DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

If someone can let us know about the grills, are they working again? We have a trip March 1. Assuming the construction will still be going on. But it would be nice to use the grills.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
MinnesotaChill
Mouseketeer

I gave more details in the post just above yours, but no, as of right now they are not.
MinnesotaChill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

How long is construction going on? I know there will still be some during our stay (arriving April 12), but I am just curious how long it is expected to last. I've never been to Aulani, so I am unfamiliar to the tower names, forgive me, but we have booked a garden view. How likely is a garden view room going to be near construction? If, by chance, we are offered an upgrade, would that possibly move us closer or further from the construction?

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 6/14
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
NorCalDVC
Earning My Ears

We're they offering any points back on the rooms like they were earlier?
NorCalDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #20
Lisacope
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaChill View Post
While there is definitely construction, it hasn't affected us at all. The waterfalls, ocean noise and kids definitely cover it up for us. We're on the 12th floor facing the pool/ocean and can't hear the construction at all. We've been here a week.

Occasionally, we'll hear a beeping from the construction zone, but that's it. I definitely have thought the cabanas wouldn't be worth it right now, but it isn't busy, so we've had no problems finding the chairs/umbrellas we need on the beach.

We're in Ewa, the other tower is definitely closed. We asked and it's due to trying to keep guests consolidated and away from the construction.

The bridge area (kids play area) is still closed, it was supposed to open yesterday, but hasn't been yet. Both water slides are open.

I really, really wouldn't stress about the construction. If you've not been here before, it's hardly noticeable. It hasn't bothered us a bit. We thought the grills being closed would be a problem,but once we saw how far they are from the villas, we realized they wouldn't have been so convenient anyway.

We ate at AmaAma last night and it was after dark, so the fact there is construction at the edge of the restaurant wasn't noticeable either, it was just dark there. We liked the food there by the way.

It is beautiful here, the weather is fantastic and there is a lot to do (and we don't even have our kids with us). If you stress about the construction you'll probably notice it, but I promise that as of right now it's not a problem.

Headed out to the beach for the rest of the day but I'll try to check back in later tonight if you have questions. Can't get the DISboards app to work on my iPad, so that slows things down....
Thanks for the reassurance - we'll be checking in on the 15th of Feb - I have been worrying about the construction but you are putting my mind at ease.
Lisacope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
MyLove4Disney
Disney Kid forever

thanks for the update

Thanks you MinnesotaChill for the update. I was there this time last year, so I was just wondering, I did see some photos of all the walls. I'm sure we will still have a wonderful time. will be better than working.

Thanks again.

MyLove4Disney Mom and Daughter forever cruise'n Currently Mom of a Disneyland Resort Cast Member, if you've been there and visited with a princess or one of the charaters you have probably met her...

Disneyland -- to many times to count, 1st time at age 12 for only 3 hours when they had E tickets. 2nd time when I was 24 it was their 30th aniversary, Now I visit regularly ** Disney World -- May 91, Jun 92, Jun 93 Off site; Jun 94 CB; Feb 95 DixL; Jun 95 Off site; Feb 96 DixL; Jun 96 Off Site; Feb 98 DixL; Jun 98 CS; Feb 99 POF; Feb 00 DixL; Jun 00 CS; Feb 01 AS Music; Feb 02 DixL; Jun 02 CS; Jun 04 CS; Feb 05 POR; Jan 06 POR; May 06 SSR; Feb 07 & 08 OKW;Jun 08 SSR and CS; SSR 09; OKW 10; CSR 11, 12 and 13; Aulani 12 and 13** Disney Cruise Line -- 7 ngt Feb 05, Jan 06, Feb 07, Feb 08, Feb 09, Mar 11, May 14 Finally became DVC members Jan 06
MyLove4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
MinnesotaChill
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDVC
We're they offering any points back on the rooms like they were earlier?
We haven't been offered points back and would never consider asking. The construction has not affected us at all. I don't know that garden views would be affected, it seems the construction is mostly at the ends of the buildings near the beach. When we were in the spa area we heard nothing. Our beach experience has not been impacted in the least. :-)
MinnesotaChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

Thanks for the reassurance. We also are leaving on the 15th and have been just a little apprehensive.....
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

We were there a few weeks ago - I found the pin for "inconvenience" to be a bit on the insulting side. I know the pins cost very little to make (literally a handful of change at most). We felt that for the amount of construction going on in an area where you generally go to relax was a bit much. Even a voucher for a free breakfast at Makahiki would have been more well received.

Now before someone jumps on me about "just be happy you could go" understand that I have NEVER complained to Disney before (with the exception I let them know about some broken tiles in the VWL laundry facility but that wasn't a complaint more of a "hey, you may want to investigate this").

I sent Disney a fairly long email listing out our issues as well as what we thought they did very well. Did we expect anything from it outside of an acknowledgement that we received your email and are looking at making adjustments, etc? No - but I did receive a call last week from DVC and discussed with them in details some of the items (both good and bad). They were very receptive of both the email we sent as well as our follow up discussion.

We've been to Disney several times during "low season" and while yes, things are under maintenance and construction, the perception of it being "everywhere" is lessened because you have various other parks and resorts to enjoy. At Aulani, where Disney is trying to make it more of a destination resort and they would prefer you do most activities, eating, drinking and relaxing with them, they really did not adequately plan. I think they should have focused on one area of construction/maintenance at a time and once completed started on another area.

As much as Aulani is beautiful and we did enjoy the other areas of the resort we will NOT be back until all the construction is completed.
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
ONealFamily
Mouseketeer

We've been here since Friday and have had a blast. We have not heard any construction and the walls were not intrusive. We are here for 10 days and look forward to the rest. We did not expect anything for the construction but, on our first night here, they stopped by and dropped off a small art print for the troubles. My kids have enjoyed themselves. It has been literally one of our best vacations ever so far. Don't worry!

Have a great day!
ONealFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONealFamily View Post
We've been here since Friday and have had a blast. We have not heard any construction and the walls were not intrusive. We are here for 10 days and look forward to the rest. We did not expect anything for the construction but, on our first night here, they stopped by and dropped off a small art print for the troubles. My kids have enjoyed themselves. It has been literally one of our best vacations ever so far. Don't worry!
Woo Hoo....we will be there in alittle over a month. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!! What have been the highlights so far? What age are your kids? Mine are 8 & 3.

Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
Cruise04
Oh that is so incredibly cool!
Grape jelly and chili sauce YUM

I'm here now as well and in the Ewa Tower. I can hear the construction but, frankly, I haven't paid much attention. The grills are not working, per the daily news event thing that is going on. I'm sitting in my room right now with the patio open and I can hear some hammering over on the 'south' end by the fire pit (noticed that today when I sitting over there) and have heard some truck beeping but not what I would consider annoying, not to me anyway. I also don't think it's very unsightly. There is one area of the walkway between the resort and the 'beach' area that you have to walk on the grass to get around the panels that are up but that's no big deal.

Because my body is having a tough time adjusting to the change in time, I had decided to hang around the resort today. So I've been in my room off and on quite a bit today, at various times. I will say the one thing that bothered me more than the construction was the fact that there was some music or a singer at 7:15 this morning outside the Olelo Room, or near that area. I was already up (my body was up at 2:45 thinking it was 6:45) so it was no big deal but if I would have been woken by that, I would NOT have been happy. And I slept with the living room patio door open so I would have heard it.
Cruise04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise04 View Post
I will say the one thing that bothered me more than the construction was the fact that there was some music or a singer at 7:15 this morning outside the Olelo Room, or near that area. I was already up (my body was up at 2:45 thinking it was 6:45) so it was no big deal but if I would have been woken by that, I would NOT have been happy. And I slept with the living room patio door open so I would have heard it.
I wonder if what you heard was the morning chant? When we were at Aulani in September, the resort started each morning with a Hawaiian chant. It always seemed to begin at 7:02 AM. We were usually already sitting on our balcony when the chant started, and we thought it was a good way to start the day.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #29
Cruise04

wdrl - did it include music? There was music involved. I didn't realize about the chant but that early in the morning it was loud. At night I have heard a blow horn (sorry, I don't know the real name of it) from somewhere like around 5pm. I'm not sure where it's from. I need to ask the desk. I'd love to get a pic of it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
Cruise04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONealFamily View Post
That was waiting for me in my room when I got here last night. It's a great print. And DVC members got a pin - well I did. I'd much rather have those items than points back because it probably wouldn't be enough points for me to do anything with, frankly. And it's a great souvenier.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: