Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

I loved the topic of the thread!! Stupid busy

sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
BonnieJG
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutielulu593 View Post
My family just booked a cruise on the Fantasy for Jan. 4 2014!! We chose that date because its the only time my brother who's in college will be able to go with us. We were planning on going to WDW after the cruise, but he has to be back at school the following day. So, our only other options would be to go to WDW before hand or go after without him. We are thinking of flying in on the 30th or 31st, renting a car and spending 4-5 days at Disney then driving to the port Sat. morning. We don't mind it being a little crowded (When is it not?) However, we went to WDW once in early January (I can't remember the exact date) and it was EXTREMELY crowded to the point where it wasn't that enjoyable.

I would expect it to be busy during New Years Eve and Day, but shouldn't the crowds taper off after that?

When do kids go back to school in FL?

If anyone has traveled to WDW during this time, could you share your experience?

What kind of activities/events do they have on New Year's Eve/Day?
Thanks for starting this thread! We are doing exactly the same thing. We're flying in NYE, going to DTD and will hit Universal, Epcot and MK before our Jan 4th Fantasy cruise. We, too, had no choice with the school schedule for our granddaughter. We know it will be busy, but just being there will be fun.

Are you in our Roll Call thread for the Jan. 4th cruise? It's really busy already!
Sapphire Princess-Hawaii-LA to LA- Apr 14-28, 2012
Celebrity Silhouette-Holy Land-Oct 6-22, 2011
Island Princess-Panama Canal-Nov 11 to Dec 5, 2010
River Countess-Bucharest to Prague-Aug 5-25, 2006
Holland America Westerdam-Baltic Cruise-July 18-30, 2004
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Sea-W. Caribbean-Aug 16-24, 2003
Carnival Legend-Fall Color Cruise-NY to NY-Sept 22-Oct 3, 2002
Grand Princess-Mediterranean-Istanbul to Barcelona-Aug 4-16, 2000
Regal Princess-Alaska-Aug 9-16, 1998

BonnieJG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

No matter when FL locals go back to school/work, expect the last week of December and the first week of January to be stupid busy. You could not pay me to enter the parks at that time of year. Way too crowded to enjoy anything.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
Ready to go
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="cutielulu593"]My family just booked a cruise on the Fantasy for Jan. 4 2014!! We chose that date because its the only time my brother who's in college will be able to go with us. We were planning on going to WDW after the cruise, but he has to be back at school the following day. So, our only other options would be to go to WDW before hand or go after without him. We are thinking of flying in on the 30th or 31st, renting a car and spending 4-5 days at Disney then driving to the port Sat. morning. We don't mind it being a little crowded

We plan on going January 2 and spending three days in park before Dream cruise also. Everything I read before this post I was under the impression crowds would be manageable (now I can see that I didn't take into account what dAte New Years fell on). Oh we'll, we are limited when we can go and just pray it won't be too bad! Good luck and maybe we'll be on same cruise!!!

Dream Fish Extender January 5, 2014 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0SFNNV0E#gid=0
Ready to go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

We were just there Dec 31 through Jan. 2 before a short cruise and DHS was quite busy. Fantasmic was packed for all three shows - standing room only for the first showing. We did get good seats by going in around 50 minutes prior to showtime...this was on the 1st and 2nd - we are not fanatics, just parents of a Fant performer!
We also Resort hopped on the 1st to see the decorations at GF, BC, and YC and the resorts weren't too crowded at all but parking restrictions were in full effect. They were only letting registered guests and those with ADRs in to park in the self-park lots.
We returned Jan. 6th through the 9th, and Epcot wasn't crowded at all. Huge number of premium spots available to watch Illuminations. DH and DD had drinks in La Cava and there were only 8 other people there.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

We decided to go to wdw the day before our Jan 6th cruise and also on the day we got off the cruise, the 10th. I had checked easywdw and they said crowd levels would be a 7 and Epcot would be the park to go to on the 5th, so we did that. It was crazy busy. We rushed and got our fast passes for the new test tract as soon as we entered the park. We were standing at the fp machines at Soarin' the minute the window to get new fp's opened up and they were magically gone -- no more available the rest of the day and the wait was 120+ minutes all day. There was even a 30 min. wait for the Norway ride. In some ways, the crowds were manageable, but it was not exactly my idea of a fabulous time.

Fast forward to the 10th. I knew the marathon was happening that weekend but from what I had read the parks would not be that busy. Easywdw had crowd levels at a 2 and had DHS the park to go to, so we went with that. The park was very busy, much more than we anticipated. Between that and rock n rollercoaster not working all day, we ended up leaving. We thought of going over to Epcot, but the wait time for soarin was 120 min according to our wait time app. We were so tired from the cruise anyways -- something else that I had not anticipated -- and we were ready to leave the Disney crowd, so maybe that's why that day seemed so "meh".

Long story short, the crowds were a lot bigger than we anticipated and if we cruise again that time of year, we probably will just skip the parks. Not worth it, imho.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: