Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Best DSLR Camera bag for WDW?

I have a Nikon D5100, an 18-55mm lens and a 50mm lens. I plan on purchasing a travel tripod for my next WDW Disney trip and currently have an Amazon Basics backpack-style camera bag for my gear.

The bag is nice and serviceable for my needs at home, but I don't think it's going to work for Disney. I don't want to take off the bag every time I want to take out/put away the camera, change the lens, etc.

I'm looking at sling and shoulder bags, but I'd really love to hear from an experienced WDW photog what they use. A bag that can also hold my room keys, cash and a few necessities - sunscreen, wipes, etc., would be ideal.

Thanks!
lhermiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

bags are evry personal. Some guys may be happy with a ltrash bag, while other want the $500 padded suitcase.

You have to go out and shop. be very touchy feely. I am on my 3rd bag and still not 100% happy.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
BBQMonster
Mouseketeer

My wife bought me a Clik Elite ProBody Sport Backpack last year for Christmas and I love it. Camera can be accessed from the side so you don't have to take it off every-time you want to get your camera out. I carried similar gear on our last trip to Disney World and it worked out great. Even has a "Tuck Away Rain Cover" that comes in very handy in Florida. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Black.html
Good Luck
BBQMonster
BBQMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
kofslinky
Mouseketeer

My camera bag (Case Logic small sling bag) just started dying this past week, a week and a half before my next WDW trip. Needing a replacement, and wanting something that will hold more than the last bag, I got the AmazonBasics backpack style bag and (as long as its not crazy when it finally arrives) I will be taking it with me when I go on the 17th. I'll let you know what I think about it and how it worked for me when I get back around the 23rd if you're interested!

Now if only this blizzard would stop so FedEx will start delivering again and it can arrive...
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhermiston View Post
I have a Nikon D5100, an 18-55mm lens and a 50mm lens. I plan on purchasing a travel tripod for my next WDW Disney trip and currently have an Amazon Basics backpack-style camera bag for my gear.

The bag is nice and serviceable for my needs at home, but I don't think it's going to work for Disney. I don't want to take off the bag every time I want to take out/put away the camera, change the lens, etc.

I'm looking at sling and shoulder bags, but I'd really love to hear from an experienced WDW photog what they use. A bag that can also hold my room keys, cash and a few necessities - sunscreen, wipes, etc., would be ideal.

Thanks!
I don't normally carry a camera bag in the parks. I have a comfy strap on my camera, a Lenscoat Bodybag on that, and sometimes I'll stash an extra lens in the pack we carry the water and rain ponchos in.

When I do carry a bag I've been using a Tamrac Messenger 4 and it's only to carry lenses because I still keep the camera on me. ANd i have been known to borrow my DD's Crumpler bag from time to time.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

As the PP said bags are very personal. I have a whole closet full of bags. Right now, We have two that we primarily use (the wife is also a photog.). I am a Lowepro guy so we have the Slingshot 200 AW and the Fastpack 200. If you are getting a travel tripod, I would recommend a bag that has a tripod attachment. I would also recommend getting a size bigger than will currently fit your equipment. You will fill it up. I would agree that you need to go to a store and try the equipment. Bring your camera and lenses and see how it all works and fits. Like Danielle, most of the time my camera is out and available. A good strap, IMHO, is as important if not more important than the bag. I use the Black Rapid straps.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofslinky View Post
My camera bag (Case Logic small sling bag) just started dying this past week, a week and a half before my next WDW trip. Needing a replacement, and wanting something that will hold more than the last bag, I got the AmazonBasics backpack style bag and (as long as its not crazy when it finally arrives) I will be taking it with me when I go on the 17th. I'll let you know what I think about it and how it worked for me when I get back around the 23rd if you're interested!

Now if only this blizzard would stop so FedEx will start delivering again and it can arrive...
I would love to hear what you think of the backpack. Like I said, my primary concern is the time I'm going to spend taking the camera out and putting it away. It might only take a minute, but that adds up and it slows down the group. Not that our WDW trips are fast-paced by any means, but I don't want to see something that I want to shoot on the way to an attraction/meal/whatever, stop the group, pull out my camera, shoot and then put it back.

Any feedback on how the bag worked for you would be great!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
As the PP said bags are very personal. I have a whole closet full of bags. Right now, We have two that we primarily use (the wife is also a photog.). I am a Lowepro guy so we have the Slingshot 200 AW and the Fastpack 200. If you are getting a travel tripod, I would recommend a bag that has a tripod attachment. I would also recommend getting a size bigger than will currently fit your equipment. You will fill it up. I would agree that you need to go to a store and try the equipment. Bring your camera and lenses and see how it all works and fits. Like Danielle, most of the time my camera is out and available. A good strap, IMHO, is as important if not more important than the bag. I use the Black Rapid straps.
Thanks for the tip on straps, I'm going to look into that right now!

What do you do with your camera on rides like Splash Mountian or even Space Mountain, where you need to make sure it's secure and not flailing around?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What do you do with your camera on rides like Splash Mountian or even Space Mountain, where you need to make sure it's secure and not flailing around?
I hang on to it. On Splash, I'm usually taking pictures. On the more violent rides I stick my leg through my bag and pin it to the floor of the vehicle and just hang onto the camera. With a cross body strap, like the BR, its not that difficult. I very rarely ever put my camera in the bag while in the parks.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
I hang on to it. On Splash, I'm usually taking pictures. On the more violent rides I stick my leg through my bag and pin it to the floor of the vehicle and just hang onto the camera. With a cross body strap, like the BR, its not that difficult. I very rarely ever put my camera in the bag while in the parks.
Great advice. Thanks. What gear do you take with you in the parks?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:

I wear my strap cross body style (Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap), and have the Bodybag on the camera, so it keeps it close to me on rides. I might keep a hand on it, but I really don't worry about it too much. The pack I carry is a hip pack (I think WDW is the only place I can get away with that) and sometimes I have to shift it around but it generally stays on me on rides.

I also carry a plastic bag for rain and water rides.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
I wear my strap cross body style (Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap), and have the Bodybag on the camera, so it keeps it close to me on rides. I might keep a hand on it, but I really don't worry about it too much. The pack I carry is a hip pack (I think WDW is the only place I can get away with that) and sometimes I have to shift it around but it generally stays on me on rides.

I also carry a plastic bag for rain and water rides.
That's a sharp looking strap. Thanks for the tip.

So you keep the Bodybag on the camera until you're ready to shoot? Where do you store your lenses? In the hip pack?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great advice. Thanks. What gear do you take with you in the parks?
I'm probably not the right person to ask because I'm a pack mule. I usually use my 28-70 f2.8 as my walkaround. In my bag, I will have my 18-55 for wide angle use, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for the dark rides and the 70-200 f2.8 for extra reach. My travel tripod (Culmann Magic) is mounted on the side of my backpack. Many times I will also carry an additional camera body w/battery grip. As I said, I carry a lot of gear. I almost forgot about the external flash. Sometimes it will be mounted on my primary camera other times it will be in the bag.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
I'm probably not the right person to ask because I'm a pack mule. I usually use my 28-70 f2.8 as my walkaround. In my bag, I will have my 18-55 for wide angle use, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for the dark rides and the 70-200 f2.8 for extra reach. My travel tripod (Culmann Magic) is mounted on the side of my backpack. Many times I will also carry an additional camera body w/battery grip. As I said, I carry a lot of gear. I almost forgot about the external flash. Sometimes it will be mounted on my primary camera other times it will be in the bag.
Wow! Pack mule is right! I bet that keeps you in great shape, though.

Are you a professional photographer?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! Pack mule is right! I bet that keeps you in great shape, though.

Are you a professional photographer?
I wish I was in great shape! My old knees keep me from being in the shape I wish I could be in. I am retired from my day job, but I work for the Chicagoland Speedway/Route 66 Raceway as the Event Desk Manager of the Media Center during Nascar events and as a staff track photographer the rest of the time. I covered 26 racing events this past year not including shooting events at the Rockford Speedway in my spare time! If you use the definition that 51% of my income is from photography, then no I am not a professional. Do I get paid? Yes, but the bulk of my income comes from pensions. I'm primarily a motorsports photographer. It's great when I can combine my two passions!! You may recognize this lady.

Danica Interview Media Center by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Along with some of her friends (and current boyfriend) Ricky Stenhouse Jr and our friend Justin Allgaier

OSB 0391 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

She is great to work with because she always knows where the camera is!!

Here is Matt Kenseth following his Daytona 500 win last year.

Kenseth 6985 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Five Time Jimmie Johnson with Kasey Kahne just to his right

Jimmie Post Race 0200 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

And one of my favorites of a big crash at Rockford (no injuries).

NSTC 2073 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

I have a pretty good gig!!

Tags
photography, tips and tricks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: