Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,858

Ok, Tell Me How She Feels So That I Can Understand

Where am I wrong in this situation?

DS and DIL are separated. She moved out and moved in with her mom.

Right after she moved out, ds got a really fantastic job out of town. He is gone Mon-Fri, unless they have a rain-out and then he is gone Sat. too. He has an apartment in the town with his work, stays with me on the weekends so that he can see his dds.

Since he started the new job, he has worked every Saturday and one Sunday.

The first two weekends, I would meet her and get the girls on Friday nights so that they would be at my house when he got home. I can't do that now because dd has Show Choir competitions every weekend. The girls are too young to spend the day at a competition. I told dil that this was coming and that ds would get the girls when he got home. She got mad at me and acted like I don't want to see the girls. Which is not true at all.

Yesterday she texted me and I asked if "wanted" the girls. Of course I want them! But, dd has a competition Saturday and we won't be home until late. So I told her that she and ds would have to work out him picking them up Saturday night. (it worked out that he doesn't have to work Saturday so he is getting them now actually).

Then she sends another text that she is going out of state over the weekend in about 3 weeks and one of us would need to keep the girls. And that she told ds he needed to be in town as much as possible. She is going to a concert.

DS has all intentions of having the girls, so no real problem except I told her that IF he has to work that Saturday, I wouldn't be able to watch them due to another competition so she may need to have a back up just in case. So, now she is mad again.

Show choir season is only for 2-3 months and this just happens to be that time of year. I would keep the girls any other time, just not on days with competitions.

She is mad because ds might have to work and she is mad because I can't keep them if he does. DS told her that he cannot call in at work--it would be risking his job. So, I really don't know what she wants us to do.

Every moment he is off from work, he is with his daughters, except for a couple of hours on Saturday night when he goes to his wrestling show. He picks them up after or she brings them to him. He told her that he would let the promotion know that he wouldn't be there the weekend of the concert but that doesn't seem to be enough. I told her that its possible that if she can get her mom or dad to keep them, I would pick them up after the competition but I can't guarantee a time because it all depends on how the choir does. Not good enough.

So, I have basically said nothing else to her and let her stew. I can't change anything. But, then I wondered, is there something I am not seeing?
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
krcit
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,376

I think she has the kids all the time and needs a break. She also probably thinks he should make the most out of his time with them.
__________________


krcit is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

 
badblackpug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Where am I wrong in this situation?

DS and DIL are separated. She moved out and moved in with her mom.

Right after she moved out, ds got a really fantastic job out of town. He is gone Mon-Fri, unless they have a rain-out and then he is gone Sat. too. He has an apartment in the town with his work, stays with me on the weekends so that he can see his dds.

Since he started the new job, he has worked every Saturday and one Sunday.

The first two weekends, I would meet her and get the girls on Friday nights so that they would be at my house when he got home. I can't do that now because dd has Show Choir competitions every weekend. The girls are too young to spend the day at a competition. I told dil that this was coming and that ds would get the girls when he got home. She got mad at me and acted like I don't want to see the girls. Which is not true at all.

Yesterday she texted me and I asked if "wanted" the girls. Of course I want them! But, dd has a competition Saturday and we won't be home until late. So I told her that she and ds would have to work out him picking them up Saturday night. (it worked out that he doesn't have to work Saturday so he is getting them now actually).

Then she sends another text that she is going out of state over the weekend in about 3 weeks and one of us would need to keep the girls. And that she told ds he needed to be in town as much as possible. She is going to a concert.

DS has all intentions of having the girls, so no real problem except I told her that IF he has to work that Saturday, I wouldn't be able to watch them due to another competition so she may need to have a back up just in case. So, now she is mad again.

Show choir season is only for 2-3 months and this just happens to be that time of year. I would keep the girls any other time, just not on days with competitions.

She is mad because ds might have to work and she is mad because I can't keep them if he does. DS told her that he cannot call in at work--it would be risking his job. So, I really don't know what she wants us to do.

Every moment he is off from work, he is with his daughters, except for a couple of hours on Saturday night when he goes to his wrestling show. He picks them up after or she brings them to him. He told her that he would let the promotion know that he wouldn't be there the weekend of the concert but that doesn't seem to be enough. I told her that its possible that if she can get her mom or dad to keep them, I would pick them up after the competition but I can't guarantee a time because it all depends on how the choir does. Not good enough.

So, I have basically said nothing else to her and let her stew. I can't change anything. But, then I wondered, is there something I am not seeing?
What is their custody/visitation agreement?

If it is their agreement that he is to have the children on the weekends, then it is his responsibility to find childcare if he has to work or makes alternate plans.

If they have no custody/visitation agreement, then they need to get one so that they can make definite plans as to what they are going to do on weekends.

The way I see it, you shouldn't be involved in this at all. They are your son's kids and his responsibility to find childcare if he is unable to pick them up.
__________________
badblackpug is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
dislal
DIS Veteran
 
dislal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Where am I wrong in this situation?

DS and DIL are separated. She moved out and moved in with her mom.

Right after she moved out, ds got a really fantastic job out of town. He is gone Mon-Fri, unless they have a rain-out and then he is gone Sat. too. He has an apartment in the town with his work, stays with me on the weekends so that he can see his dds.

Since he started the new job, he has worked every Saturday and one Sunday.

The first two weekends, I would meet her and get the girls on Friday nights so that they would be at my house when he got home. I can't do that now because dd has Show Choir competitions every weekend. The girls are too young to spend the day at a competition. I told dil that this was coming and that ds would get the girls when he got home. She got mad at me and acted like I don't want to see the girls. Which is not true at all.

Yesterday she texted me and I asked if "wanted" the girls. Of course I want them! But, dd has a competition Saturday and we won't be home until late. So I told her that she and ds would have to work out him picking them up Saturday night. (it worked out that he doesn't have to work Saturday so he is getting them now actually).

Then she sends another text that she is going out of state over the weekend in about 3 weeks and one of us would need to keep the girls. And that she told ds he needed to be in town as much as possible. She is going to a concert.

DS has all intentions of having the girls, so no real problem except I told her that IF he has to work that Saturday, I wouldn't be able to watch them due to another competition so she may need to have a back up just in case. So, now she is mad again.

Show choir season is only for 2-3 months and this just happens to be that time of year. I would keep the girls any other time, just not on days with competitions.

She is mad because ds might have to work and she is mad because I can't keep them if he does. DS told her that he cannot call in at work--it would be risking his job. So, I really don't know what she wants us to do.

Every moment he is off from work, he is with his daughters, except for a couple of hours on Saturday night when he goes to his wrestling show. He picks them up after or she brings them to him. He told her that he would let the promotion know that he wouldn't be there the weekend of the concert but that doesn't seem to be enough. I told her that its possible that if she can get her mom or dad to keep them, I would pick them up after the competition but I can't guarantee a time because it all depends on how the choir does. Not good enough.

So, I have basically said nothing else to her and let her stew. I can't change anything. But, then I wondered, is there something I am not seeing?
I really don't have much experience in this kind of situation, but if this is a time when your DS has the "custody" of the girls shouldn't HE be the one finding a babysitter?

Good luck I hope you can work something out for the sake of the girls
__________________
DH Me DD18 :DD15 DS13 :
dislal is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"
 
JVL1018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 6,275

If it's your son's scheduled time with his girls, I would think if something comes up, he would need to have the back up plan, not the mom.
He's responsible for them on weekends I'm guessing since you said either he or you take them?
If for some reason(work) he can't take them, and his back up plan(you) can't take them because you have another engagement, I would expect him to find another back up plan, especially since he knew you'd be busy with your daughter 2-3 months.
__________________
Vicki in NJ

JVL1018 is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
What is their custody/visitation agreement?

If it is their agreement that he is to have the children on the weekends, then it is his responsibility to find childcare if he has to work or makes alternate plans.

If they have no custody/visitation agreement, then they need to get one so that they can make definite plans as to what they are going to do on weekends.

The way I see it, you shouldn't be involved in this at all. They are your son's kids and his responsibility to find childcare if he is unable to pick them up.


It shouldn't be this complicated. The two of them need to figure it out.
Janepod is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Where am I wrong in this situation?

DS and DIL are separated. She moved out and moved in with her mom.

Right after she moved out, ds got a really fantastic job out of town. He is gone Mon-Fri, unless they have a rain-out and then he is gone Sat. too. He has an apartment in the town with his work, stays with me on the weekends so that he can see his dds.

Since he started the new job, he has worked every Saturday and one Sunday.

The first two weekends, I would meet her and get the girls on Friday nights so that they would be at my house when he got home. I can't do that now because dd has Show Choir competitions every weekend. The girls are too young to spend the day at a competition. I told dil that this was coming and that ds would get the girls when he got home. She got mad at me and acted like I don't want to see the girls. Which is not true at all.

Yesterday she texted me and I asked if "wanted" the girls. Of course I want them! But, dd has a competition Saturday and we won't be home until late. So I told her that she and ds would have to work out him picking them up Saturday night. (it worked out that he doesn't have to work Saturday so he is getting them now actually).

Then she sends another text that she is going out of state over the weekend in about 3 weeks and one of us would need to keep the girls. And that she told ds he needed to be in town as much as possible. She is going to a concert.

DS has all intentions of having the girls, so no real problem except I told her that IF he has to work that Saturday, I wouldn't be able to watch them due to another competition so she may need to have a back up just in case. So, now she is mad again.

Show choir season is only for 2-3 months and this just happens to be that time of year. I would keep the girls any other time, just not on days with competitions.

She is mad because ds might have to work and she is mad because I can't keep them if he does. DS told her that he cannot call in at work--it would be risking his job. So, I really don't know what she wants us to do.

Every moment he is off from work, he is with his daughters, except for a couple of hours on Saturday night when he goes to his wrestling show. He picks them up after or she brings them to him. He told her that he would let the promotion know that he wouldn't be there the weekend of the concert but that doesn't seem to be enough. I told her that its possible that if she can get her mom or dad to keep them, I would pick them up after the competition but I can't guarantee a time because it all depends on how the choir does. Not good enough.

So, I have basically said nothing else to her and let her stew. I can't change anything. But, then I wondered, is there something I am not seeing?
She thinks there are times he is supposed to be responsible for the girls. However, you're telling her that if he's not available and you're not available, then SHE has to find other arrangements.

Sorry, I agree with her. If your DS wants the kids every weekend, then HE makes arrangements to take care of them. Whether that's you or someone else, HE'S responsible.

IMO, you shouldn't be talking to her. Let DS make the arrangments, even if it's "My mom will be picking them up."

Just my opinion.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2013 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
RitaE
DIS Veteran
 
RitaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,187

I guess I don't understand here. Your son has custody of his daughter on the weekends. If he has to work, then it is up to HIM to find childcare for the daughter, the same way every other parent has to find childcare when they need to work.

I understand this is frustrating for you because you have been put in the middle and this isn't your battle. But I also fully understand how your Daughter In Law feels. You son is starting to play the "I want custody, when it is convenient, I'll let you know when that is about 10 minutes before I plan to pick the kids up and when I call please have her ready to go immediately because my time is valuable. Otherwise, when I have something else to do, you are going to keep her." kind of game.

I've never gone through it myself but I have plenty of divorced friends who have and it is EXTREMELY difficult for them.

What you are receiving is the brunt of this battle. Tell your son that he needs to handle it.
RitaE is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.
 
minkydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 16,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
I think she has the kids all the time and needs a break. She also probably thinks he should make the most out of his time with them.
I agree. This is their problem to work out. If the mom is doing childcare 5-7 days a week, I imagine she is getting burnt out. And frankly, I think your son needs to do whatever it takes to make it work. He is the one who moved out of town, so he's the one who needs to bend over backwards to take care of his kids. If you can help them out, that's just icing on the cake. But she's given him 3 weeks notice. That seems to me plenty of time to figure out who's going to get the kids.
__________________
Never underestimate the determination of the mother with a handicapped child
minkydog is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Where am I wrong in this situation?

DS and DIL are separated. She moved out and moved in with her mom.

Right after she moved out, ds got a really fantastic job out of town. He is gone Mon-Fri, unless they have a rain-out and then he is gone Sat. too. He has an apartment in the town with his work, stays with me on the weekends so that he can see his dds.

Since he started the new job, he has worked every Saturday and one Sunday.

The first two weekends, I would meet her and get the girls on Friday nights so that they would be at my house when he got home. I can't do that now because dd has Show Choir competitions every weekend. The girls are too young to spend the day at a competition. I told dil that this was coming and that ds would get the girls when he got home. She got mad at me and acted like I don't want to see the girls. Which is not true at all.

Yesterday she texted me and I asked if "wanted" the girls. Of course I want them! But, dd has a competition Saturday and we won't be home until late. So I told her that she and ds would have to work out him picking them up Saturday night. (it worked out that he doesn't have to work Saturday so he is getting them now actually).

Then she sends another text that she is going out of state over the weekend in about 3 weeks and one of us would need to keep the girls. And that she told ds he needed to be in town as much as possible. She is going to a concert.

DS has all intentions of having the girls, so no real problem except I told her that IF he has to work that Saturday, I wouldn't be able to watch them due to another competition so she may need to have a back up just in case. So, now she is mad again.

Show choir season is only for 2-3 months and this just happens to be that time of year. I would keep the girls any other time, just not on days with competitions.

She is mad because ds might have to work and she is mad because I can't keep them if he does. DS told her that he cannot call in at work--it would be risking his job. So, I really don't know what she wants us to do.

Every moment he is off from work, he is with his daughters, except for a couple of hours on Saturday night when he goes to his wrestling show. He picks them up after or she brings them to him. He told her that he would let the promotion know that he wouldn't be there the weekend of the concert but that doesn't seem to be enough. I told her that its possible that if she can get her mom or dad to keep them, I would pick them up after the competition but I can't guarantee a time because it all depends on how the choir does. Not good enough.

So, I have basically said nothing else to her and let her stew. I can't change anything. But, then I wondered, is there something I am not seeing?
You say your son is with his daughter "every moment he is off work..." but you also say:

He works M - F out of town.
He has worked every Saturday, as well.
He has worked one Sunday, too.
He goes to a wrestling show on Saturday nights for a few hours.

I'm guessing the DIL feels like your son isn't spending much time with the girls.

I assume she is mad at you by proxy since she has to make arrangements for the care of the girls through you because you are around more than your son.

Why are you involved? This should be between the two of them.
LisaR is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
abdmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
What is their custody/visitation agreement?

If it is their agreement that he is to have the children on the weekends, then it is his responsibility to find childcare if he has to work or makes alternate plans.

If they have no custody/visitation agreement, then they need to get one so that they can make definite plans as to what they are going to do on weekends.

The way I see it, you shouldn't be involved in this at all. They are your son's kids and his responsibility to find childcare if he is unable to pick them up.
This

They need a custody agreement asap. If there is one that says that he is to look after them on the weekends and he is not fulfilling his part of the agreement, she needs to take him back to court.
abdmom is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
msjprincess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,050

If your son has to work on his weekend it's his responsibility to find a babysitter.
msjprincess is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
teller80
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: near lake erie
Posts: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Since he started the new job, he has worked every Saturday and one Sunday...

Every moment he is off from work, he is with his daughters, except for a couple of hours on Saturday night when he goes to his wrestling show.
How often does he go to this wresting show? It doesn't sound like he has that much time as it with the kids.
teller80 is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
shortbun
Peacenik
 
shortbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: The Heart of It All!
Posts: 18,717

Read your post from your DIL's point of view. It seems like your son is too busy for his daughters. Perhaps THIS is one of the problems in their marriage. It's not your responsibility to take care of them but really-show choir, and YOU have to be at all those performances over loving on your grandaughters? If I were your dil, I'd be wondering about your whole family and the level of commitment you have to her daughters. You think it's ok that your son goes to a 'wrestling show' every Saturday night instead of parenting but if your DiL, who has the girls all week wants some guarantee that your son will parent his daughters so she can go somewhere, you think that's bad. It's hard to type a response to you and make it read like I mean it-simply pointing out some of the discrepancies in your thinking and explaining how your dil might feel your son is shirking his responsibilities of parenting. When one takes on the responsibility of parenting, other things fall by the wayside. Your son intentionally moved to another city, he has no back up for care of his children when it's his turn to parent. He should hire a babysitter or be there unless previously arranged. She's given him adequate notice that he HAS to take his responsibility as a parent seriously that weekend. He needs to tell his employer he has his children and can not work. Why does the mother have to be primary? If I were her, I'd be working on a limited custody agreement for those girls because it seems that you all consider them a burden rather than a joy. I'm saying that's how she probably feels and the grandaughters will be feeling that as they grow up if their father continues to put wrestling ahead of them. You asked.
__________________
Keep the Faith!! Peace and Love!!!



USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
What is their custody/visitation agreement?

If it is their agreement that he is to have the children on the weekends, then it is his responsibility to find childcare if he has to work or makes alternate plans.

If they have no custody/visitation agreement, then they need to get one so that they can make definite plans as to what they are going to do on weekends.

The way I see it, you shouldn't be involved in this at all. They are your son's kids and his responsibility to find childcare if he is unable to pick them up.
This is what I was going to say! You need to stay out of it and let them work it out.
__________________
Katy Belle is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.