Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #31
neptuneflame
Mouseketeer

How about the fact that at DCA TSMM is not a FP attraction and you don't have to wait anywhere near as long to ride it as you do at DHS?.

I love both, though I've only been to DL a handful of times compared to all the times I've been to WDW. There's something different in the tone and swagger of the place, with its local population, then WDW, with its tourists. Not worse or better, just different. I like walking the same streets Walt walked.

That being said, last time DHS and I went, we got 1 day park hoppers and did everything we wanted from 10am till 11pm. DH said he knew I was tired when I didn't want to close the park down at midnight!

And yes, I always thought "we" at WDW would get Space Mountain 2!! Robbed!

May 1987, June 1998, May 2002 *engagement trip*, Dec/Jan 2003/4 *Honeymoon*, Mar 2005 (Disneyland), June 2005, Jan 2007, Mar 2008, Oct 2008, Jun 2009 (Disneyland), Mar 2011 *DD's first trip!*, Oct 2011, Jan 2013 *DS's first trip!*, Mar 2014 *DNephew's first trip!*, Oct 2014
neptuneflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #32
Disney93
Another Disney Fan

There is no comparing DLR to WDW. I have been to DLR over 50 times and WDW about 15 times. We visit WDW for 10 to 12 days each trip, DLR is a couple of days. At WDW, it is so much more than just the parks, it is the whole package. I think most people that travel any distance feel they are going to southern California rather than just going to Disney. When we fly across the country, we are going to Disney World and don't care if we see anything else in Florida. We have gone to other attractions but WDW is the reason for the trip. IMHO
Disney93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #33
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine
PS - you forgot to mention a Butter Beer knock-off that is disgusting..
how is it a knock-off when there is no such thing? (I am not defending it, I have no interest in the WWOHP, I am simply curious)
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Yes, I'd LOVE to go to DLR.... but I can drive to WDW, so that's where we'll go. Although we're military, so I'm hoping the next move, if it isn't home, it'll be even closer to one of the parks! I do plan to go at some point though! I'm dying to see cars land!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #35
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
how is it a knock-off when there is no such thing? (I am not defending it, I have no interest in the WWOHP, I am simply curious)
The "LePew" Brew....which IS a blantant ripoff attempt of Butterbeer and not even original. It's a carryover from DL. Just do a google search on it and you can find more thoughts about it than you would think reasonable.
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #36
zoicca
Earning My Ears

I've been going to DLR pretty much all my live. First trip was in '85 and i've been about 8 or so times since. Always seem to make it there every 3 years or so.

It's quite funny that I see this post, because, I've always felt that we (west coasters) had been robbed by you east coasters. I guess my sentiment stems from the fact that for the longest time we only had the itty bitty DL without California Adventure.

Now, I'm actually heading to Florida and have been here for the last few months doing my research, and have to say, unequivocally, WDW is definitely not robbed. Yup, I agree that the new Fantasy Land doesn't excite me and isn't the blockbuster I hoped it would be, but all in all, I'd take WDW or DLR any day. I guess this is an unqualified opinion since I haven't actually BEEN to WDW yet. LOL.

Oh, and we're all so lucky. I've been to Disneyland Paris and Tokyo and they don't even compare.
zoicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #37
Jacie
Disney Obsessed!

I love the unique factor. We alternate yearly which park we go to and keep it interesting.

We spend five days at DLR and never get to see everything. I think three days is selling it far too short.
2011- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy! First WDW trip for Mommy!
2011- November- All Star Movies- First WDW trip for the kids, first resort stay!
2012- October- Flying back to the West Coast to go to Disneyland! Can't wait to be back to my home park!
2013- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy again!
2013- September- Family trip back to WDW for MNSSHP! Staying in the LM area at AoA!

Jacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #38
amberpi
DIS Veteran

While I prefer wdw over dlr (because I LOVE epcot and the huge size of the property) I do agree that the FLE thus far has been underwhelming and that carsland was more innovative. Id done the lm ride at dlr, and the belle attraction, while cute, is really not a repeat for those without kids, nor was my dear nephew(5) interested...at all. I am optimistic about the 7 dwarfs mine train, but so far, as much as I love wdw, Im not wowed by FLE, and cars land is pretty neat. /crosses fingers for something more revolutionary out of 7 dwarfs, the info released thus far is promising

Sidenote, I find that during the week, the crowds at dlr can be low enough that hopping over mid to late afternoon is completely workable. I have to be in the la area a couple of times a year or more, and I always have at least 1 afternoon where I finish up early - if you're in the area, you don't have to do rd the way you do at wdw, and they have 20000 leagues under the sea (even if it revised).
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #39
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
We are actually closer to DL than WDW here in Colorado, but we keep going back to WDW anyway. A couple of times I have had a tentative DL trip planned out, but the lack (as others have said) of Epcot and AK, plus the whole resort-feel ends up making me change my mind and just go back to Florida.

I did go to DL once, many years ago, and it was great, but felt more like a typical amusement/theme park, whereas WDW feels like a whole other "world". I do want to get to DL sometime though, and do some of the other stuff in So. Cal as well. It would be a very different sort of vacation though, I think.
This!! ^^^^ We live in the bay area and love WDW. We have no desire to go to Disneyland because it can be done in a few days. I like to go to WDW and stay 10 days. Maybe in the future we will visit DLR but in the meantime....Disneyworld it is!!

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #40
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneflame View Post
How about the fact that at DCA TSMM is not a FP attraction and you don't have to wait anywhere near as long to ride it as you do at DHS?.
We went to DLR a couple years ago and almost did not ride TSMM at all because there is no FP. We checked over and over throughout each day we were there and the line never dipped below an hour. I'll take the arrangement at DHS any day of the week. We rode it there in December twice with almost no wait (once at rope drop, once with FP).

The fact that many other rides (PP, Nemo Subs, many other FL rides) don't have FP makes it very difficult to just do it at rope drop to compensate for the lack of FP.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #41
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

We just went to DL last fall for the first time and TOT and HM are so much better in DL!!

we had a good time comparing the two!! both have some unique features...and after being at Carsland, it needs to be at HS!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

WDW could put in an excellent Cars Land at Magic Kingdom replacing Indy Speedway. Keep the same vehicles and put on new body shells for starters.
Avoid getting a lemon. The used car should test drive perfectly. Any roughness or hesitation and you should reject it and walk away. Don't accept excuses. Avoid becoming a battered spouse. Your fiance(e) should behave perfectly. Any roughness or outbursts and you should break up for good. Don't accept promises.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #43
lucas
°o°

I am a WDW vet as we live in South Florida. I have only been to DL/DCA once and it was fantastic! I can't wait to go again to see Cars Land.

And, at WDW I was disappointed with the new Fantasyland. The Little Mermaid attraction is just a re-hash of old effects. No new effects at all! The audio-animatronic character faces look like the doll faces from It's a Small World and you can even see the handles that make the characters move. IMHO, The Nemo ride at Epcot is much better than the Little Mermaid attraction.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #44
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

We have had a similar debate raging here in Europe, for many years, concerning WDW and DLRP.
I am a WDW fanatic, and make frequent long-haul trips across the ocean to be in my favourite place. I also own DVC.
However, I also love DLRP. It is compact (has two theme parks, Disney Village and six hotels all within walking distance of each other). For me it is the perfect 3 - 4 day 'Disney fix trip' and is not so overwhelming for small children (or their parents). Some rides are better (IMHO) than at WDW, SM, BTMR and ToT for example, and the studios has Pixar Place and the excellent Crush's Coaster. There are also a couple of really good and totally unique films/shows at the Studios.
In short, I would always pick a trip to WDW over a trip to Paris, money, of course, being no object, but I feel very lucky to have both at my disposal and don't think about comparing the two. To me, they are two different experiences, and I am glad they are so different.
One day I will get to DLR and experience that for myself too. I sincerely hope that I will see and enjoy the uniqueness of that resort too!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #45
SA mom
DIS Veteran

1) Fantasyland Expansion is not finished. There is still a lost mine train ride to come and some other stuff.

2) DCA needed something huge. We were there last summer and can't imagine spending more than half a day there without Carsland.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: