Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
hookedonears
Louisianan
 
hookedonears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,851

Universal being sold?

I thought I heard on the radio this morning that GE is selling its theme park division (which includes Universal) to Comcast. If that's the case, it's the worst thing that could have ever happened to Universal. Comcast has by far the worst customer service of any corporation in the history of corporations. They are horrible. I know a few years ago, Comcast made a run at Disney and fortunately for all of us, they failed.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
PainInIL
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 58

Comcast already owned 51% of it. This was just to purchase the remaining 49%. Comcast has dumped a ton of money into Universal Parks since the merger. It is a good thing for the Universal Parks and bad for Disney.
PainInIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
BrizMarc
YOUR AD HERE!
 
BrizMarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 413

I would say that comcast are responsible for the fact the parks ahve so much new and great stuff in them. Looks like with a full take over we might be in for a full blown theme park war
__________________
BrizMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder
 
zulemara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,349

isn't the CEo of comcast a former disney exec? That's why he's pouring money into Universal, he gets the theme park market and what a cash cow they can be!
__________________
DIS Unplugged DTD/Rumors special correspondent
Come join us on the rumors board!



zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,440
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
isn't the CEo of comcast a former disney exec? That's why he's pouring money into Universal, he gets the theme park market and what a cash cow they can be!
Not sure but I remember reading that Comcast tried to buy Disney some years ago and there is still some bad blood there. You may be right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainInIL View Post
Comcast already owned 51% of it. This was just to purchase the remaining 49%. Comcast has dumped a ton of money into Universal Parks since the merger. It is a good thing for the Universal Parks and bad for Disney.
Indeed...this is the absolute best thing for Universal Orlando. Comcast has pledged to spend $1.8B in the parks on new and existing attractions. Construction on Transformers and the new Simpsons area at the Studios will be done this summer and then there's a rumor that the Jurassic Park area at IoA will be the next on the block for improvements and a new family ride. It's going to be very interesting over the next few years.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.