Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Rogue1230
Waiting to sail away on a dream

1St Cruise -2 Questions?

I read these boards all the time, like ALL the time and I am confused about drinks?

1. If you are at dinner are you being charged for soft drinks ordered there? should I be bringing a soft drink to dinner?

2. Dinner wear for normal dinner assignment? I am packing for everyone so in addition to the day time shorts and sandals, should I be packing a dress shirt and pants for my husband and 6 yr old son? A dress for myself? We are not planning to go to any fancy palo dinner, but for the evening meals what is expected?
Rogue1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1230 View Post
I read these boards all the time, like ALL the time and I am confused about drinks?

1. If you are at dinner are you being charged for soft drinks ordered there? should I be bringing a soft drink to dinner? No. Soft drinks are free except at the bars, and the cans delivered by room service.

2. Dinner wear for normal dinner assignment? I am packing for everyone so in addition to the day time shorts and sandals, should I be packing a dress shirt and pants for my husband and 6 yr old son? A dress for myself? We are not planning to go to any fancy palo dinner, but for the evening meals what is expected?
A dress is fine, if you want one. Slacks are also appropriate. Disney cruises are more casual than others.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Also, casual khakis and a golf shirt are perfect for men and boys. Sandals are OK for guys too. Inevitably you will see families who disregard the dress code and wear shorts. I wouldn't worry about it though. Not trying to stir up that whole shorts controversy.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Slacks, dress shirt and tie for me, dress for the wife on formal and semi formal night. Khakis and polo shirt for me with slacks and nice top for my wife the other nights in MDR. Trying not to pack to much so suit jacket or tux is out.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV

Last edited by kshark1958; 02-08-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: changed answer
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
jm106
DIS Veteran

I plan dress or skirts for dinner and my kids/DH will be in khakis or dress pants with polo shirts except for semi-formal night they will wear shirts and tie(because they both like getting a chance to wear a tie.)

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Fishteacher
Mouseketeer

We are also leaving on our first cruise next week! I see that the 3 night Bahama cruise has a formal night (on the Disney site). Is this optional or expected? We are also trying to stay under the 40lb weight limit on luggage so I am trying to "pack smart" Thanks!
Fishteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1230 View Post

1. If you are at dinner are you being charged for soft drinks ordered there? should I be bringing a soft drink to dinner?

The drink policy can be a little confusing at first until you get the hang of it.

Basically, at meals you can drink all the soda, ice tea, lemonade, coffee, milk that you want without an extra charge (included in cruise fare or "free"). If you order a smoothie or a drink with alcohol then you will be charged extra. If you order a soda from any of the bars then they will charge you extra. You can get soda and other drinks at the drink station on the upper deck near the pools for no extra charge. If you order soda from room service it will come in a can and you will be charged extra. Milk, coffee, tea (and I think drinks like lemonade and ice tea) from room service are no extra charge.

So basically there are 2 places to get soda at no extra charge ..at meals and at the drink station (upper deck, deck 9 or 10 depending on the ship).

As for dinner clothes...DCL requests no shorts or swimsuits and they will turn you away if wearing a swimsuit, but plenty of people dine wearing shorts no problem.
For my family, The guys will wear Kahki pants and a polo shirt and the girls will wear a casual skirt or slacks and casual top or a casual dress. Jeans are permitted and I make sure my teens bring only nice ones without holes. I will usually wear the same dress for Palo and formal night in the main dining room. We also change out of dress clothes after dinner as the pants and skirts will be re-worn on another night with a different top.

So relax and have fun
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishteacher View Post
We are also leaving on our first cruise next week! I see that the 3 night Bahama cruise has a formal night (on the Disney site). Is this optional or expected? We are also trying to stay under the 40lb weight limit on luggage so I am trying to "pack smart" Thanks!
On Formal Night you will see a variety of dress.
Anything from shorts and t-shirts, jeans to various levels of dressy clothes.
So very much optional
I have never been on a 3 night cruise but I have heard they are more casual than the longer ones
Unless you really want the formal dress photos I would just bring regular dress clothes for this night. Separates that can be mixed and matched are the most practical (a pair of black dress slacks and can be reworn no problem). A Tide stain stick is a good thing to bring too.

Have fun
The cruise goes fast so make sure you relax and enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishteacher View Post
We are doing a 3 night as well and there is no formal night listed on my activities. Pirate night is listed for day 2 (Nassau). Where did you see it listed?

momto3gr8boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
We are doing a 3 night as well and there is no formal night listed on my activities. Pirate night is listed for day 2 (Nassau). Where did you see it listed?
Their is a "dress up" night. Not formal but not cruise casual.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Sunseeker17
Mouseketeer

To clarify the soft drink question further, the soft drinks that are free are the same flavours that are in the dispenser on the pool deck. My nephew ordered root beer at dinner (not available in the "free" dispenser) and was charged $1.75 each night he ordered it.

Sunseeker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker17 View Post
To clarify the soft drink question further, the soft drinks that are free are the same flavours that are in the dispenser on the pool deck. My nephew ordered root beer at dinner (not available in the "free" dispenser) and was charged $1.75 each night he ordered it.
Kinda pricey for rootbeer, say what?
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker17 View Post
Didn't know root beer was available Thanks that's good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Kinda pricey for rootbeer, say what?
Yeah, probably because they get it in cans rather than in bulk syrups.
If you really like your rootbeer you are probably better off bringing your own on board
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
bluesky1997
Mouseketeer

Is there a formal night on the 4night Bahamas on the Dream?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky1997 View Post
Is there a formal night on the 4night Bahamas on the Dream?
No, there is a "Dress Up Optional" night. You may dress up or just wear cruise casual.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: