Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
amy-momofthree
DIS Veteran

Tell me about the water parks...

The kids want to do a water park only trip. We've done Disney several times but never been to the water parks. Their ages are 3, 8,and 10. Should I allow an entire day to a park or just a few hours a day? . We plan on getting annual passes. Is it crucial to get there at RD? Any times during the day less busy? Any other tips? Thank you?
amy-momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

My family loves both water parks but I prefer BB over TL. We only stay from about 10 - 4 then head to the parks at nights. We probably go about 4-5 times during our 2 week stay. We have never been there at rope drop but arrive about a half an hour to an hour later and never had a problem finding a spot or it being to crowded and that is in July !
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We have done both Water parks. I would get there within an hour of opening. We usually stay until about 3 then go back to the hotel and go to a park at night. I suppose you could stay the whole day if you are really into waterparks. They are both nice parks. I think BB has better slides, but you can't beat the swim with the shark experience at TL. Look at both and choose which one you want to do. We find 5hours or so is enough for us at either park.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

We were good for about 5 hours or so before we got "waterlogged" and headed back to our resort.
(The line ups were much better first thing in the morning than they were after lunch.)
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

When my kids were younger, we avoided Typhoon Lagoon. Their wave pool is calm for a while, and then it sends a huge wave crashing toward shore. I don't think it is really ideal for anyone under 7, and the area further out is only good for very strong swimmers. We took our kids there once when they were young, and one ended up getting scraped badly near the shore when a wave knocked him over. The ground is really rough -- as in WAY rougher than you would expect.

With that said, I think both water parks are great. I could easily spend multiple days at both.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
~April~
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
When my kids were younger, we avoided Typhoon Lagoon. Their wave pool is calm for a while, and then it sends a huge wave crashing toward shore. I don't think it is really ideal for anyone under 7, and the area further out is only good for very strong swimmers. We took our kids there once when they were young, and one ended up getting scraped badly near the shore when a wave knocked him over. The ground is really rough -- as in WAY rougher than you would expect.

With that said, I think both water parks are great. I could easily spend multiple days at both.
I agree with this poster. I couldn't believe how bloody and scraped up my son got when he got knocked down while playing in the wave pool. at the time he was 7 years old almost 8. He enjoys playing at the wave pools at parks near us and never received marks from them, I was dissapointed in Disney for having such a rough bottom, both my boys ended up with really bad scrapped up knees and don't ever want to go back to TL because that is what they remember about out last trip. just sad imo.
~April~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
lborne
It all started with a rabbit

We've been to almost every water park in central Florida, including the new Legoland one and the Seaworld one. BB and TL are hands down the best. I refuse to go to any other water park other than those two.

As to which of the two is better, I can't say. I like them both for different reasons. It depends on your mood for the day. Both have lots of great slides for the kids (and me), and lots of shade for when I've had enough sun.

We get the Florida resident after 2 pm passes and when we are entering the parks at 2, there is a steady flow of people leaving who have had their fill. The only negative is that summer afternoons bring thunderstorms that can close the slides. The few times that has happened has actually worked in our favor as it clears out the park even more and once reopened, there are no lines for the slides.

Usually I will spend the first few hours going on slides with my kids, then I relax with a tropical drink, listen to the area music, and enjoy the sights (while keeping an eye on the kids in the wave pool). My boys are old enough that they like the big waves.
lborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Like others, we like both parks for different reasons.

Typhoon Lagoon Plus:
Shark Reef
Crushin' Gusher
Giant waves

Typhoon Lagoon Minus:
Giant waves get old quick, especially once blood has been spilled
Family raft ride is lame
Most of the body & tube slides are boring

Blizzard Beach Plus:
Great family raft ride (Teamboat Springs)
Big thrills for the big kids (Summet Plummet, Slushin' Gusher)
Great mat & tube slides

Blizzard Beach Minus:
LOTS of stair climbing
Nothing really "unique" to set this park apart from any number of other very good non-Disney waterparks.

For us, I'd have a had time picking just one. But, if I had to suggest just one for you, I'd say Blizzard Beach. The slides are just more fun for your older 2, and for your 3-year-old the wave pool & kiddy areas are better suited to that age group there than at TL, IMO.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
amy-momofthree
DIS Veteran

Wow, thanks for all the tips/advice. My kids love water so we will probably do 2 days at each water park. It sounds like there enough there to spend 4 days total at the water parks. At what age do you let your kids go ride the big slides by themselves? The older ones are 10 and 8 and can swim.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
JessM
We all have a dream

I would definitely let your 8 year old and 10 year old go on the slides by themselves. There are lifeguards at the top and bottom of every slide and as long as they are together they should be fine. Your 8 and 10 year olds will probably love the slides and letting them go off on their own for a bit will allow you to spend some time with your 3 year old in the kiddie area.

Both waterparks are beautiful and unlike any others I have ever been too. They are very well themed and have some great slides and attractions! Do the lazy rivers at both parks as a family all 3 kids should like that! Also make sure your older kids get a chance to do shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon, its cold but a great first snorkelling adventure!

We normally go in either October or December so we normally only spend a few hours one afternoon in the waterparks and let me tell you its not enough!
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
stm61
DIS Veteran

When the older kids are ready for a break from the big slides (or you are lol), take them to the Ski Patrol area at BB. It's for kids from around 4ish to 12ish. Everything is kid sized and there's enough to keep the older ones busy. The 3 yr old will be able to do some things there too and you'll have them all in the same area. If you take the little one to Tyke's Peak, the toddler area, they have a "must be under this height" restriction and the older ones will be to tall.
stm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
clareita
Mouseketeer

If shade and lush landscaping is important to you, I would do TL over BB. BB has great slides but the snow theme does nothing for me, and there isn't nearly enough shade for my super pale skin. Maybe the theme isn't for me because I see more than enough snow and cold weather at home. When I'm in Florida, I want to totally forget snow exists!
clareita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
TeamBlack
Mouseketeer

At TL we like the family raft ride and really like the the shark reef. A hidden gem, at both water parks, is a icecream treat called the sand pale (CM's refer to it as the garbage pale.) It's one of the green sand pales full of soft serve and drenched in caramel, chocolate, and whip cream. Easily feed 2 adults and 2 children.
July 1984
TeamBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
amy-momofthree
DIS Veteran

Thank you! My son will LOVE the ice cream idea. Does anyone know if there is a crowd calendar for the water parks? I didn't see one on easy wdw . Com

We are looking at the last week in May which includes Memorial Day or the first week in June? I was hoping maybe the FL schools won't be out yet?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

We happened upon the perfect spot to camp out at TL. Go left as you enter toward the snack bar. Go over the bridge toward the wave pool and find a nice shady spot with the palms at your back. Avoid spots right next to the walkway because people will be cutting through your space all day. This spot also has quick access to the restrooms near the snack bar. Have fun.
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: