Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #31
neg58
DIS Veteran

The cruise line could just add the tips to the price of the cruise, and pay the servers, but they must feel it is more competitive to do it the way they do.

I'd rather they just include it all in the price of the cruise and then let people tip or not tip extra.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

So who's included in the pre tipping and who's not? As a former bartender, I'd be mortified if I missed someone.

I hated adding gratuity but see their reasons for doing so. I'm sure people see their tab at the end if the cruise and flip. Looking to save money, they take it from the very staff that waited on them. Total garbage.

So other than room service, who doesn't get prepaid tips?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

I hope I can help answer your question .
The workers relying on their tips ( get a very small wage of $52.00 a month ) from Disney . These positions are , head server , server , assistant server , stateroom host . You can pre pay these tips in advance at guest services at the beginning of your cruise or at the time of booking your cruise . The room service staff depend on tips too along with the bartenders / drink servers around the pool decks . The suggested amount is added to drinks , of 15% we often add an additional amount of 2-$10.00 depending on our order . Sometimes I add 1.00 in cash for each drink . One worker told me any cash he receives he treats himself to a coffee or a snack when he manages to get a morning or afternoon off on port days , the rest of his money must be sent home to his family .
You can also take treats / candy , gum , bars to give to your workers as the workers live to get treats ! I gave treats to the pool man & he had tears in his eyes , everyday he saw me after he thanked me .
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit
I hope I can help answer your question .
The workers relying on their tips ( get a very small wage of $52.00 a month ) from Disney . These positions are , head server , server , assistant server , stateroom host . You can pre pay these tips in advance at guest services at the beginning of your cruise or at the time of booking your cruise . The room service staff depend on tips too along with the bartenders / drink servers around the pool decks . The suggested amount is added to drinks , of 15% we often add an additional amount of 2-$10.00 depending on our order . Sometimes I add 1.00 in cash for each drink . One worker told me any cash he receives he treats himself to a coffee or a snack when he manages to get a morning or afternoon off on port days , the rest of his money must be sent home to his family .
You can also take treats / candy , gum , bars to give to your workers as the workers live to get treats ! I gave treats to the pool man & he had tears in his eyes , everyday he saw me after he thanked me .
Thank you. That clears it up somewhat. They like treats too? Like bags of candy or chocolate bars? So if you want to tip servers more, do I just leave cash on the table? And with bartenders, they don't add a tip to the drink? Do I tip in cash?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Thank you. That clears it up somewhat. They like treats too? Like bags of candy or chocolate bars? So if you want to tip servers more, do I just leave cash on the table? And with bartenders, they don't add a tip to the drink? Do I tip in cash?
For your regular servers, you can tip at the table but I think it is better to just tip at the end; you can add more to your account or put it in the envelope on the last night. The whole purpose of KTTW cards is so you don't have to carry cash around and the CM aren't dealing with cash.

For bartenders, yes, 15% is added. You can add more to the signed bill or you can put cash in the folder. You usually sign a bill just like you would in any bar or restaurant.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #36
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta

ALL cruise workers are so thankful for treats , most cannot afford them nor do they get a chance very often to get off the ship to get treats ! I take gum , chocolate bars , life savers , peppermints & packaged candy like worthers & starburst candy . I add the cash to the tip envelope on the last night in the dining room when we have dinner . I add extra tips to the receipt that is charged to my account & sometimes when I get a drink from a sever I add a dollar bill or 2 in the folder that they hand you to sign .
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit View Post
ALL cruise workers are so thankful for treats , most cannot afford them nor do they get a chance very often to get off the ship to get treats ! I take gum , chocolate bars , life savers , peppermints & packaged candy like worthers & starburst candy . I add the cash to the tip envelope on the last night in the dining room when we have dinner . I add extra tips to the receipt that is charged to my account & sometimes when I get a drink from a sever I add a dollar bill or 2 in the folder that they hand you to sign .
I'm going to point out that there's a reason Disney doesn't sell gum in their parks or onboard - it's really nasty to find under your dining room table, or seat in the theatre. And it's icky to walk on it while on deck.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I'm going to point out that there's a reason Disney doesn't sell gum in their parks or onboard - it's really nasty to find under your dining room table, or seat in the theatre. And it's icky to walk on it while on deck.
And I'm absolutely sure (and grateful) that CM cannot have gum while in costume and probably not on board.

I can't tell you how I hate dealing with a clerk at a store while she is chewing gum.

Nancy
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #39
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

I understand your comment but on the same note I'm sure the CM would not be guilty of putting gum under a dining room table or throwing it on a deck ! The gum & treats are to be for their enjoyment in their little bit of free time that they have . We own our own business & I do not want my employees smacking on gum while working with the public either ...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #40
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

You an bring alcohol onboard in your carry-on. On our last cruise, we brought a few bottle of wine and my husband premixed some apple martinis.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #41
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

How much are the beer mug refills? I'm assuming it's for tap beers....what do they normally have on tap (we're sailing on the Wonder)
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #42
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit View Post

Thank you. This is good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle View Post
You an bring alcohol onboard in your carry-on. On our last cruise, we brought a few bottle of wine and my husband premixed some apple martinis.

I'll be bringing a bottle of rum. How can I not?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
markyhomer
Earning My Ears

Now I'm not being tight but could I take my beer mug back on my next cruise and use it again?
Can't remember what beer was on board but from what I can remember they had 2 largers on draft.. And they wasn't bad.. :-D
markyhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #44
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

I believe you can bring your mug back for the next cruise. We did, but it was a long time ago. And yes, there is a good variety of draft beers at the different bars. Especially O'Gills Pub on the Fantasy.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #45
markyhomer
Earning My Ears

Cheers DVCNuts....Cheers...get it...?

Even though I love the mug, i just don't fancy having two in my cupboard(They are pretty big).

Got the Med coming up in July, can't wait now, already did the Med in 2011..
markyhomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: