Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
stephd219
Mouseketeer

My youngest DS is extremely sensitive to smells and commented on the smell the second we walked in the dining rom.
stephd219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

No - not even when served.
DH & DD are fish eaters
DW & DS are meat eaters.
We all get along at Coral Reef
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMom2Three View Post
Was it the curry noodle bowl with the faux chik'n on top? I thought my kids would like that but don't want to pay almost $20 for the dish unless it's pretty good.
Yes.

Coral Reef was a favorite, but this last trip, the service and food was enough to write it off for future visits. The food was NOT good.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

I have stayed at the Beach Club - we just don't walk through the lobby during dinner - if you are going to the Yacht Club restaurants just walk outside
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

We have stayed at the Beach Club. We just avoid the lobby at dinner time. If you want to go to the Yacht Club restaurants walk on the outside
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OP, we are veggie and I am highly sensitive to smells, and I had a VERY hard time dining at Coral. I don't even know if salmon was on the menu but that's what the whole place smelled like to me when I was there.

If the kids are veggie, be aware that it can be hard to watch the aquarium while those around you are eating the cousins of the fish they are watching.

I have read that Sunshine Seasons has the chik'n as well now, and I like their tofu noodle bowl (which you can get without the broth in the form of a stir fry as a different option). So you might have other choices apart from the Reef.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
RobynPrincess
Looking around

nope, no fishy smell i am very very sensitive to it and didnt find it smelled at all (and i would have noticed )

we have a lovely meal there, i hope you do too
RobynPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I absolutely hate seafood and I've eaten there. No smell at all!

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
OP, we are veggie and I am highly sensitive to smells, and I had a VERY hard time dining at Coral. I don't even know if salmon was on the menu but that's what the whole place smelled like to me when I was there.

If the kids are veggie, be aware that it can be hard to watch the aquarium while those around you are eating the cousins of the fish they are watching.

I have read that Sunshine Seasons has the chik'n as well now, and I like their tofu noodle bowl (which you can get without the broth in the form of a stir fry as a different option). So you might have other choices apart from the Reef.
The fish in the tanks are related to the fish that are served only in that they are all fish and live in water. However, the fish in the tanks are not what are served at Coral Reef, either exactly or in type. The tank has things like sharks, a turtle, and tropical/shallow depth sea fish. Most of the fish served are either deep sea or sustainable fish, which aren't in the tanks.

Sunshine Seasons is open-air kitchens and can be smelled through the whole Land building. The fish served there are displayed (in type/species and in the fact that the fish there will eventually be used for consumption on property) in "Living with the Land." Those who are sensitive to smells or seeing fish that were on a ride, or related to ones on a ride, will find that to be a worse option then Coral Reef. By a lot.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
binkblum
Mouseketeer

I have never noticed a fishy smell before but I did notice the last time we dined there that the cleanliness had decreased - eh. Service was okay, felt like one of the million diners at the time and we were kind of rushed. Hopefully you have a better experience!
binkblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
kiwi2013
Mouseketeer

I like the fact that most comments lean toward Coral Reef not having a "fishy" smell ....I have a shellfish allergy and yes I am aware Coral Reef is mostly seafood but I figured the atmosphere would be nice for my daughter to experience,also,they do serve one chicken dish which sounds appetizing...has anyone tried it before, its chicken breast served over spaetzle?
kiwi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Wilds View Post
The fish in the tanks are related to the fish that are served only in that they are all fish and live in water. However, the fish in the tanks are not what are served at Coral Reef, either exactly or in type. The tank has things like sharks, a turtle, and tropical/shallow depth sea fish. Most of the fish served are either deep sea or sustainable fish, which aren't in the tanks.
Didn't the Coral Reef serve grouper at one point? I remember a time, maybe five years ago or more, when a grouper swam by our table and my partner kind of joked that he was going to order its brother. Could have just been wishful thinking, though. Grouper is delicious.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Nope, no fishy smells at all.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #29
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

No fishy smell, but food is only fair at best. We no longer bother going there.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #30
bizeemom4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB
No fishy smell, but food is only fair at best. We no longer bother going there.
Agreed. It was good 5-10 years ago. Each time I visited in the last few trips, it's gotten worse each time and now it's off our list.

My fourth and fifth trips as a Disney TA coming up soon!

bizeemom4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: