Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Check the crowd levels. Rain doesn't necessarily mean it won't be crowded. We were there January 2nd one year in an all day downpour and the Magic Kingdom was packed. You might want to make an ADR if the crowds are predicted to be high.
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
lindsey
DIS Veteran

We had to use our ponchos twice this year. I was glad I had bought decent ones at Wal-Mart. Parks were still fun. We totally walked on the safari in AK. We were called the poncho family -There were six of us in different colors
Jun82 - FW, Aug88 - FW, Oct91 - FW, Oct92 - FW, Dec93 - POR (formerly DL), Feb95 - POR(formerly DL), Jun96 - off site, Dec96 - Poly, Jun99 - FW, Dec00 - FW, Dec02 - FW, Jun04 -FW, Dec05 - BWI & AKL, Feb07 - offsite, Jun07 - ASMo, Oct 08 - ASMu, Feb09 Pop/Bonnet Creek, Sep10 - Bonnet Creek, Nov 11 - Bonnet Creek, Jn 13 - POP, Bonnet Creek, Caribbean Beach, Nov 14 - ASSp

lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJacksGirl View Post
The only "catch" to it was that for many attractions, we had to take our ponchos/raincoats off before entering. I think we got wetter doing that than we did walking in the rain. Just go with it.....a rainy day at Disney is better than a nice day anywhere else!
Tip - take a plastic bag (get a bigger one from maybe Target or Wal Mart) with you and just stuff the ponchos into that for when you are on the attractions. No need to worry about folding them up, etc. Only put the ponchos back into the original (or zipper bag) holders after they have dried off back in your room.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

The first thing to remember is that most of the time, Florida rain is scattered showers/storms. If you end up caught in the rain, it probably won't last very long.

I'd say take a jacket or poncho and continue about your day as normal. On all my trips, I've never been caught in the rain for an extended period of time. On my most recent trip, though, there was a very thick mist/drizzle in the air the whole day we were at MK. It turned into rain a couple of times. But my attitude was, "Hey, I'm at Disney World, not work, and it's about 40 degrees warmer here than at home, so I'm just going to keep on keepin' on and not worry about the weather." We had a great day!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
GordonD
Earning My Ears

Rain has never stopped us, like most have said, enjoy the short lines. What I would like to do is Disney in the SNOW! Though it might not be "fun", it would be a once in a lifetime event, and the pictures of the park and the family would be priceless.
GordonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
KMarston
Mouseketeer

We were in the Magic Kingdom during Easter break several years ago and it poured! Best MK day ever. People left and they never returned. Somewhere I have a picture of my car in an empty parking lot when we left. We rode Splash Mountain over and over without getting off! We rode the carouselle at midnight several times over. We walked onto to Dumbo. On a day that was supposed to be a 10, we did any ride we pleased, with no wait!! We haven't had the opportunity to travel during slow times, so we always have a schedule and spend the first and last part of the day on a crazy agenda! This was like something I've never experienced at WDW!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Just don't use a beach umbrella - we were in AK when it started to rain - put on our ponchos and were walking toward the exit on a crowded walkway. Here comes a man pushing a stroller with a big beach umbrella taking up over half the walkway and keeping others who want to walk quickly from getting around him. Not only that but he had it attached to the stroller so that the spokes were at eye level while people were walking looking downward to avoid the huge puddles and rain hitting their faces.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
mjplantz
Always something to plan...

Definitely some good tips here. We probably overprep a little when we see a considerable chance for a heavier storm. We keep 4 of the cheap ponchos in the bottom of the backpack just to be prepared and then bring some heavier raincoats or thicker ponchos on days it looks worse than a brief shower. We actually picked up some Disney park rain coats at the outlets last year for $5 a piece so we will carry those now.

As far as tips go, I use a cheap poncho for my backpack and always have a hand towel or two at the ready for the rides so that you aren't sitting in water. If you aren't in flip flops or crocs extra socks are great too.

Us DD(18) DD(13)
mjplantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by housetomouse
Check the crowd levels. Rain doesn't necessarily mean it won't be crowded.
True! Especially if it rains several times in the same week. People get tired of being cooped up and go to the parks anyway.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
starrysky
DIS Veteran

We have been at WDW when the forecast had said rain everyday and we never saw any. We have been when it poured down non stop for two days. Neither time did it affect how much fun we had. DH is not keen on ponchos and will only use one if he absolutely has to.
As lots of PPs have said most of the attractions are in doors so you can stay inside most of the time. It does suck when they have to close some of the attractions due to the weather but I do understand they have to keep people safe.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

With no disrespect intended to anyone that has posted in this thread (or on this board in general), it cracks me up the lengths that some people will go to address the possibility of rain. If there's actually significant (read: not the normal afternoon shower) rain in the forecast, that's one thing, but when I hear about the normal daily packing for the parks including ponchos, umbrellas, changes of clothes and ziploc bags, it just makes me laugh. Over 6 trips, I can't think of a single instance where I found myself caught in enough rain that any of that stuff would have been necessary.

Perhaps some day I will find myself stranded and I'll change my tune on this, but to me, the potential cost of a poncho or umbrella that I might have to pick up on the fly (but haven't had to pick up to date) is a reasonable premium to have to pay to not carry around that much gear every moment of my trip. I do get that they are expensive there, but so is everything, just kinda part of the deal, I feel...

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015)
DLR (July 2014) - DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
KellDy
Mouseketeer

We keep cheap ponchos in the stroller just in case. Since getting caught in a downpour one time years ago I now bring extra socks. I ended up buying some so I wouldn't be miserable the rest of the day.
Port Orleans 2001
Doubletree DTD 2006
Windsor Palms 2011
Windsor Palms 2013
KellDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
Pembo
OH-IO

2 years ago we were at the MK in rain that did not stop all day.this was in March. It was raining when we got up at 7 am and it rained and rained and rained. My son was supposed to march in the evening parade and it got cancelled. The rain stopped at 9:55 pm, just in time for Wishes.

We used our ponchos from the Dollar Store and had an umbrella. It is surprising how much there is to do indoors. We also found characters in all kinds of new places - in the store at the end of Space Mountain.

We did leave around 2 pm, went back to our condo and dried our shoes in the dryer.

Ironically, we had a student in the band who had to go to the ER that day for dehydration and another student slipped in Frontierland and broke his hip.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
kmb584
DIS Veteran

While the rain is definitely no fun, throw on a poncho or (my preference) a light weight rain jacket. I purchased a North Face one last year and it was the BEST money EVER spent for a WDW vacation.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

The first time we took our older boys it was pouring when we arrived and continued the next day. They were 6 and 4 at the time so we had a stroller. The one mistake I made was not bringing something to cover the stroller and after about 10 minutes it was soaked, which of course meant wet bottoms. I used the hair dryer on it that night and the next day when it was still raining I remembered to take an extra pancho and towel to cover the stroller!
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: