Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
WiFi pricing on cruises of seven or more days is as follows:

Pay as you go - $0.75 per minute
100 min for $55.00 ($.55 per minute)
250 min for $100 ($.40 per minute)
500 min for $150 ($.30 per minute)
These rates are for using WiFi on your own device (ipad or iphone/smartphone), correct? What about the internet cafes/computers on board the ship? Is the pricing for those the same? Are all WiFi packages pre-paid?
n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Price is the same either way. You can do it by the minute if you like, more expensive that way.

DynamicDisneyDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Thank you!
n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Can I ask...if not by cell phone, how do most people communicate while at sea w/family?
Munkamamacallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkamamacallie
Can I ask...if not by cell phone, how do most people communicate while at sea w/family?
Do you mean with family back home or family with you? Back home, most people don't at all. Maybe an email or two, or check in with free wifi in a port. As for family traveling with you, dry erase boards on doors work well and you can leave cabin to cabin messages on the phone.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkamamacallie
You're in the middle of the ocean, you don't and relax! It's been mentioned that you couldn't do anything about an emergency anyway so what's the point in ruining a vacation.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDave View Post
You're in the middle of the ocean, you don't and relax! It's been mentioned that you couldn't do anything about an emergency anyway so what's the point in ruining a vacation.

Lets me chime in here ..... 1) if my daughter (teen age) was in a serious accident I would want to know and I would be finding a way to get back home ASAP. 2) if my home was damaged by fire or such I would want to know and would be in touch with family ASAP to secure my salvageable belongings. So if an emergency back home occurred I would want to know and yes I could still do things while at sea to solve the issues.

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #23
DisneyDee27
Disney fanatic since '75

We used our phones in PR & St. Thomas. No roaming or international fees. I didn't look for wifi in either stop.
We just used our data plans for FB picture posting.

DL 1975, WDW 1998, Tokyo DL/DS 2006, 2007 & 2013, Paris DL 2009, DCL Dream B2B 2011, 2013 & 2014, DCL Fantasy 2012 & 2014, HKDL 2013, DCL Magic 2014
DisneyDee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
mamamac
Mouseketeer

Ok I am not the tech person at home...so major dumb question...

What about 4G service??
My iPad works when I don't have wireless over that.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkamamacallie View Post
You don't! It's not as bad as it seems once you get over the initial panic! I'm a social media junkie so it's hard for me to unplug, but I did it. I did get internet so I could email my husband once or twice a day just to find out how he was doing, but that was it. wifi was painfully slow! One of the cast members on board shared his tip of how to save wireless minutes. Sign on, read your email and then copy it to a word doc and then sign off. Then compose your reply email in a word doc and then sign back on to cut and paste it into an email and then send. Saved me a ton of minutes!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan

Lets me chime in here ..... 1) if my daughter (teen age) was in a serious accident I would want to know and I would be finding a way to get back home ASAP. 2) if my home was damaged by fire or such I would want to know and would be in touch with family ASAP to secure my salvageable belongings. So if an emergency back home occurred I would want to know and yes I could still do things while at sea to solve the issues.
Fortunately, there is ship to shore communication available for situations like this. Just make sure you give your emergency contact the DCL number to call.

I would also add that the Wave phones work well enough on ship when you're trying to stay in contact with friends/family on board with you.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Fortunately, there is ship to shore communication available for situations like this. Just make sure you give your emergency contact the DCL number to call.

I would also add that the Wave phones work well enough on ship when you're trying to stay in contact with friends/family on board with you.
That's what I counted on. My family all knew where I was so if there were an actual emergency where someone absolutely HAD to talk to me, they could call the cruise line. No way would I pay roaming fees "just in case"
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
That's what I counted on. My family all knew where I was so if there were an actual emergency where someone absolutely HAD to talk to me, they could call the cruise line. No way would I pay roaming fees "just in case"
My mom is a frequent cruiser. Her rule has always been she doesn't care if the house burns down or who dies, nothing she can do about it at sea and don't ruin her vacation, so don't call. That has been our rule when we cruise too.
Mom did take a 21 day cruise that had her away for both mother's day and her birthday. We just gave her cards to pack and open on the ship on those days.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
These rates are for using WiFi on your own device (ipad or iphone/smartphone), correct? What about the internet cafes/computers on board the ship? Is the pricing for those the same? Are all WiFi packages pre-paid?
The cost per minute is the same whether using WiFi and your own device or the computer terminals in the Internet lounges. I'm not sure if the new ships even have the lounges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDee27 View Post
We used our phones in PR & St. Thomas. No roaming or international fees. I didn't look for wifi in either stop.
We just used our data plans for FB picture posting.
AT&T and maybe some other cell providers count PR and the USVI as home territory on many plans. Be careful, however, because some providers do not and international roaming is expensive. I have a Verizon phone, for example, and PR is a home territory but the USVI is international roaming territory. Most other ports in Mexico, Bahamas and the Caribbean will require international service through all US cell providers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamac View Post
Ok I am not the tech person at home...so major dumb question...

What about 4G service??
My iPad works when I don't have wireless over that.
If you want to have any Internet access your iPad is going to have to connect to some kind of cell service or WiFi. On the ship charges will apply either way. If you happen to get hooked up to the Cellular at Sea service it can be very expensive.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Last edited by Jestocost; 02-08-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
rbadger
Earning My Ears

Just FYI...there are detachable cards in the back of the cruise booklet they send you that has the DCL phone number, and your cabin number in case of emergencies. I would just give one of these to anyone at home so they can reach you in case of emergency. The # is: 1-888-DC-AT-SEA
rbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: