Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
MissManda
DIS Veteran

Just have to vent a little....

My computer keeps crashing and its getting really annoying. Instead of taking it to get it looked at my DH who is "sorta knowledgeable" in how computers work wants to fix it himself. He believes that the video card has gone bad. So this morning he went to Best Buy and got a new card that cost $130. He made it a point to tell me that the card would also be an upgrade on his computer as well (basically, if the problem is not the video card and the computer is essentially toast he can use it in his computer and it wouldn't have been a waste of money).

So he goes to install the new card to find it doesn't fit in my computer. So instead of returning the video card (or at least trying to....I don't know if they can be returned or not), he puts it in his computer and then goes back to Best Buy to get another video card. He does this while I am grocery shopping and I can't talk him out of it. I'm so frustrated by this. To me, it's a waste of $130. Yes it was an upgrade for his computer, but it isn't necessary. That money could ve used so much more wisely. Just another example of me trying to be frugal/reasonable and saving money and him not thinking or caring.

Sorry for the vent but I just needed to get that off my chest and I figured it's better to do that here than starting an argument with him right before we have to get ready for a big family dinner.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
MissManda
DIS Veteran

Also, if the problem isn't with the video card, then we are essentially out the cost of both video cards.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissManda View Post
Also, if the problem isn't with the video card, then we are essentially out the cost of both video cards.
Way to rub salt into the wound. So long, stress free big family dinner.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Just to spread a little oil on the water here, there IS a known issue with Gforce type cards going bad and causing random reboots. My own computer suffered from this the last few weeks -- up until the main file table corrupted itself, and now I have a big paperweight.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Sorry, I'd be peeved to if my DH did that venting is a good thing!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
MissManda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
Just to spread a little oil on the water here, there IS a known issue with Gforce type cards going bad and causing random reboots. My own computer suffered from this the last few weeks -- up until the main file table corrupted itself, and now I have a big paperweight.
My video card was a GeForce. It was working fine and then all of a sudden my monitor would shut off and then the computer would restart. It also looks like the fan on it may have not been working right. After the first crash, it started to rattle some. I am hoping that a video card will fix it. I don't want a paperweight. I also don't want him to spend the equivalent of a new PC trying to figure out what is wrong!

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

There are literally dozens of things that could cause this problem; everything from software issues to hardware issues. A graphics card issue is only one of them and prescribing a cure before diagnosing the illness isn't usually productive.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
low-key
DIS Veteran

Computers are becoming throw away items when they break

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: