Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
revdon64
Mouseketeer

Clarification on touring vs best parks

As I'm planning our upcoming trip I came across something that the dis is sure to be able to clarify.

So many advise getting to the park at rope drop, doing the most popular/your favorite rides, then taking a break and either hopping elsewhere or coming back for evening. I've also come across the reccommendations about what parks to do on what days. My question is, do these mesh or are they mutually exclusive? For instance, IF I go to a best park should I still break and hop or is that the best park to do commando style? We're probably not getting hoppers as we've had them before and never used them. This also helps me plan our ADRs.

revdon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

I think a lot of what you do depends on when you are going and who is going. If you go during slower time when the park hours aren't as long, then taking a break sometimes isn't as easy.
When we went in September 2010, we hit the parks at rope drop and then headed back to POFQ around 1 each day for a break. Then we would go have dinner. Since the parks closed early during that time, we usually just went back to our room after eating. On our trip in Nov. 2011, we either stayed in the park until we had dinner, usually around 5 or we left earlier, but we never returned.
This year we are going in June and I have planned to do rope drop every day except one and then leave for an afternoon break on most days. This year we will plan to go back to the parks after eating because they will be open later. I used touring plans to pick which days to visit each park. I am visiting most parks on a recomended day, except HS because we will be going to SWW and none of those days are recomended. I also used touring plans for my previous trips and they tended to work well. Hope this helps.
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
revdon64
Mouseketeer

We'll be there the last week of August, which is supposed to be one of the lower attende weeks. We've always done one park all day on our previous trips (2 total). My kids are 7 and 3. My dw isn't much for the rides and would just as soon sit in a show and let the 3y/o nap on her lap. I guess my big concern is about how much time we'd have to spend moving around on busses as opposed to enjoying the atmosphere of a resort of park.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdon64 View Post
We'll be there the last week of August, which is supposed to be one of the lower attende weeks. We've always done one park all day on our previous trips (2 total). My kids are 7 and 3. My dw isn't much for the rides and would just as soon sit in a show and let the 3y/o nap on her lap. I guess my big concern is about how much time we'd have to spend moving around on busses as opposed to enjoying the atmosphere of a resort of park.
I know it seems like you're losing time in all the moving around on buses, but in Aug. you will be much happier if you take a break, and return the park in the evening. I learned the hard way all day touring in that kind of heat and humidity makes for a rough time (and cranky people). I'm from the south, and I'm no stranger to that kind of heat and humidity. But when the sun's at its most intense and bouncing off of all that concrete, it really is horrible and in park breaks don't really help. The only park I'll stay all day in that kind of heat is AK due to its short hours. However, we are usually have accomplished all we care to do by parade time, so we'll scoot out about that time.
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
I know it seems like you're losing time in all the moving around on buses, but in Aug. you will be much happier if you take a break, and return the park in the evening. I learned the hard way all day touring in that kind of heat and humidity makes for a rough time (and cranky people). I'm from the south, and I'm no stranger to that kind of heat and humidity. But when the sun's at its most intense and bouncing off of all that concrete, it really is horrible and in park breaks don't really help. The only park I'll stay all day in that kind of heat is AK due to its short hours. However, we are usually have accomplished all we care to do by parade time, so we'll scoot out about that time.
I agree with this. August can be brutal with the heat. It makes a huge difference to go back for some rest time, hit the pool, or just shower and change socks.

I just wanted to add, that you can take a break even without park hoppers. You just have to go back to the same park that you left after the break.

We'll be there in August this year too.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
revdon64
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input. We've been in November, May and Jnuary before, so August is a new experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: