Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

"Au revior...that's French for get out of here!" A Jan '13 AoA TR COMPLETE

Howdy, folks and welcome to my first TR!

If you're just joining my now, I'm Emily and its nice to meet you! Feel free to pop in here and say hello! You can find my PTR here, but I'll give a quick summary anyways.

This trip had a small cast- just my sister and I.

This is me! I'm a sister of Kappa Beta Gamma, a nursing major, and an avid runner.

This is Caitlin, my sister! She's a professional horse trainer, an attempted trivia buff, and also an avid runner. She's not a registered DIS user, but I know she lurks quite a bit. This TR might just bring her out of the wood work because I'm sure she won't be able to resist chiming in!

We traveled to our home away from home from 1/13-1/19 and were pumped to give the Art of Animation a try. I worked in conjunction with a AAA TA to book a park hopper package with the dining plan and a day at Universal to see Harry Potter.

7 Days. 5 Parks. 2 Sisters. Here we go!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Last edited by emilyindisney; 06-14-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Pre-Trip Report

Sunday, January 13th
Sunday...we're on our way!
Where did the Magical Express counter go?!

Monday, January 14th
Monday Morning with the Mouse
A private safari?! (Part two)
Meeting a silly old bear and some jungle royalty
Photopass Pictures
Making a plan of attack

Tuesday, January 15th
Return to AK
The great rental car disaster
Dining under the sea
Best food of the trip

Wednesday, January 16th
Venturing from the World to the Universe
A not so terrifying free fall
"I think we're the oldest people on this ride..."
Closing thoughts on Universal: Islands of Adventure

Thursday, January 17th
12 Hour Magic Marathon
"Au revior...that's French for get out of here"
Celebrate a Dream Come True
Putting their service to the test
The mad dash to watch Wishes

Friday, January 18th
Stormy skies and a nasty CM
Why go to Europe when we get go to Disney instead?
Mickey is mortified!

Saturday, January 19th
A Grand end to a great trip
PTR Announcement!
"See ya real soon" and closing thoughts

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Last edited by emilyindisney; 06-14-2013 at 12:48 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Sunday...we're on our way!

The day is finally here! After months of waiting, it was finally January 13th and we were leaving today. I got up around 10:00, figuring it was better to spend my day sleeping in then sitting around, anxiously waiting to go. Feeling a little festive, I started the day with a Mickey Mouse chocolate chip pancake.

Admittedly, I'm a little bit of an abstract pancake artist but you get the idea. Regardless of shape, it was pretty tasty.

I had packed earlier in the week so Sunday was mostly a waiting game. After I got dressed, I spent most of the afternoon watching a live action recreation of Toy Story on youtube. It was really awesome, so if you've got some time and want to check it out, you can find it here!

My mom was going to drive us to the airport which was great because (1 we wouldn't have to pay to park and (2 we wouldn't have to worry about bundling up in our winter coats to make it from the parking lot to the airport. My mom and I left our house at about 2:30 to head to my sisters apartment to pick her up. At about 3:30 we were BDL bound. At this point, it was still sort of completely surreal that we were actually going to Disney. My mom kept asking if we were excited, and I'm pretty sure I kept telling her no. After months of planning and anticipation it still didn't feel real.

If any of you guys also fly out of BDL, you know its a very small airport. Being in Connecticut, we're not too far from Boston or New York so we don't really have a need for a major airport. That being said, BDL is practically closed after 10 PM at night. Our flight was headed to MCO at 6:30, and couples with the fact that it was a Sunday night, it was fairly quiet. We walked right up to the JetBlue desk to check our luggage and had maybe a 5-10 minute wait to get through security. Deciding it was time for dinner, we grabbed a quick DeAngelo's sandwich before settling in at our gate.

I was a little bummed that I was missing my Pats play the Texans in a playoff game, but luckily I had a prime seat to watch the first half. Everyone else waiting for the flight was getting into the game, so it made the wait go by pretty quick.

We were boarding right at the 2nd quarter ended, but unfortunately the TVs weren't working on our flight so I missed the 3rd and 4th. Luckily, the pilot made regular score announcements. How he was getting the score while flying the plane, I don't know...

Next update: Where did the Magical Express counter go?!

Last edited by emilyindisney; 02-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Hooray! I'm here! I'm first!

Great start! We have a really small airport up here in Vermont too!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Hooray! I'm here! I'm first!

Great start! We have a really small airport up here in Vermont too!
Welcome! Glad you made it!

Yeah, haha, BDL is technically an international airport but that's only because they have like two or three European flights a week! It's funny to go to MCO and have to take a tram from one part of the airport to another when we're used to somewhere so small.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
disneyaddict101
Mouseketeer

Told ya I'd be here! Haha great TR so far
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
tlaw66
Mouseketeer

this sounds like a fun trip count me in till the end
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaw66 View Post
this sounds like a fun trip count me in till the end
Woohoo!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
disneygirl520
Disney: where everyone screams at the sight of a mouse.

Subbing!!! Can't wait to hear more!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl520 View Post
Subbing!!! Can't wait to hear more!!!
Welcome, Heather! Glad you found me!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I've been enjoying reading about fellow DISers' trips who went in January like we did. Can't wait to read more!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

im here

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Joining in! I've been enjoying reading about fellow DISers' trips who went in January like we did. Can't wait to read more!

Feel free to chime in on the crowds. I've heard that this January was one of the busiest on record, though I've never gone in January before so I don't have much to compare to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
im here
Glad to see you!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Feel free to chime in on the crowds. I've heard that this January was one of the busiest on record, though I've never gone in January before so I don't have much to compare to!
Before this trip, we were in Disney in January 2011 and April 2012. Compared to January '11, it was definitely more crowded. And from what I've read on easywdw.com, January '13 as a whole saw more crowds than prior January months especially around MLK weekend. Still, relative to the past year it was low crowd levels. And compared to our April trip, it was overall lower and we had a great time once again!

Not sure is the crowds for this year was an anomaly because of New FL, so we'll see. We still love visiting WDW in January and are planning our '14 trip for January again!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch

Before this trip, we were in Disney in January 2011 and April 2012. Compared to January '11, it was definitely more crowded. And from what I've read on easywdw.com, January '13 as a whole saw more crowds than prior January months especially around MLK weekend. Still, relative to the past year it was low crowd levels. And compared to our April trip, it was overall lower and we had a great time once again!

Not sure is the crowds for this year was an anomaly because of New FL, so we'll see. We still love visiting WDW in January and are planning our '14 trip for January again!
Good to know. We were sort of disappointed with the crowds because we were expecting it to be so, so dead. However the lines were still pretty good so we couldn't really complain. I'd definitely go back in January!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: