Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
CaptainEIEIO
Even if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOz View Post
Great info everyone - sorry for dropping in on the topic OP but I was wondering why people are saying to fly to LA from SF?

We are planning to drive from SF to LA in October and thought maybe the drive would be nice? Is there nothing to see - we have 2 girls 5 & 7? Is the Jelly Belly Factory somewhere nearby?
If it is a nice day and you don't mind taking some extra time the drive up highway 1 beside the beach until you get into the LA area. But it is a curvey back and fourth drive but the ocean is right there on your right almost the whole way. If your in a hurry or its a bad weather day then stick to the interstates.
I cant even begin to count the times I was constantly at Disneyland since my first visit in 1962, then I moved to Alaska in 1969 and lost contact until....DL 1982, DL 1985, DL 1988, DL 1990, DL 1994, DL 1997, DL 1999 , DL 2004, DL 2005, DL 2007, WDW 2009 (Pop), DL 2012, WDW 2013 (Pop).
Me DW

CaptainEIEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Hilton at Union Square is really nice. If money isn't a big issue, then I would go with the Four Seasons in SF. Beautiful. I've stayed at both, and you can' go wrong with either of these hotels. I live only an hour from SF. I would definitely fly to SF from Lax. The drive feels long and is very boring.
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Aspoonfullofsugar
Mouseketeer

And I love the drive but then I'd usually rather drive than fly.
Aspoonfullofsugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #34
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOz View Post
Great info everyone - sorry for dropping in on the topic OP but I was wondering why people are saying to fly to LA from SF?

We are planning to drive from SF to LA in October and thought maybe the drive would be nice? Is there nothing to see - we have 2 girls 5 & 7? Is the Jelly Belly Factory somewhere nearby?

I always drove when we lived in northern California (Redding), it was a long drive, but not horrible and there are some cool landmarks and stuff along the way.

To the OP: please do not refer to San Francisco as "San Fran" or "Frisco". It is either San Francisco or SF. The other two tend to grate on the nerves of native NorCal folks.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #35
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
If you have lots of time and are planning to drive down the coast and see the beautiful cities of Monterey, Santa Barbara etc then yes drive. If you are making a straight shot down Hwy 5 it is a long drive with nothing to see.
Exactly. There are a lot of amazing restaurants in San Francisco depending on what kind of food you like (there is something for everyone). Just ate in a new one last week that was delicious called Chow. Yum! I would try checking out Yelp and searching by the type of food you like. Have great time!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #36
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
I prefer just "the City"- like there is only one....
I'm in Sac too and also call SF "the City". lol

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #37
larina
DIS Veteran

I'm in Sac now, but grew up in The City and I call it that or SF.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #38
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama

To the OP: please do not refer to San Francisco as "San Fran" or "Frisco". It is either San Francisco or SF. The other two tend to grate on the nerves of native NorCal folks.
I don't say it when I'm talking, but I can be a lazy typist :rotfl Also, my mom is from the area and doesn't mind, so maybe it's more on a person-to-person basis?

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #39
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor

I don't say it when I'm talking, but I can be a lazy typist :rotfl Also, my mom is from the area and doesn't mind, so maybe it's more on a person-to-person basis?
Yes, it is. Funny, the PP said don't call it Frisco, but a lot of my friends growing up call it just that, and they are born and raised there, some for generations. Truth is, if you live/d there, you can call it anything you want, lol. Oh, and San Fran is WAY more unacceptable than Frisco.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
melissac
DIS Veteran

We are doing a similar trip and flying is the way for us. We are flying into SF then SF to LAX then flying out of LAX. For the cost on SW I couldn't possible rented and drove from SF. Total for 4 was $225(from SF to LAX). That was less then the one way car rental. Plus 6 hours in a car is more then I want to do. Not a distance car driver.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013, POR May 2014
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #41
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

For dining in SF:

Try a Mission Style Burrito (found in the Mission district)
Tartine Bakery
Bi-Rite Creamery (there's a great park with an awesome playground on the corner - Dolores Park).
Might want to try Burmese food - a combination of Chinese, Indian and Thai. Burmasuperstar is the most popular.
Dim Sum in Chinatown
Eat your way through the Ferry Market building
For a fancy dinner A.Q. is amazing
Sate Bird Provisions is probably one of my favorites right now.

Also visit the CA Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. It's wonderful!
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #42
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozvisiter View Post
I would recommend Dylan's tour of San Francisco, as well as the sites of the city it took you to Muir woods too. We thought it was a great day all round
I totally agree! We did this tour, and it was great! We only had 2 full days in SF and would never have seen that much on our own.
bamagirl@hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #43
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
Whatever the reviews say, we like Slanted Door and it was one of the less expensive meals we have eaten in the city. I forgot to say, we've also stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and if you can get a room high up, the views are awesome! They sometimes run specials to make it affordable.
My husband (back then-boyfriend) introduced me to slanted door in 1995 in the Mission Area. Wow! I always remember and always order the Shaking Beef. It's the most delicious dish that I have tasted. Since it has moved towards the water, I have only been there 6 times.

There's a lot of good places... just check Yelp.com.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: