts is part of the WDW experience, and it is allowed. I have never had trouble parking at any resort so I don't really see that as an issue.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans
We parked at the Poly and rode the monorail around the loop. I really didn't think anything of it. The guards didn't mind. You have 3 hours to visit a resort. Visiting resorts is part of the WDW experience, and it is allowed. I have never had trouble parking at any resort so I don't really see that as an issue.
People take advantage of the 3 hrs and stay all day and night. Then people that paid to stay at that resort can't find parking.
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: