Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
It's been that way as far back as I can remember.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I learn so much on these boards.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #32
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio

I disagree. There are various ways that they can have the system manage FPs. One obvious one is to not allow a guest to get more than one FP for a particular ride per day, regardless of whether it was prearranged or chosen at the park.
I wish I had reread and revised that part that keeps getting re-quoted. I agree that there are various ways that they can have the system manage FPs, but based on what Disney posted for terms I don't think it will be with the ability to participate in both fastpass systems, but it would be great if they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27

I don't think that's necessarily true. We've already seen one of the ways overuse will be restricted, by the grouping of attractions into groups that guest must choose among, which forces the use of FP for some less-attractive or higher-capacity attractions. We've also seen a huge expansion of total FP capacity, both via the (rumored, but likely) change in FP to standby ratios and in the addition of many attractions to the FP network that never had it before. And there is further potential for limitation in the idea of not allowing overlapping return windows; with the longer return for FP+ (at least in testing) they probably wouldn't want to disallow it completely but could again make it group-based so that you can't have two E-ticket FPs for the same timeframe or couldn't pull same-day FPs in Epcot for the same return time as your pre-reserved FPs at Studios.

The idea of a three-per-day and that's all you get system really negates the entire intention of FastPass. Disney doesn't want guests spending the majority of their park time waiting in lines. You can't purchase merchandise or food while in line, and wait times are strongly related to guest satisfaction. Plus a system that suddenly dictates that you can no longer use FP to ride 3 headliners in a single day will alienate frequent guests who are likely to balk at paying more (annual price increases + the reduction of discounting) to have a lesser overall experience.
I'm not saying that FP+ uses would be limited to 3 a day, I believe that limit is just for the pre-park selecting. When you are in the park I would assume more will be available, but probably thru the FP+ or Disney app / kiosks. How they handle it who knows, maybe it's treated like the traditional fast pass system, or they could hold them and offer them as "specials" thru out the day. Maybe use them to control the flow of the park, or possibly, in exchange for your _______ fastpass, we will offer you 2 fast passes for _____. I'm sure Disney has ideas on how they will handle it, but probably aren't sure what works best.

I'll be curious how the system will impact the number of fast passes offered in the park each day. Also how they break them down between FP/FP+ ( 75/25, 50/50, 25/75?). The issue is we won't know for sure until they make it available to all, and even then it will be subject to change.

Like I said earlier, I would love to be able to select FP+'s for an afternoon park and open with EMH using the traditional FP, I just don't think that will be an option.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2

I wish I had reread and revised that part that keeps getting re-quoted. I agree that there are various ways that they can have the system manage FPs, but based on what Disney posted for terms I don't think it will be with the ability to participate in both fastpass systems, but it would be great if they did.
we are in agreement. I don't think that a guest will be able to use both FP and FP+. However, I believe that FP+ guests will be able to get in-park FP+s.

Quote:
I'll be curious how the system will impact the number of fast passes offered in the park each day. Also how they break them down between FP/FP+ ( 75/25, 50/50, 25/75?). The issue is we won't know for sure until they make it available to all, and even then it will be subject to change.
They could merely allocate them based on park attendance. They will know how many people are in the park using both systems, after all.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #34
mh1973
DIS Veteran

When does FP+ start?
mh1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #35
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh1973
When does FP+ start?
Unknown. No announcements regarding a timetable.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #36
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I'm hearing rumblings that they may finally be ready to test actual MagicBand use in a week or so. Whether that will include FP+ or not, I'm not sure, but I think they want to test the whole thing.

As previously rumored, I believe it will start at just one or two resorts - not sure which ones.

DTD just finished with the installation of the touch-to-pay system, which I think was the last piece of hardware rollouts necessary.

Update: WDW Magic is reporting it now: http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...parks-soon.htm
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 02-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I don't think that a guest will be able to use both FP and FP+. However, I believe that FP+ guests will be able to get in-park FP+s.

How are in park FP+'s different from FP as it stands now except for the way it is gotten?

And how will the FP return time signs keep up with the in park FP+'s that are being "pulled"?

Last edited by mom2mickeyfan; 02-09-2013 at 11:45 AM.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #38
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
Ooooohhhhhh. I didn't know that. Has it always been that way? I could have sworn the last time I was there you could only pull on FP at a time. That was, however, over a decade ago so I may not be remembering correctly.
Quote:
Actually, I think Turn the Page is remembering correctly, because I also remember at one time having to wait until the FP window opened up before being able to get a new one. Specifically, I can remember seeing that the return time for a particular FP attraction was something like 5 hours out and debating if it was worth it to get a FP and then not be able to get one for another attraction for 5 hours.
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #39
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There has been a grace period before a FP time where it was possible to get another one. This may have changed.
Example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I'm hearing rumblings that they may finally be ready to test actual MagicBand use in a week or so. Whether that will include FP+ or not, I'm not sure, but I think they want to test the whole thing.

As previously rumored, I believe it will start at just one or two resorts - not sure which ones.

DTD just finished with the installation of the touch-to-pay system, which I think was the last piece of hardware rollouts necessary.

Update: WDW Magic is reporting it now: http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...parks-soon.htm
This is a pretty busy time for Disney to roll out new program. I hope the CMs don't catch too much flack.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan

How are in park FP+'s different from FP as it stands now except for the way it is gotten?

And how will the FP return time signs keep up with the in park FP+'s that are being "pulled"?
The big difference is that you can chose them up to 60 days in advance, once it is up and running, and change them at any time as long as other FP's are available. You should also be able to grab additional FP's with the app or at kiosks when you are at the park. Disney can also use the system to keep track how many people are in certain areas and make "offers" to direct people to other areas. What you won't be able to do, at least in advance, is pick up FP+ at more than one park a day. The big advantage is the ability to control the time of your fast passes, something you really can't with the current system.

My guess is that the return time sign will only be, at least for the time being, for the traditional FP's! So they have xx amount of tickets for a time period and once you pull the next ticket it will change the time. What's not known is how many new FP's will be added, if any, to a park or will they be adding FP's to rides that currently don't offer them. Also how will they break FP/FP+ tickets up. Will they very from day to day, or will it be set 75/25, 50/50, 25/75 etc.?

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #41
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I recall hearing that when Fastpass first rolled out, they did not have the two-hour max rule - but they changed it not long after since by later mornings people couldn't get any more Fastpasses, even though plenty were available.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Actually, I think Turn the Page is remembering correctly, because I also remember at one time having to wait until the FP window opened up before being able to get a new one. Specifically, I can remember seeing that the return time for a particular FP attraction was something like 5 hours out and debating if it was worth it to get a FP and then not be able to get one for another attraction for 5 hours.
This is my memory too. I don't know when FP started but when I was planning my 2008 trip, I remember reading tips about being careful to pay attention to return times because you wouldn't be able to get another fastpass until that window but by the time I went, they had changed to the 2 hour rule.

OK, so I got curious while typing this and found this on wikipedia..

"At first, a guest could only hold a single Fastpass at a time; if a guest tried to insert a park ticket into another Fastpass machine before the time shown on their previous Fastpass, the machine would generate a ticket with a message printed on it stating that it was not yet time to obtain another Fastpass."

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #43
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
This is my memory too. I don't know when FP started but when I was planning my 2008 trip, I remember reading tips about being careful to pay attention to return times because you wouldn't be able to get another fastpass until that window but by the time I went, they had changed to the 2 hour rule.
You may have been looking at very old info...the two hour rule was in effect long before 2008.

Since the wikipedia article doesn't cite any references with regards to that info, it's not a great reference in general.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #44
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
You may have been looking at very old info...the two hour rule was in effect long before 2008.

Since the wikipedia article doesn't cite any references with regards to that info, it's not a great reference in general.
It is entirely possible the reference was an old one in 2008 and I agree, wikipedia isn't always a reliable source but my point was that the PP who said they didn't know about a 2 hour rule since their last trip was so long ago is likely remembering right. In the past, you had to wait for the window on the FP's you were holding to pass before you were allowed to get another.

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #45
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
we are in agreement. I don't think that a guest will be able to use both FP and FP+. However, I believe that FP+ guests will be able to get in-park FP+s.
That is interesting. I hadn't seen it phrased that way before, and that makes sense.

I've been operating under the thought/assumption that it was either using FP+...and only getting three FP for the day (boo). Or using regular old FP...and finding a severe lack of FP available in the parks (boo).

The idea that FP+ might allow three reservations ahead of time, but then also allow for some further FP once you are in the park is encouraging. This is the first thing that has made me actually think of FP+ as a good thing. I hope that works out to be true.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: