Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Onboard airline check-in eligibility

Hi, I was able to check-in for my May cruise today. I had purchased DCL transfers from MCO to PC a few weeks ago, but only one way as we plan to rent a car and go to DTD for the day before our late flight.

I had been under the impression from reading the boards that onboard airline check-in was only available if you purchased air through DCL or a DCL transfer back to MCO. In the spot where they asked you where you were going after the cruise I listed airport by rental car (selected Budget) and put in my flight info for the night we disembark (we have an 8:00 pm flight home).

On the next page it said that we were eligible for onboard check-in and would we like to do it. It asked me the number of bags and had the disclaimer on weight, etc.

Does anyone know if we will actually be able to take advantage of this? Like I said, I had actually asked about check-in at the port because in the past when we cruised out of PC there were airlines at curbside doing check-in. I understand that is no longer an option, but I'm curious as to why they would offer me the onboard option if I am not taking DCL back to MCO.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

I just googled it for you here is the link:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...line-check-in/

Booking & Reservations
Question
If I participate in the Onboard Airline Check-In service, when will I receive my airline boarding passes and luggage tags on board?
Answer
Guests will receive airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags in their stateroom the day prior to disembarkation. A letter will be delivered along with these items to answer any questions you may have and to provide further details about the process.

March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Actually, that doesn't really answer OP's question as to whether she qualifies for onboard airline check in. This link address that question:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...ck-in-service/

and states:

Onboard Airline Check-In is a convenient service that provides Guests who have purchased Disney Cruise Line air or ground transportation the ability to check in their luggage for their flights and receive their airline boarding passes before they disembark the ship.

OP, it would appear that by the rules you would need to utilize DCL transfers from port to MCO, unless you did your airline booking directly through DCL. Probably a glitch in the online check-in since I'm not sure that actually recognizes whether DCL transfers have been purchased. It's only reading that you plan to go to the airport from the port based on your response.

Enjoy your cruise (and day at DTD)!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Actually, that doesn't really answer OP's question as to whether she qualifies for onboard airline check in. This link address that question:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...ck-in-service/

and states:

Onboard Airline Check-In is a convenient service that provides Guests who have purchased Disney Cruise Line air or ground transportation the ability to check in their luggage for their flights and receive their airline boarding passes before they disembark the ship.

OP, it would appear that by the rules you would need to utilize DCL transfers from port to MCO, unless you did your airline booking directly through DCL. Probably a glitch in the online check-in since I'm not sure that actually recognizes whether DCL transfers have been purchased. It's only reading that you plan to go to the airport from the port based on your response.

Enjoy your cruise (and day at DTD)!
You are right I posted the wrong link (too many pages open)

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...ian-caribbean/

scroll at the bottom, says to benefit from Onboard Airline Check-In you must "Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line" I am assuming they mean from port to mco.

You can also call DCL to confirm. I would sign up, worse case scenario you will have to check in at the airport.

If you are eligible they will deliver the luggage tags and boarding passes to your stateroom the day before.
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the answers and link!

And yes, we are all assuming the same thing - that I would need to purchase transfers back to MCO. It just seemed odd that it listed a specific question on how I was getting back to the airport, and even had me list my rental car company (not sure why), and then still gave me that option.

I was planning on renting a car that would fit the five of us plus our luggage and having to arrive back at MCO in time to check-in anyway, so this would be a bonus if it worked out. And if not, nothing lost.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

The DCL website is not very intuitive.

Technically, it said you were eligible because you booked at least one leg of DCL transportation but in actuality you must book the leg of the trip from ship to MCO and be on the bus going from the ship to MCO to partcipate in the Onboard Airline Check In program.

The way it has always worked was if you planned to use DCL transfers from the ship you needed to be on the bus and not rent a car and have DCL transport your bags.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

A little OT, but how can Virgin (the sexiest airline flying) not be part of this program?
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDave View Post
A little OT, but how can Virgin (the sexiest airline flying) not be part of this program?
Regular Virgin can't be because the flight has to be domestic....but not sure why Virgin America or even Southwest has not been added to the list....I guess the airlines have to cooperate as well and maybe they can't work out the details.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Regular Virgin can't be because the flight has to be domestic....but not sure why Virgin America or even Southwest has not been added to the list....I guess the airlines have to cooperate as well and maybe they can't work out the details.

MJ
Ya sorry, meant Virgin America. Once I was able to watch Sunday football for free during a flight I was sold forever on them.
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: