Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #136
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

So, generally speaking, it seems like teen/tween girls don't mind the parks staying the way they are or continuing with the same type of rides. Teen/tween boys would like some change.

I know my daughter always loved everything Disney where as my son was much happier at Universal.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #137
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammons70 View Post
Outgrowing Disney? Just a phase. Memories and nostalgia will prevail after the teenage years.
To be honest, I've noticed a lot kids my son's age (16) talking about wanting to go back to Disney to ride Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc... I think that at one point in the teenage years, most kids realize they're growing up (and they'll be adults sooner than they thought), so there is this nostalgia that takes over.

Being from Florida, most everyone took their little kids to WDW when my son and daughter were young (most everyone still does take their little kids) frequently because it was only two hours away, so for most FL kids, Disney's a big part of their "early years". That said, most teens would still want WDW to add more thrill rides. I find myself in the "if WDW wants to compete with UOR, they better get building more thrill rides" boat. Generally, a new thrill ride will get more attention than a new dark ride (just look at FLE vs. Cars Land!).
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #138
DorianDonP
Mouseketeer

I guess I just don't see how a Forbidden Journey or Spiderman-like attraction (both non-roller coasters) would take away from Disney's magic, or even the family feel of the park.

Star Wars Land in HS with some thrilling attractions (again, doesn't have to be roller coasters) would be awesome for families, while also having a cool factor for teens and adults.
DorianDonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #139
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP View Post
I guess I just don't see how a Forbidden Journey or Spiderman-like attraction (both non-roller coasters) would take away from Disney's magic, or even the family feel of the park.

Star Wars Land in HS with some thrilling attractions (again, doesn't have to be roller coasters) would be awesome for families, while also having a cool factor for teens and adults.
I am a big proponent of the Star Wars Land idea!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #140
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

There's certainly nothing wrong with planning or building headliners. Where does anyone get that people are saying 'don't add anything'?

A ride does not have to be a thrill ride to be a headliner. Look at Soarin'. Look at some of the most enduring rides in MK.....Thunder Mountain is hardly a thrill coaster and it's one of the most loved.

Disney knows what they're doing. They know if they completely change the timber of new attractions, they will change who comes to the parks. They don't want to alienate families. And they know they can continue to attract teens and young adults with creative and brilliant rides. And yes, they will continue to develop rides with 'thrill' components, like Mission to Mars, while also maintaining the imagination and other kinds of attractions that define who Disney is.

Disney is not Universal Studios. I don't get cranky at the car deaerlship because I can't buy a motorcycle there. They are different things.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #141
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
There's certainly nothing wrong with planning or building headliners. Where does anyone get that people are saying 'don't add anything'?

A ride does not have to be a thrill ride to be a headliner. Look at Soarin'. Look at some of the most enduring rides in MK.....Thunder Mountain is hardly a thrill coaster and it's one of the most loved.

Disney knows what they're doing. They know if they completely change the timber of new attractions, they will change who comes to the parks. They don't want to alienate families. And they know they can continue to attract teens and young adults with creative and brilliant rides. And yes, they will continue to develop rides with 'thrill' components, like Mission to Mars, while also maintaining the imagination and other kinds of attractions that define who Disney is.

Disney is not Universal Studios. I don't get cranky at the car deaerlship because I can't buy a motorcycle there. They are different things.
Agree!

As for "Where does anyone get that people are saying 'don't add anything'?" I think people either don't take the time to read or they are just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing. Maybe a little of both...

Last edited by Jacquie668; 02-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #142
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Definitely agree!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #143
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thunder Mountain is hardly a thrill coaster and it's one of the most loved.
Thunder Mountain is absolutely a thrill ride. There are seven attractions at WDW theme parks that I would consider thrill rides - rides that include speed and/or drops - and every single one is just dripping with Disney Magic.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #144
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
Thunder Mountain is absolutely a thrill ride. There are seven attractions at WDW theme parks that I would consider thrill rides - rides that include speed and/or drops - and every single one is just dripping with Disney Magic.
Or crumbling.....it depends on how you look at it.
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #145
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
It's certainly not a thrill coaster; not compared to what the OP is referring to, the terrifying stuff you can find at US or Six Flags. BTMR is preschooler and grandma friendly.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #146
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj2610 View Post
They only really like splash mountain and big thunder mountain railroad at Magic Kingdom, TOT and Rockin Rollercoaster at the Studios. They are finally telling me they don't really care to go to disney anymore which is heartbreaking for me as I love the place.
The OP used Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain and BTMRR as the exemplars here. No mention of big scary rides. I think a lot of "thrill" seekers really want New Technology. The opposite of the new Little Mermaid ride. Cutting edge stuff. That is what Disney was known for.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #147
DorianDonP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It's certainly not a thrill coaster; not compared to what the OP is referring to, the terrifying stuff you can find at US or Six Flags. BTMR is preschooler and grandma friendly.
Where did the OP make mention of terrifying stuff?
DorianDonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #148
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
I clicked on this thread and I have to say the reposnses really shock me. They are so overwhelmingly one way...and it's the opposite of what logic would dictate.

The responses seem to be saying that Disney should be magical for everyone...so we shouldn't add anything. Huh? If we really want it to be magical for everyone, adding things can only help in that pursuit. Nothing is lost by gaining.

I couldn't care less for signature restaurants or really any table service meals. But I would never say that because they aren't for me and my family, they shouldn't be part of Disney. We don't bother with most shows. They aren't what Disney is about, for us. I would never suggest that therefore, others are "wrong" and shows shouldn't exist. More is better.

Also, how exactly are thrill rides un-Disney? Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror seem pretty darn Disney to me. Weird.
Voice of reason. No one is wrong, we just have different tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
I realize this topic has strayed a little from the original teen/tween appeal in Disney but I wanted to briefly comment on that.

As a late teen (19) who just returned from a trip to Disney, I can say that I don't think Disney needs to focus on appealing to teens/tweens. The parks are designed to appeal to the child in us all, and I have no shame in admitting that's why I love the World so much. I still love riding the Dumbos just as much as I like EE, or ToT.

I choose to spend my money to go to Disney for an experience. It's not just rides, food and shows and I think most hardcore Disney fans can agree with that.

As for all the talk of improvements, changes, etc I think there will always be people who want to see something different and Disney realizes that. As Walt hoped, Disney will never be completed and will always be changing to offer something new to its returning guests. That being said, there will always be people who are unhappy with the changes. You just can't please everyone. The way I see it is if you don't want to see the Mine Train, or the proposed Avatarland, then don't visit those.
Another voice of reason. People can simply skip what they don't like. Most of us probably do that now already.

Quote:

I love your last comment and hope that you don't mind if I borrow it. I love both WDW and Universal and I think that your comments sum up my feelings quite nicely.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #149
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

I am guessing that they hired their own vet staff and they probably have all major equipment they need, with as little outsourcing as possible.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #150
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis

My info didn't come from a wiki page, Jacquie668's did.

I checked their SEC filings.

At least some of us do our research. Attributing the increase in visitors solely to the economy is not based in fact. Stating there are still "big problems" is contradictory to their just announcing a ten-fold increase in stock dividends. If those are problems, I'd like more of them.

JUST SAYIN'.
Do you see their revolving door management to be a good thing, also?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: