Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Anyone else stranded in the North East?

We were set to leave Tonight (Friday) night to drive down to orlando. We have this huge storm coming in and was wondering if anyone else in NJ or the North East is in the same situation as us?

They are saying about a foot of snow where we are, We already had to cancel our Saturday night hotel room. I plan on being up early Sat morning, plowing our driveway and then off we go. Hopefully the storm ends earlier than what they are saying and it isn't as bad.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Sarya
Earning My Ears

I lucked out and still have 18 days before my trip. I am in Central New Jersey and we are mostly rain till about 9pm tonight then some snow. It's really going to be bad in New York and Boston. Tons of flights cancelled every where. It is going to be a doozy.

I hope you are able to get there safe!!

Update if you can.
Sarya is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarya View Post
I lucked out and still have 18 days before my trip. I am in Central New Jersey and we are mostly rain till about 9pm tonight then some snow. It's really going to be bad in New York and Boston. Tons of flights cancelled every where. It is going to be a doozy.

I hope you are able to get there safe!!

Update if you can.
we are in sussex county. Normally we would have probably left but we have a steep driveway and if we dont plow it before we go, we will never make it up when we get home.

also, worried if the power goes out. don't want to leave the house to freeze. we have a generator I can hook up if that happens.

Well, whatever it will be it will be.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
nicolepl17
Earning My Ears

We live in Rockland county NY and we were stranded over hurricane Sandy. Supposed to leave the day before the storm but no flights would go out of any airports here.
We didnt have the option to postpone the trip as my husband has scheduled vacation picks but Disney was very accommodating with canceling our reservations without fees. We booked special holiday tickets and tours which both were advertised as having a no refund for cancelation policy so it was very nice that they honored the cancelation.

I remember with Sandy, the storm was over but it took them an extra day to clean up the runways so it delayed us even more. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
nicolepl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMikey View Post
We were set to leave Tonight (Friday) night to drive down to orlando. We have this huge storm coming in and was wondering if anyone else in NJ or the North East is in the same situation as us?

They are saying about a foot of snow where we are, We already had to cancel our Saturday night hotel room. I plan on being up early Sat morning, plowing our driveway and then off we go. Hopefully the storm ends earlier than what they are saying and it isn't as bad.
I wish you luck in getting out tomorrow. I have to admit, I think I'd have left early and gotten the heck out of dodge in front of the storm. But I'm a Southerner and 6" of snow cripple us, I can't fathom anything more. Heck, we got 3 inches last Saturday and we had to cancel our morning plans till they came by and salted our street. We don't leave our driveway with any white stuff on the road
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
I wish you luck in getting out tomorrow. I have to admit, I think I'd have left early and gotten the heck out of dodge in front of the storm. But I'm a Southerner and 6" of snow cripple us, I can't fathom anything more. Heck, we got 3 inches last Saturday and we had to cancel our morning plans till they came by and salted our street. We don't leave our driveway with any white stuff on the road
yea we are used to snow up here. they take care of the roads pretty good up here working through the nights.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Tomh
DIS Veteran

We are in the North East as well, though we aren't traveling to Disney World right now.

Our current forecast is for 11 to 20 inches of snow before it is all over, and it isn't supposed to end until sometime around mid day Saturday here.

There are some advantages to traveling during the summer school break, one of them being that we don't have to worry about snow storms.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Anyone in Massachusetts that had plans to fly out tonight or tomorrow...aren't going anywhere! We are projected to get up to 30 inches of snow with blizzard conditions. Yikes! So sorry for those that were scheduled to fly! I'm glad I have no place to go.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
OrangeCat04
You may have noticed that im not all there myself ~ Cheshire Cat

OP, I feel your pain. I live near Boston and one year in January we had a trip planned. Got a big storm a day or so before our flight. We were so anxious to find out if we would be able to go since all flights were canceled. We ended up being the first flight out that wasn't canceled. Very nervewracking. Part of the reason we haven't booked a January trip in a few years.

Be Safe, Disney is always waiting there when you are finally able to make it down. Best of luck!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We are outside of Boston and the forecast here is for 24" - 36" of snow with hurricane force winds and moderate to severe coastal flooding. The wind will lead to blowing and drifting 5 - 6 FOOT drifts are possible
I worry if we loose power - and there will be power outages- we loose our heat.
The city is shutting down all public transportation at 3:30. All non essential workers are to be off the roads.
It is forecast as a "historic" storm for us here. We are the bullseye.
Good Luck to all.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMikey View Post

Not stuck because we have no trip to go on, but I figured I would pass on best wishes that you will be able to leave in the morning. I live in the north shore in MA and it looks like we will have the storm until tomorrow evening.

Whenever you get the green light, I hope you have a great vacation.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Stay warm guys! I hope everyone's power stays on!!!
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I've been thinking about all of you guys in the northeast. We're in MD, and so glad to be missing this one. A few years ago, our flight was canceled ahead of the second of two big storms- it was devastating until my DH agreed to drive us to Disney. We drove in-between the storms and drove on roads I would never attempt for work . Even the capital beltway was covered with a couple inches of solid ice in many parts. Its a hard thing to miss a Disney trip . I'm praying that everyone who has a trip planned gets to go at some point, and that all of you stay safe and warm. I know what its like to lose power (and heat and water) too.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
mieshie75
Mouseketeer

We are in lynn mass near the beach and are prepared for a mother of a storm. We always lose power and they are not the best about plowing here . So my kids and I dubbed this disney weekend , movies, Xbox games, and all meals from the disney cookbooks. I even bought apples to apples disney version for the occasion.

I love a warm pig belly for my feet.
mieshie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

I'm in Connecticut and we're looking at 24-30 inches. I hope you can get down there, but please be safe! Good luck and enjoy your trip!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: