Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
leeg229
Mouseketeer

OP then refined and specified the question later in his post among other questions:

Quote:
"Is it possible to get enough done in one day to feel like we have seen everything we would be interested in?"
But it's whatever, lots of useful info has been posted so OP should be able to make a good decision.
leeg229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
deserrai
DIS Veteran

If you know what you are doing, you can do most of what you want to in one day at MK. Just prioritize and make sure you do the most important things first. DD18 and I went for a one day trip before she left for boot camp. We managed to do nearly everything we wanted at MK and DHS in one day.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
MexiFinn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We will be visiting the park on May 3-4. We would like to see all of the Magic Kingdom in one full day
Not possible. You need to either plan more days there or else make a list of the most important things and then make sure you do those first.
MexiFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
twopearls
Mouseketeer

We went in October. Did three days in MK...one from 8-5, one from 3-10, one from 9-3. Did everything we wanted to do, and it was a long list. There were some rides we didn't do - Stitch, People mover, carousel. Saw both parades, a street party, fireworks, new FL in preview, etc. Those timeframes included all quick service meals. (we did one table service at 5pm before we left the first day). We met a ton of characters (all the princesses), because that was important to my girls. Like, probably spent a total of 2-3 hours just in line for princesses and fairies! If that's not important to you, you'll save time.

Make the list of what you MUST do, and get an early morning plan for those, then move to the B List, etc. Your kids might be old enough to be power park people...always on the go. I have a 13yo and a just-turned 6yo who kept us with us every step of the way and never complained. That helped a lot!!!
twopearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

It is possible. DD and I did it last April. We did every ride and show at MK on a day that it opened at 7 am. We even did the horse drawn carriage down Main St. We also took a long afternoon break back at the resort. A few attractions were closed for maintenance, but not many, I think 2 or 3.I thought Liberty boat was one, but looking at my old post it wasnt.The keys to us doing this successfully were that it was just DD and I so no little kids/old body issues, we are Disney World vets having been over 40 times (DD has, I have been more), and we arrived for a 7 am opening. We got so much done those first two hours. I posted our exact itinerary the next day while still at DW and a lot of people essentially posted that they didn't believe me Trust me, my life is not so pathetic that this would occur to me. We didn't even plan it. Once we realized how much we had done by 9 am we just set the challenge. You know, we weren't even rushed. We did all the big stuff early in the morning and the shows for after our break in the evening.So yes, it is possible. Oh, I forgot this, but we didn't even use a single fast pass!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2909572

Last edited by eeyoresmom; 02-09-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added link
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
maarch
Mouseketeer

It is possible to leave Magic Kingdom having the feeling you've seen everything, if you :

1- Make a list of your MUST DO
2- Arrive at park opening ( or near it )
3- First thing you do is get a Fast Pass
4- Before going to your Fast Pass, go and pick up another Fast Pass, and so on
5- Don't go for the character ( you will see PLENTY on the cruise with less waiting time )
6- Do not wait for parade or firework more than 10 minutes before them.
7- Start your day from Adventure Land ( after getting a fast pass ). Most people start from the right ( Tomorrow Land, to the left ). So this way you will go against the crowd and avoid big wait ( expect in New Fantasy Land. so maybe get your first Fast Pass there )
8- Make all your shopping at the end of the day. ( you will avoid spending way to much this way, and spending way to much time in store. Most of the item throughout the park will be find in the Emporium on main street anyway )

Additional note : If you can, get the Disney apps to know waiting time at different ride, it should help you.

Enjoy Magic Kingdom and Epcot and have fun on your cruise.
maarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time

I personally can't get everything I want to do/see in one day at MK. That being said, it depends on your personal touring plan and the attractions you want to ride and see. Have fun!
Cat0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
zeferjen
Mother Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmom
It is possible. DD and I did it last April. We did every ride and show at MK on a day that it opened at 7 am. We even did the horse drawn carriage down Main St. We also took a long afternoon break back at the resort. A few attractions were closed for maintenance, but not many, I think 2 or 3. Liberty boat was one. The keys to us doing this successfully were that it was just DD and I so no little kids/old body issues, we are Disney World vets having been over 40 times and we arrived for a 7 am opening. We got so much done those first two hours. I posted our exact itinerary the next day while still at DW and a lot of people essentially posted that they didn't believe me Trust me, my life is not so pathetic that this would occur to me. We didn't even plan it. Once we realized how much we had done by 9 am we just set the challenge. You know, we weren't even rushed. We did all the big stuff early in the morning and the shows for after our break in the evening.So yes, it is possible.
Can you link to your itinerary? We will be there over spring break this year

Me Dh Dd 6 Ds5 (he made me pick this avatar!)

My Disneyland Trip Report
zeferjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

The Unofficial Guide to Disney World has a one day touring plan. No, you will not be able to see all the attractions, visit with all the characters and see the parades but you can get a good taste. I am actually more worried that you cannot do Epcot in one day because that is my favorite park and I think it is huge. I think MK has a lot of great attractions but others are meh to me.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Sit down with your children and go to disney.com, look at the maps for MK and the "every parent comes out tired (epcot) park", and make a list of the rides that are must-do for the kiddos. Use the maps to make an itinerary of a "round-trip" for hitting all these must-do attractions, characters, parades, shops, etc. (in other words, minimizing your walking distances to maximize your time there). good luck
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarch View Post
It is possible to leave Magic Kingdom having the feeling you've seen everything, if you :

1- Make a list of your MUST DO
2- Arrive at park opening ( or near it )
3- First thing you do is get a Fast Pass
4- Before going to your Fast Pass, go and pick up another Fast Pass, and so on
5- Don't go for the character ( you will see PLENTY on the cruise with less waiting time )
6- Do not wait for parade or firework more than 10 minutes before them.
7- Start your day from Adventure Land ( after getting a fast pass ). Most people start from the right ( Tomorrow Land, to the left ). So this way you will go against the crowd and avoid big wait ( expect in New Fantasy Land. so maybe get your first Fast Pass there )
8- Make all your shopping at the end of the day. ( you will avoid spending way to much this way, and spending way to much time in store. Most of the item throughout the park will be find in the Emporium on main street anyway )

Additional note : If you can, get the Disney apps to know waiting time at different ride, it should help you.

Enjoy Magic Kingdom and Epcot and have fun on your cruise.
This is the same advice I was going to give with the exception of #7. I'm not sure about that, but could be.

It looks like MK is open 9 to midnight both days with both days being a 6 out of 10 on the crowd scale. If you are there at rope drop with a touring plan, I believe you can do all the things you want in one day. Of course, that is assuming you don't want to do every attraction.

Try to eat lunch either before or after traditional lunch time to avoid wasting lots of time waiting for food. As the PP stated, don't be distracted by characters since you are going on a cruise. That is a much more relaxed environment for meet & greet.

If I were in your shoes, I would plan to make the circle MK twice. I would do the headliners and more popular rides early (utilizing fastpass.) Then, I would spend the later day doing the circle again while doing the shops and lesser attractions.

Epcot has a crowd level of 2 out of 10 on Sunday and 3 out of 10 on Monday. Even though both are low, if the kids will let you, I would do Epcot the first day. Also, you won't be as worn out as if you did MK the first day. The cruise will be a welcome change of pace after a full day at MK.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfirstimers2013 View Post
We will be visiting the park on May 3-4. We would like to see all of the Magic Kingdom in one full day, and then go to Epcot the second. This is our first trip with our kids (ages 7 & 10). We are then going on a Disney Cruise.

What are the lines like at that time of year? Is it possible to get enough done in one day to feel like we have seen everything we would be interested in? We can do both days at Magic Kingdom, but I would love to see Epcot too.

Thanks!
Not for us, maybe for some. We don't just *do* parks, we relax and enjoy them. It's never about seeing how many rides/shows we can do at any given time, that would stress me out and I'd never enjoy it. That's not really what Disney is all about IMO. We like the ambiance as much, or more so, than the attractions.
It can't be rushed.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We have often seen everything at least by our definition. However, we don't do meet and greets, see the afternoon parade or castle court shows, or spend a lot of time dining and we save the shopping for elsewhere. You do have to get there at opening, plan wisely and use the slower rides for resting. You also have to plan wisely for parades and fireworks if those are a priority.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #29
trishwal
5timer to WDW

We had to go have our son's glasses fixed when he broke them so we ended up only spending about ten hours (noon to 10) at MK last summer, but still managed to have a full day! Here's what we did (our kids are 12 and 15):

Haunted Mansion (it was closed last time we were going to be SURE not to miss it)
Tomorrowland Speedway
People Mover
Carousel of Progress
Buzz Lightyear Spin
Space Mountain (fast pass)
Late Lunch at Cosmic Ray's
Tom Sawyer Island (never miss it)
Hall of Presidents
Dessert at The Plaza Restaurant
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (fastpass)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Cruise
Splash Mountain (fastpass)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (fastpass)

For some reason we just strolled around Fantasyland. We missed the Parade but saw Wishes. It was a VERY rainy day yet we quite enjoyed ourselves, which was most important. And besides, we're going back THIS summer, and usually go only every four years so probably we'll be able to make up what we missed.

Have a great trip!

1984 - First Disney World Visit at age 14
1992 - Disney World Honeymoon with my new husband!
2003 - Disney World with the in-laws, DS's 6th birthday at AK and DD age 2
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
trishwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
maarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
This is the same advice I was going to give with the exception of #7. I'm not sure about that, but could be.

It looks like MK is open 9 to midnight both days with both days being a 6 out of 10 on the crowd scale. If you are there at rope drop with a touring plan, I believe you can do all the things you want in one day. Of course, that is assuming you don't want to do every attraction.

Try to eat lunch either before or after traditional lunch time to avoid wasting lots of time waiting for food. As the PP stated, don't be distracted by characters since you are going on a cruise. That is a much more relaxed environment for meet & greet.

If I were in your shoes, I would plan to make the circle MK twice. I would do the headliners and more popular rides early (utilizing fastpass.) Then, I would spend the later day doing the circle again while doing the shops and lesser attractions.

Epcot has a crowd level of 2 out of 10 on Sunday and 3 out of 10 on Monday. Even though both are low, if the kids will let you, I would do Epcot the first day. Also, you won't be as worn out as if you did MK the first day. The cruise will be a welcome change of pace after a full day at MK.
It's actually something I saw in a tour book for disney. I never believe there was such effect in MK, but since it's circle and people tend to go to the right by default ( human nature ) I decided to give it a try.

Since then, I always start from the left. To my surprise there is a crowd difference in the morning if you start in Adventure Land. I'm not saying you will save hours worth of time, but it'll make visiting the park a bit more enjoyable having to go through less people and waiting a bit less at every rides.
maarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: