Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Delrea
Mouseketeer

Alaskan Cruise with 5 and & 7 year old?

I want to book an Alaskan Cruise tomorrow to celebrate our 10th anniversary next year. I'm worried my kids will be bored though. I assume they can't swim ect. which was the highlight for them on the Carribean/Fantasy we did this year. Can someone tell me their experience on the Alaskan Cruise with kids? Thanks so much!
Delrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears

We went two years ago, not a lot of kids. More teens and Pre-teens
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We choose Disney for Alaska. We knew that our kids would not be excited about scenery.

They had a great time. The hung out with their friends and in the clubs.

My daughter swam everyday and my son used the hot tub every night.The pool was heated.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
jenf22
DIS Veteran

We did Alaska last September (on Disney) with our 5-year old son. We never swam in the pools (though we did see people swimming - the pools are heated). He had a blast pretty much the whole time. He was NEVER bored on the ship. The only time he was a little bored was wandering around the ports. He loved all the excursions we picked and was pretty much smiles the whole cruise. He was only in the kids club for a sum-total of 4 hours the whole cruise. He liked it and was fine when we took him so we could do Palo and the spa, but he never asked to go back. My advice would be to book the cruise - the kids will have fun and Alaska is amazing! I'm toying with booking one for next year tomorrow too...
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

I am going to do Alaska in 14 with my then 5 yo son. I have read the pools are heated so they can swim no problem (well, until you get out of the pool of course!)

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There were blankets put out on deck around the pool, and also in bins on deck 4 with dirty bins next to them on the Alaska cruise in 2011. I thought that DCL definitely considered what would help their guests enjoy the cruise even though it was a different climate. My kids were 11 & 13 so too old for the club/lab but they had forrest rangers onboard who did activities with the kids in the club so they learned about Alaska. They may have had junior park ranger activities available also.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22
We did Alaska last September (on Disney) with our 5-year old son. We never swam in the pools (though we did see people swimming - the pools are heated). He had a blast pretty much the whole time. He was NEVER bored on the ship. The only time he was a little bored was wandering around the ports. He loved all the excursions we picked and was pretty much smiles the whole cruise. He was only in the kids club for a sum-total of 4 hours the whole cruise. He liked it and was fine when we took him so we could do Palo and the spa, but he never asked to go back. My advice would be to book the cruise - the kids will have fun and Alaska is amazing! I'm toying with booking one for next year tomorrow too...
Which excursions did you choose? I am worried I am doing too many excursions and not leaving enough time to walk around the ports!
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Kandjandj
Earning My Ears

I'm booking AK tomorrow. Our dd will be 4. She is the reason we chose DCL over Princess. I know she will be over the scenery in about 5 minutes but she will have the characters and the kids club to entertain her.
Kandjandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Which excursions did you choose? I am worried I am doing too many excursions and not leaving enough time to walk around the ports!
We did:
Best of Juneau
Yukon Rail with Dog Cart in Skagway through Chilkoot Charters
Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan

Every excursion left us plenty of time to wander the town and still make it back to the ship for main dining. Best of luck!
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

What did you think of bear country ? Have seen mixed reviews. Did your kids enjoy train? I am considering the three hour round trip but am wondering if kids will be bored.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

We took our 3 DDs on the Alaska cruise last August, they were 5, 7 and 10 at the time and they loved it. They swam as often as we would let them. If you can, bring a robe for your child for when they get out of the pool. Our girls are still talking about Alaska and the cruise, I believe it's one of those memories they'll have forever.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
What did you think of bear country ? Have seen mixed reviews. Did your kids enjoy train? I am considering the three hour round trip but am wondering if kids will be bored.
We did the round trip train excursion, the one with the special kid's activities. Our two younger girls, 5 & 7, loved this. On the way back down the mountain, they take the kids into their own train car to play games, etc. Our oldest enjoyed the history and sights on the way up and then napped on the way back down.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

We went last summer when our children were 6 and 8. They are *begging* to go again. Just yesterday they were pleading to go again this summer. "Please, Mama, please, please, please."

I think it is safe to say your children will have a blast.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK
We went last summer when our children were 6 and 8. They are *begging* to go again. Just yesterday they were pleading to go again this summer. "Please, Mama, please, please, please."

I think it is safe to say your children will have a blast.
Thank you! Did you do the train? We have a heli-dogsled plan, a whale watch and a float plane to see either misty fjords or bears planned so dome downtime on the train will probably be good! What did your kids enjoy the most???
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

No, we didn't do the train. We rented a car and drove from Skagway to Emerald Lake instead. It was great because we were able to stop the car and get out wherever we wanted. Great memories of getting out and skipping rocks on a lake in Alaska and things like that...seeing real mountain goats way up high on the hillside. We used "Murray's Guide" to understand what we were seeing. It was the best excursion of our trip and so much fun!

My kids loved the private whale watching excursion we did in Juneau (just our family and one other family). It was wonderful to be on a smaller boat rather than one of the big boats. We saw tons of whales and were lucky enough to see multiple full body breeches of a whale. Amazing.

They also loved the lumberjack show in Ketchikan. It is cheesy but fun and they loved it.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: