Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
MagicFan75
Mouseketeer

Recent Wonder reviews

We're sailing on the Wonder for the first time in April and are getting really excited. We've been on the Magic several times and the Dream once. I've got two questions:

1) I'm assuming that the Wonder is very much like the Magic, but are there any special differences (good or bad) that we should be on the lookout for?
and
2) Anyone who has sailed on the Wonder recently, especially out of Miami, can you tell us your experiences with check in, embarkation, the cruise itself, and/or disembarkation? Any recommendations or suggestions are very welcome!

MagicFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
stlouismickey
Earning My Ears

The biggest difference from the Magic is the Outlook Bar (adults only) which is enclosed on deck 9 and 10. They made the change when they started going to Alaska.

We were on the Wonder out of Miami for New Year's and everything was very similar to other ports. Just read the Navigator for your time to get off and stay away from deck 4 until your group is called.
stlouismickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFan75 View Post
We're sailing on the Wonder for the first time in April and are getting really excited. We've been on the Magic several times and the Dream once. I've got two questions:

1) I'm assuming that the Wonder is very much like the Magic, but are there any special differences (good or bad) that we should be on the lookout for?
and
2) Anyone who has sailed on the Wonder recently, especially out of Miami, can you tell us your experiences with check in, embarkation, the cruise itself, and/or disembarkation? Any recommendations or suggestions are very welcome!
The decor of the Wonder is art nouveau where the Magic is art deco. Beat Street (Magic) = Route 66 (Wonder); Lumiere's (Magic) = Triton's (Wonder); Sessions (Magic) = Cadillac Lounge (Wonder); Rockin' Bar D (Magic) = Wavebands (Wonder); Topsiders (Magic) = Beach Blanket Buffet (Wonder).

Shows on the Wonder are The Golden Mickeys; Toy Story - The Musical; and Disney's Dreams.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

My husband and I were just on the Wonder for the 1/28 sailing. Everything was smooth. We got to the port at 11 (our PAT was 11-11:30) and had added gift cards to our account and found a relaxing spot by the Cove Cafe with a welcome drink in hand by a little after noon. Our room was ready at 2 when we went down to it, and we had luggage before the lifeboat drill. Debarkation wasn't bad. Our tag was called while we were eating breakfast, so we left when we were done. We were through customs and outside within a half hour. The only pain was trying to get to the airport to get our rental car. We ended up taking a cab for $25 because there were four ships in port that day and all of the shuttles were full . We had an awesome time though and hope you do too!!!
RosiePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
MagicFan75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosiePA View Post
My husband and I were just on the Wonder for the 1/28 sailing. Everything was smooth. We got to the port at 11 (our PAT was 11-11:30) and had added gift cards to our account and found a relaxing spot by the Cove Cafe with a welcome drink in hand by a little after noon. Our room was ready at 2 when we went down to it, and we had luggage before the lifeboat drill. Debarkation wasn't bad. Our tag was called while we were eating breakfast, so we left when we were done. We were through customs and outside within a half hour. The only pain was trying to get to the airport to get our rental car. We ended up taking a cab for $25 because there were four ships in port that day and all of the shuttles were full . We had an awesome time though and hope you do too!!!
Thanks RosiePA! Your trip sounds great! We are getting really excited.

MagicFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
stichandangel
Earning My Ears

Everything in Miami was so easy and quick. So smooth so relaxed. And the wonder is so nice. Needed some work but still amazing
stichandangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

As a previous poster mentioned, the Outlook Bar above Cove Cafe is a great addition to the Wonder. Lovely place to relax and look out the floor to ceiling windows.

Other than the different themes for the adults areas and Lumiere's / Triton's, the ships are very alike. You will feel at home right away. The Magic was built in two shipyards and welded together. The Wonder was built in one shipyard. Disney had the builders put a false weld down the side of the Wonder to match the weld on the Magic. That is how much DCL wanted the two ships to match.

I would not be surprised to see the Magic gain an Outlook Bar during its drydock this year. Hey, DCL! You could put that Outlook Bar to good use in the Baltics!!!
Four Swampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
I would not be surprised to see the Magic gain an Outlook Bar during its drydock this year. Hey, DCL! You could put that Outlook Bar to good use in the Baltics!!!
I was on the 1/24 and 1/28 Wonder cruises. At the "Disney Cruise Line Trivia", one of the questions was why the Magic doesn't have an Outlook Cafe over Cove. The answer given is that it can't structurally support it (perhaps the 2 piece vs 1 piece construction made a difference?).
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

we are on the wonder before and had a great time we are going on it again in April too

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Forever a Princess
One bottle of ketchup is not enough!

We sailed out of Miami on the Wonder on January 14th.

This was our second time on the Wonder. We stayed one room over from our first time.

Embarkation was smooth and quick. On the ship in no time.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: