Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #76
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

This is the problem with us not knowing how the system is actually going to be like until it is fully initiated. It's the uncertainty that is creating the concerns for us!

Maybe all of doconeill speculations will not turn out to be accurate, but basing it on his previous track record and the information that is out, I'm guessing more of it will be right than wrong! Who knows, Disney may not know at this point how the final FP+ will look like, which is why they have been running the trials for awhile now!

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #77
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
This is the problem with us not knowing how the system is actually going to be like until it is fully initiated. It's the uncertainty that is creating the concerns for us!

Maybe all of doconeill speculations will not turn out to be accurate, but basing it on his previous track record and the information that is out, I'm guessing more of it will be right than wrong! Who knows, Disney may not know at this point how the final FP+ will look like, which is why they have been running the trials for awhile now!

I still can't get past the idea of Disney creating a super high demand for "day of" in park fastpasses (because no matter what the pre booking numbers look like there will be far less FP available at the park the day of) and then encouraging people to rush to the parks and scramble for the leftovers. This would create an even nastier environment.

And if everyone who buys tickets logs in and automatically gets assigned a fastpick selection of three. Most of the fastpasses will be tied up in limbo.

I think Mikegood2's question on another board is interesting... What will be the rate of customers using their pre picks? We think people won't want to miss them. How will that be worked into the model, and they won't know until people participate in the full blown program.

I also think there is some value (not my preference) in not letting customers grab up all the extra fastpasses the day of (And I think there are plenty of references to support this idea)... Disney is trumpeting the idea that visitors will be able to switch out their FP+ throughout the day to ensure great flexibility. If the early birds swoop in at 9:00 am and grab all the good FP, then those people who show up at 2:00 will have nothing to exchange. That would destroy the flexibility "promise".
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 02-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #78
Keith
DIS Veteran

Can I get FP+ now for a trip at the end of March?

When does the FP+ start? This is the first I've heard of FP+. Can I get some FP+ rides reserved now? And if so, how?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #79
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
When does the FP+ start? This is the first I've heard of FP+. Can I get some FP+ rides reserved now? And if so, how?
Not yet. Many threads already discussing.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #80
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I still can't get past the idea of Disney creating a super high demand for "day of" in park fastpasses (because no matter what the pre booking numbers look like there will be far less FP available at the park the day of) and then encouraging people to rush to the parks and scramble for the leftovers. This would create an even nastier environment.

And if everyone who buys tickets logs in and automatically gets assigned a fastpick selection of three. Most of the fastpasses will be tied up in limbo.

I think Mikegood2's question on another board is interesting... What will be the rate of customers using their pre picks? We think people won't want to miss them. How will that be worked into the model, and they won't know until people participate in the full blown program.

I also think there is some value (not my preference) in not letting customers grab up all the extra fastpasses the day of (And I think there are plenty of references to support this idea)... Disney is trumpeting the idea that visitors will be able to switch out their FP+ throughout the day to insure great flexibility. If the early birds swoop in at 9:00 am and grab all the good FP, then those people who show up at 2:00 will have nothing to exchange. That would destroy the flexibility "promise".
That's one of my biggest problems with what they intend to do.

How do you promise flexibility, yet have enough for demand? If they want flexibility, they need to reserve some. But is that the same reserve so as to have day-of as well? And what happens at 11am when I decide I want that TSM FP+ after all? Or is it a separate reserve, removing even more from the advanced pool? Saying I have flexibility by offering me Great Movie Ride instead isn't good for me.

I would LOVE for additional FP+s available day-of. I'm just now sure how they are going to pull it off for the E-tickets.

What I _think_ may happen - there will be a reserve. Not all FP+ slots will be made available in advance. There will intentionally be less FP+ available in advance for the primary E-tickets, in order to push people to other things like the new experiences. Others will be available day-of, and that will be explained at pre-book time that you _might_ be able to get some more that day. There will be some day-of limitations as well.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #81
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill
What I _think_ may happen - there will be a reserve. Not all FP+ slots will be made available in advance. There will intentionally be less FP+ available in advance for the primary E-tickets, in order to push people to other things like the new experiences. Others will be available day-of, and that will be explained at pre-book time that you _might_ be able to get some more that day. There will be some day-of limitations as well.
This is in part why I don't see the traditional FP sticking around. Let me know if this makes any since.

Basically, I see the traditional FP system merging into FP+. If they keep the 3 in advance options, all the remaining tickets would remain in the FP+ system, but get treated like the current "traditional system" works. Once you are in the park you can use the app/ kiosk to select an additional FP and as the day goes on it is treated like the traditional system where you can pick one every two hours or when your next FP window opens. The advantage with this system is that you don't need to be at a FP station to grab a ticket, you can actually be on the other side of park in line and select a FP for any attraction in the park. Of course the app will show all the return window times for FP's, which can come in handy. I think this would be much better than keep FP+ and current FP separate, because all the ticket would be pooled together. Of course they could keep x amount out of that pool to use as special offers, or try to direct people around the park.

mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #82
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
This is in part why I don't see the traditional FP sticking around. Let me know if this makes any since.

Basically, I see the traditional FP system merging into FP+. If they keep the 3 in advance options, all the remaining tickets would remain in the FP+ system, but get treated like the current "traditional system" works. Once you are in the park you can use the app/ kiosk to select an additional FP and as the day goes on it is treated like the traditional system where you can pick one every two hours or when your next FP window opens. The advantage with this system is that you don't need to be at a FP station to grab a ticket, you can actually be on the other side of park in line and select a FP for any attraction in the park. Of course the app will show all the return window times for FP's, which can come in handy. I think this would be much better than keep FP+ and current FP separate.

That is one of the possible avenues...scan ticket/magicband, and get the next available slot. But the return time will get added to your "itinerary" and remember when you need to be there (or use the smartphone app). At least I'm not aware of any printing ability at the kiosks.

Possibly a bit more likely is that you'll still be able to choose a time (since you'll be at one of the new kiosks anyways where people can alter/review their itineraries) from what is available and add it to your itinerary. That way all FP+s are handled the same way, instead of having some be first slot and others chosen.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #83
razor58
Earning My Ears

I hope they keep the current FP system in place as from what I read in the FP+ rules under the T&C post is that you can select and redeem a FP+ on an attraction once per day.

I think we have all benefited under the current system, especially in the slow seasons, of getting multiple FP at the big attractions. It would be too bad if that benefit goes away.
razor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #84
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor58 View Post
I hope they keep the current FP system in place as from what I read in the FP+ rules under the T&C post is that you can select and redeem a FP+ on an attraction once per day.

I think we have all benefited under the current system, especially in the slow seasons, of getting multiple FP at the big attractions. It would be too bad if that benefit goes away.
You can only select in advance at a particular attraction once per day. No idea what they will or won't allow at the park itself that day. But part of what Disney seems to be trying to do is to give MORE people the opportunity to ride, not the same people who got up early the opportunity to ride several times. So I'm not expecting this restriction to change.

And I don't expect the current system to survive after the new system is completely rolled out.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #85
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

deconeill love the qoute in your signature!!!!

"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #86
razor58
Earning My Ears

Another thing I would be wondering about is now that you can book your FP in advance, will that alter when people schedule their Disney trips? Meaning if I was thinking about going the second week of November and found out that the FP+ weren't available for a few of my preferred rides when planning my trip, I would have to either find another date range or plan on not getting FP for that attraction. I guess it will be no different than booking your dining reservations in advance. Put in some dates / times and see what's available.
razor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #87
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor58 View Post
Another thing I would be wondering about is now that you can book your FP in advance, will that alter when people schedule their Disney trips? Meaning if I was thinking about going the second week of November and found out that the FP+ weren't available for a few of my preferred rides when planning my trip, I would have to either find another date range or plan on not getting FP for that attraction. I guess it will be no different than booking your dining reservations in advance. Put in some dates / times and see what's available.
At this point, the furthest anyone would be able to book in advance is 60 days. If you're planning that close to the travel time, you're probably not terribly flexible in your dates.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #88
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

I still wonder if you decide the night before you will not be going to any park, maybe because of rain (happened to us last summer) and you cancel your FP+'s, will you get those back to use another day? What would be the cut off time to change your park for the day? Midnight the day before, 6 a.m., any time before your first FP+ is used? I'm not sure how much there would be to pick from at that point but I thought one of the selling points of this new system was the flexible in changing your schedule.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #89
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
I still wonder if you decide the night before you will not be going to any park, maybe because of rain (happened to us last summer) and you cancel your FP+'s, will you get those back to use another day? What would be the cut off time to change your park for the day? Midnight the day before, 6 a.m., any time before your first FP+ is used? I'm not sure how much there would be to pick from at that point but I thought one of the selling points of this new system was the flexible in changing your schedule.
Since you are supposed to be able to make same day changes, the night before shouldn't be a problem. The real problem is what caliber of attractions will you be able to replace them with at the last miniute. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle and to me will either make or break it.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #90
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Since you are supposed to be able to make same day changes, the night before shouldn't be a problem. The real problem is what caliber of attractions will you be able to replace them with at the last miniute. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle and to me will either make or break it.
I agree. Still the question of when you would be able to change you park of the day for your FP+'s is something I still wonder about. If all of my FP+s are for 2:00 p.m. and after, could I cancel all of them at 1:55 and change them to another park? I have my doubts there would be much to choose at that point but I would love to know how they plan to handle something like that.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: