Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

First time! torn! HELP!!!

my "dilemma" is as follows and i'd very much appreciate the infinite wisdom of the dis'ers

i've booked & put a deposit down for POFQ for May 2- May 6. it has come to my attention that with the spring room rate, unlike all of the other moderates right now, it is only discounted by 5%!!!

it is definitely my favourite resort of the mod/values (which is what is in my budget) but the fact that it isn't discounted like the others makes me feel like i'm not getting the full value of the discount. i guess i'm being petty/cheap/whatever you want to call it, but frugality is in my blood. i can't buy anything without a coupon or pricematch

should i switch resorts to save money (cbr OR asmo...technically we won't even be spending much time in the resort anyways, right??) or should i just stop being so cheap and stay with POFQ?!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
sue_gowin
Mouseketeer

I'm pretty sure POR is part of the discount...that way you can go over and visit POFQ anytime you want while getting the discounted accommodation!

sue_gowin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue_gowin View Post
I'm pretty sure POR is part of the discount...that way you can go over and visit POFQ anytime you want while getting the discounted accommodation!
omg! i can't believe i didn't even think of that option!! thank you so much! going to go check on the price difference.....
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
alc571
DIS Veteran

I'd opt for POR too. We had the same thing happen to us last year. We booked at POFQ, but with two PIN deals for POR we couldn't pass it up. I'm actually glad we stayed at POR instead of POFQ. It seemed way more updated and clean to us.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

thank you both so much for your replies!! here's another one for you that i'm also not sure about...

i was originally thinking of 4 day park hoppers but 5 day base tickets are about $150 cheaper for an extra day if i go that route!! are the park hoppers really worth it?!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Disnewby View Post
thank you both so much for your replies!! here's another one for you that i'm also not sure about...

i was originally thinking of 4 day park hoppers but 5 day base tickets are about $150 cheaper for an extra day if i go that route!! are the park hoppers really worth it?!
For us park hoppers are a must. We go to a park at rope drop or morning extra magic hours, tour until afternoon. Take a break/nap/swim, and then to a different park for the evening.

Parks with the morning extra magic hours will be more crowded than non-EMH parks. We love to tour in the AM with EMH, so staying or coming back to the same EMH park does not work for us, too crowded!.

AK also closes early, so we go to AK in the AM and then to a different park at night.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

As far as park hoppers go - if this is your first visit you may just get the base ticket without hoppers. I only say this because I took my mom on her first trip to WDW - we got the hoppers and stayed at POR - lovely resort by the way. Anyway - I think we used the hoppers once. There is SO MUCH to see and do at WDW - especially for a first trip - we just wanted to spend the day at one park - and if we went back in the evening - went to the same park. Now that I have spent a lot of time at WDW I would definitely get hoppers - but on a first trip I thought just the base ticket was enough. We really didn't know what there was to "hop to" if that makes any sense. One park a day was plenty to chew on.

Have a great trip!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatDisneyLover View Post
As far as park hoppers go - if this is your first visit you may just get the base ticket without hoppers. I only say this because I took my mom on her first trip to WDW - we got the hoppers and stayed at POR - lovely resort by the way. Anyway - I think we used the hoppers once. There is SO MUCH to see and do at WDW - especially for a first trip - we just wanted to spend the day at one park - and if we went back in the evening - went to the same park. Now that I have spent a lot of time at WDW I would definitely get hoppers - but on a first trip I thought just the base ticket was enough. We really didn't know what there was to "hop to" if that makes any sense. One park a day was plenty to chew on.

Have a great trip!
thanks so much

that is pretty much where i'm at...i'm not sure where/what we'd be hopping TO it is our first trip as a family and my dh's first trip. i've been previously once about 15 years ago but obviously a lot has changed!

we have an early flight into Orlando that would see us at our resort before lunch time and a late flight out that means we wouldn't have to leave until 4pm or so on the day we depart, so i'm starting to wonder if having that extra day of disney and saving $150 (but not hopping) might be a good idea??

OY!!! such a frivolous, silly "problem" to have, right?!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

you can add hopper once you are there if you decide you want it and you can also add days...so I would just get 4 day base right now and go from there.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

We'vestayed at POR several times & it is a beautiful resort. I love the mansion area, the bayou rooms I don't like the decor of. The boat to DTD there is so nice!

We have switched to staying at CSR & totally love it. Love the rooms, the resort & everything about it.

As for hoppers. We usually never hop. We bought them on our first 2 trips...was just a tiny bit more those days. We hopped once to more less say we used them. We'd end up a park & stay all day long & had no reason to hop.

This trip, about our 9th trip I think we got hoppers.

Our reasons were:
To eat more meals at Epcot.
To be able to go to HS & ride TSM but then leave & go elsewhere & not waste a whole day ticket on that park.
Parks close way earlier in December so that way we could go to a later opening park if we wished too.

First time visit to me it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
you can add hopper once you are there if you decide you want it and you can also add days...so I would just get 4 day base right now and go from there.
The tickets are discounted with the promotion they have right now. Not sure they would still give you the discount if you wait til you're there to upgrade. I'd go with tickets for arrival and departure day and skip the hoppers.

CBR is the only moderate that hasn't updated to queen size beds yet. POR just finished a big renovation, so everything is pretty nice there. And, they allow pool hopping between POR and POFQ, so you could still use the pool at FQ if you like that one.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom View Post
But remember - if you decide to upgrade to park hoppers, it doesn't matter when you add on that feature - it will be the same price on Day One as it will be on Day Four. So you can't go to one park each of the first three days and then on Day Four decide "I want to Park Hop so it will only be one day". It will be for the entire time of your base ticket. For adding a park hopper, either do it on Day One or just suck it up and do the one park per day.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

thanks SO much for all the input everyone! you are all so great & so helpful, dis is the best

i'm going to take a real serious look at PORS with dh and if he agrees, i think i prefer to switch to the 5 day base.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Disnewby View Post

I could be reading this wrong, but you know you can't use that 5th day to go to a second park in one day, right? A hopper is the only way to get more than one park in a day.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
I could be reading this wrong, but you know you can't use that 5th day to go to a second park in one day, right? A hopper is the only way to get more than one park in a day.
I was going to say this too, because it sounds like the OP is thinking that she can do two days in one park this way instead of by buying hoppers.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: