Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #121
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,995

Many of us who are of an age to have visited the parks since in the (cough) late 70's are certainly glad that they have evolved and added new attractions over the years...otherwise we would've stopped visiting years ago; certainly not multiple times each year.

Still hoping to see the adult/villian park that's been rumored for years via different imagineer's visions. Concept is supposed to only admit few thousand of people at a time for "adult" experience. A less costly verious was either AK or the MK converted for a nightime experience on random nights (akin to special events such as MNSSHP). imo it'd pack in the 'grown-ups' in droves for a night out sans the kiddos and the oh-so-cool teen-set would clamor for inclusion.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #122
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Many of us who are of an age to have visited the parks since in the (cough) late 70's are certainly glad that they have evolved and added new attractions over the years...otherwise we would've stopped visiting years ago; certainly not multiple times each year.

Still hoping to see the adult/villian park that's been rumored for years via different imagineer's visions. Concept is supposed to only admit few thousand of people at a time for "adult" experience. A less costly verious was either AK or the MK converted for a nightime experience on random nights (akin to special events such as MNSSHP). imo it'd pack in the 'grown-ups' in droves for a night out sans the kiddos and the oh-so-cool teen-set would clamor for inclusion.
Food and Wine - Packs in the Adults in Epcot on the Weekends! To support your point.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #123
Love Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Love Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie668 View Post
However, as stated by many many posters, Disney should continue to improve things and evolve, but not by sacrificing what makes Disney a magical place for people of ALL ages.
I clicked on this thread and I have to say the reposnses really shock me. They are so overwhelmingly one way...and it's the opposite of what logic would dictate.

The responses seem to be saying that Disney should be magical for everyone...so we shouldn't add anything. Huh? If we really want it to be magical for everyone, adding things can only help in that pursuit. Nothing is lost by gaining.

I couldn't care less for signature restaurants or really any table service meals. But I would never say that because they aren't for me and my family, they shouldn't be part of Disney. We don't bother with most shows. They aren't what Disney is about, for us. I would never suggest that therefore, others are "wrong" and shows shouldn't exist. More is better.

Also, how exactly are thrill rides un-Disney? Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror seem pretty darn Disney to me. Weird.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #124
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
I clicked on this thread and I have to say the reposnses really shock me. They are so overwhelmingly one way...and it's the opposite of what logic would dictate.

The responses seem to be saying that Disney should be magical for everyone...so we shouldn't add anything. Huh? If we really want it to be magical for everyone, adding things can only help in that pursuit. Nothing is lost by gaining.

I couldn't care less for signature restaurants or really any table service meals. But I would never say that because they aren't for me and my family, they shouldn't be part of Disney. We don't bother with most shows. They aren't what Disney is about, for us. I would never suggest that therefore, others are "wrong" and shows shouldn't exist. More is better.

Also, how exactly are thrill rides un-Disney? Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror seem pretty darn Disney to me. Weird.
And yet another lucid post. The concept that Disney should be for all including those thrill seekers doesn't sound like a crazy idea.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #125
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran
 
emilyindisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,215

I realize this topic has strayed a little from the original teen/tween appeal in Disney but I wanted to briefly comment on that.

As a late teen (19) who just returned from a trip to Disney, I can say that I don't think Disney needs to focus on appealing to teens/tweens. The parks are designed to appeal to the child in us all, and I have no shame in admitting that's why I love the World so much. I still love riding the Dumbos just as much as I like EE, or ToT.

I choose to spend my money to go to Disney for an experience. It's not just rides, food and shows and I think most hardcore Disney fans can agree with that.

As for all the talk of improvements, changes, etc I think there will always be people who want to see something different and Disney realizes that. As Walt hoped, Disney will never be completed and will always be changing to offer something new to its returning guests. That being said, there will always be people who are unhappy with the changes. You just can't please everyone. The way I see it is if you don't want to see the Mine Train, or the proposed Avatarland, then don't visit those.
__________________

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)


"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #126
PetePanMan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 371

My 2 cents is that each of the parts (which are great now) would benefit from another more thrilling type of ride. DHS has lots of room for something good (can you say replace backlot tour), Epcot has some so so attractions taking up space and AK needs another main attraction. MK is pretty good just as it is in my view.
PetePanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #127
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer
 
Jacquie668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
I clicked on this thread and I have to say the reposnses really shock me. They are so overwhelmingly one way...and it's the opposite of what logic would dictate.

The responses seem to be saying that Disney should be magical for everyone...so we shouldn't add anything. Huh? If we really want it to be magical for everyone, adding things can only help in that pursuit. Nothing is lost by gaining.

I couldn't care less for signature restaurants or really any table service meals. But I would never say that because they aren't for me and my family, they shouldn't be part of Disney. We don't bother with most shows. They aren't what Disney is about, for us. I would never suggest that therefore, others are "wrong" and shows shouldn't exist. More is better.

Also, how exactly are thrill rides un-Disney? Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror seem pretty darn Disney to me. Weird.
Again, for people who are refusing to read entire posts or even quote posts properly. Quotes from a few posters who are saying YES to more rides YES to thrill rides:

Quote:
I don't *think* that anyone has said no new rides....

To clarify my opinion, I feel that Disney is fine the way it is. But, Disney is constantly evolving and adding, and I think that's great. But, the OP was kind of insinuating that there was nothing to appeal to teens/Tweens and I just think that your teens/Tweens would have to be into the Disney thing...just as a child would ( not all kids like Disney ), and just as an adult would.
Quote:
Agree as well. I don't feel the majority of people are saying "NO NEW ADDITIONS" or "NO NEW RIDES!" I feel they are saying we want Disney to be Disney and not the average amusement park. Even Universal has stepped things up to keep things above just a place full of rides. Just with Disney, it is a complete experience and I always and will always love it.
Quote:
Just because the number of posters are *more* for Disney remaining *Disney like it is* doesn't mean everyone doesn't have their own opinions. That should tell you what the majority of people think about what Disney really means, and is not just *another* park with lots of thrill rides. There is much more to Disney than that, and I think that's what we're trying to convey by *our* opinions. We're not all lemmings, but individuals, with personal *opinions*
Quote:
honestly, i feel like WDW has done a good job of implementing both thrill rides and family rides lately. there was a spurt of thrill rides, but their recent offerings were more family oriented. i honestly think they are striving for a good balance.
Quote:
I grew up my whole life going to Disney. We also went to Universal and Busch Gardens etc, but I always loooved Disney. I loved thrill rides too, but WDW had a special feeling to me. I do see how not all teens will love it. Although I know many that do. I agree Disney does not want to create thrill parks, however they have added some big eticket rides that are thrill rides and that draws people in so i suspect they will continue to do this in the future.
How does that = NO NEW RIDES, NO NEW THRILL RIDES, NO NEW NOTHING? Those are just a handful of quotes as well and there are many more throughout the thread. Sounds to me that the majority of people are wanting Disney to continue to evolve, but again not turn into a Six Flags or etc.

Maybe there is one or two individuals who have expressed that there should be no new additions, but those individuals, as logic dictates, have a right to their opinion. It does help though to actually read the postings by people though. Just my two cents!

Quote:
As for all the talk of improvements, changes, etc I think there will always be people who want to see something different and Disney realizes that. As Walt hoped, Disney will never be completed and will always be changing to offer something new to its returning guests. That being said, there will always be people who are unhappy with the changes. You just can't please everyone. The way I see it is if you don't want to see the Mine Train, or the proposed Avatarland, then don't visit those.
I agree, this is true, you can't please everyone. I like that Disney continues to evolve and I do think they are striking a great balance between thrills, chills, and family fun. :D Of course there are people who will disagree with that, but that is just my take on things.
__________________
(Me) (BF) (Cat)
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #128
DaniMoon
Mouseketeer
 
DaniMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 89

I am in the process of planning a trip in October. I have three kids, DS19, DD6 and DS5. My 19yo is not coming along for several reasons, which I was feeling guilty about. However, in talking with him earlier this week, he said he didn't even want to come along. He said if we were going to Universal he would be disappointed, but not so much for Disney. Of course, I hope my house is still standing when I return!
DaniMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #129
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer
 
Jacquie668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMoon View Post
I am in the process of planning a trip in October. I have three kids, DS19, DD6 and DS5. My 19yo is not coming along for several reasons, which I was feeling guilty about. However, in talking with him earlier this week, he said he didn't even want to come along. He said if we were going to Universal he would be disappointed, but not so much for Disney. Of course, I hope my house is still standing when I return!
Haha house partay. :D I hope the house is still standing for you too!
__________________
(Me) (BF) (Cat)
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #130
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse

Absolutely, you are allowed to offer *your* opinion, just like everyone else is allowed to offer *their* opinions. Aren't you saying *why* it should be the way *you* want it just like others are stating why they think it should be the way *they* want it??

Just because the number of posters are *more* for Disney remaining *Disney like it is* doesn't mean everyone doesn't have their own opinions. That should tell you what the majority of people think about what Disney really means, and is not just *another* park with lots of thrill rides. There is much more to Disney than that, and I think that's what we're trying to convey by *our* opinions. We're not all lemmings, but individuals, with personal *opinions*.
I think you just made my point for me.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #131
sammons70
Mouseketeer
 
sammons70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 226

Outgrowing Disney? Just a phase. Memories and nostalgia will prevail after the teenage years.
__________________
Sammons70
:goofy :
sammons70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #132
DaniMoon
Mouseketeer
 
DaniMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammons70 View Post
Outgrowing Disney? Just a phase. Memories and nostalgia will prevail after the teenage years.
Absolutely!
DaniMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #133
DaniMoon
Mouseketeer
 
DaniMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie668 View Post
Haha house partay. :D I hope the house is still standing for you too!
Hahaha, I know. He even said last night that he was going to make a Facebook Event for it now.

Poor kid can't get away with too much tho, Grandma and Grandpa live right down the road.
DaniMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #134
Laketravis
FP+ is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way - which one's Pink?
 
Laketravis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,459

Returning to WDW in 2010 after an almost 40 year hiatus, I was simultaneously glad and disappointed that the Magic Kingdom was still physically very close to what I remembered from my first visits. Glad for the nostalgic value, disappointed that things I remembered as shiny and new were now much older. But that's a statement to the passing of time itself, not so much WDW. MK is the sacred cow that most adults return to for the memories, not so much new experiences.

But it was also the first time I'd seen Epcot, HS, or AK. Apart from Soarin and TT, I felt like the rest of Epcot was stuck in the 80's (Captain EO) and 90's (Ellen's whatever). I didn't get the same feeling I got from MK decades ealier that would make me want to return.

Same for HS and AK. HS isn't even a full day for us and brings back memories of and mental comparisons to Universal Studios Hollywood from the 90's. AK reminds us of the San Antonio Zoo but with rides. They were both fun, but I just didn't get that song-stuck-in-your-head feeling that I get with MK.

In fact, now that I think about it, when I think of WDW the first mental image is of MK. The other parks are only of secondary consideration.

I think that is how my seven year old sees it as well. MK is the only park he refers to as "Magic Kingdom" in an aggregate sense. The others? They are "Toy Story" or "Test Track" or "Dinosaur Ride" - not HS or Epcot or AK.

Is it important that WDW attract tweens and teens? Of course. They are the future parents who will be returning with their kids years and decades from now.

I don't know if thrill rides will do it, to be honest they all have a relatively short shelf life in terms of entertainment value. I think Disney needs to think in a much broader sense, and do "things" that increase the long term nostalgic value of the other parks to bring them up to the same caliber as MK.

Because MK is the big daddy in terms of long term memory equity.
Laketravis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #135
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
Returning to WDW in 2010 after an almost 40 year hiatus, I was simultaneously glad and disappointed that the Magic Kingdom was still physically very close to what I remembered from my first visits. Glad for the nostalgic value, disappointed that things I remembered as shiny and new were now much older. But that's a statement to the passing of time itself, not so much WDW. MK is the sacred cow that most adults return to for the memories, not so much new experiences.

But it was also the first time I'd seen Epcot, HS, or AK. Apart from Soarin and TT, I felt like the rest of Epcot was stuck in the 80's (Captain EO) and 90's (Ellen's whatever). I didn't get the same feeling I got from MK decades ealier that would make me want to return.

Same for HS and AK. HS isn't even a full day for us and brings back memories of and mental comparisons to Universal Studios Hollywood from the 90's. AK reminds us of the San Antonio Zoo but with rides. They were both fun, but I just didn't get that song-stuck-in-your-head feeling that I get with MK.

In fact, now that I think about it, when I think of WDW the first mental image is of MK. The other parks are only of secondary consideration.

I think that is how my seven year old sees it as well. MK is the only park he refers to as "Magic Kingdom" in an aggregate sense. The others? They are "Toy Story" or "Test Track" or "Dinosaur Ride" - not HS or Epcot or AK.

Is it important that WDW attract tweens and teens? Of course. They are the future parents who will be returning with their kids years and decades from now.

I don't know if thrill rides will do it, to be honest they all have a relatively short shelf life in terms of entertainment value. I think Disney needs to think in a much broader sense, and do "things" that increase the long term nostalgic value of the other parks to bring them up to the same caliber as MK.

Because MK is the big daddy in terms of long term memory equity.
Good points. My teen age son suggested that Disney needs to add things that speak to his generation. He thinks there should be something that celebrates the Disney channel of his childhood including all those fun Disney channel movies of the early 2000's. He also thinks the new magicband interaction that Disney is planning misses the essence of today's teens. He says Disney needs to be more interactive, but the interaction has to go both ways. The customer catch just be talked to by scuttle, but the visitor needs to be able to talk to scuttle. He said laugh floor provides a great model, the audience can have a significant impact on the show. He is looking forward to the Queue at Test track more than the improved ride.

But, he also thinks Disney Hollywood studios should be beating universal at their game, and Disney is woefully losing that battle. He also agrees with PP about enjoying the freedom in the parks. That will always be a plus.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: