Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Something me and my son learned the hard way. Go over with you children what is free and what cost money. Almost everything on the Disney ship the kids would get is free. On some of the other cruise lines they had Ice cream bars and my son (10 at the time) learned the hard way was not free. It was no a big deal other than he freaked when the person gave him the ice cream Sunday and asked for payment.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Henlady
DIS Veteran

DH is a "beer drinker" and has the DCL Mug. You pay for 16 oz and get 20 oz.
On the Cruise he usually drinks about 4-5 of those mugs a day, so for a 7 night cruise I budget $245 for him for beer. For me, I may have 1 glass of wine and maybe 1 mixed drink so for 7 days that comes to a total of about $105.
Total alcohol costs for us: $350 for a 7 night cruise.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
jaulty
Mouseketeer

How much do you drink? That is the real question. I found our "tab" from 2010 for a 7 night cruise...

Wine Package (7 bottles): $217.35
Drinks during the day: $79.20
Drinks after dinner: $41.18

Total: $337.73

It was our honeymoon....!

Also, for reference, BINGO cost us $170! So you need to be careful there as well!
jaulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
Depending on the quality of the wine and complexity of the cocktail, count on $7-9 incl gratuity. That's an average per drink. The kids won't cost you anything unless you get room service or smoothies. (unless they're doing tequila shots in Oceaneer's Lab )

Aside from alcohol and packaged items, I thought room service was free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
There are many options:

If you want wine at dinner, depending on the wine you want, conider bringing your own bottle for corkage fee of $10, depending on if the 2 of you would drink the whole bottle at dinner that could be a resonable savings.

Also, i believe that if you dont drink your whole bottle you canhave servers hold it for you for next dinner (someone ill correct me if amwrong on this)

And although controversial, i have seen more than several people just walk into dinner with a glass of wine.

Now if it is fruity drink you are wanting by the pool there are also several options.

Purchase them at $7-9 a pop.

(again controversial) make them in your room and bring them to the pool. i brought a Magic Bullet with me and you can find anything you want to make a drink with in that. ice cream (free on deck) fruit (free on deck) also some juices with breakfast. and ice of ourse free on deck at drink station. think ice, orange juice, and ice cream and peach schnapps blended. i have purchased a drink on the frst day and then just poured my own blended drink into the souvineir cup.

OR if you dont want to add your own alchohol, you can purchase a less expensive shot and add i to your own mix. You can also do this for the kids t have smoothies of tneir own.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.....lol drink for thougt

I heard the corkage was $20. Hmmm......I may have to bring some wine with my bottle of rum. Will they hold the opened bottled of wine for me?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Room service is free except for packaged snacks and alcohol. Bring singles for tips if you order room service.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
Room service is free except for packaged snacks and alcohol. Bring singles for tips if you order room service.

Thank you!

Do not a lot of people tip? I see constant reminders to tip.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Do not a lot of people tip? I see constant reminders to tip.
It can just be confusing since tipping on a cruise is somewhat different than tipping on land--you tip your main servers at the end of the week, service for breakfast and lunch is included in the main server tip, tips are automatically added to bar drinks, and you tip room service in cash. It can be a lot to keep straight if you're new to cruising!

Plus, since the ship is virtually cashless, it can be easy to forget to keep a supply of singles on hand for the few people who do get cash tips.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

So many people do not tip at all ! Go to Guest Services the last day/night of your cruise & you will see a huge line . So many people are removing their tips & say they will pay the workers direct with cash . For the most part this is FALSE . My friend has worked at guest services for years & they are friends with many workers & so many people do not tip , this to me is very very sad as it is their wage ! If we do not tip the workers they do not get a salary . The last night of my Dream cruise I overheard a man saying he was removing his tips & I asked if he had bad service & his reply was " my service was great , I'm not tipping already paid enough for this trip & I'm not tipping " . I told him if he didn't tip then his servers wouldn't get paid & the ignorant @&$;$ said too bad !!! I was furious.
We had a conversation with our server about this & he told us directly that many people remove them & do not give it back to them . The tipped positions are 52.00 a month from Disney .
No one will ever be poor by giving ....
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit
So many people do not tip at all ! Go to Guest Services the last day/night of your cruise & you will see a huge line . So many people are removing their tips & say they will pay the workers direct with cash . For the most part this is FALSE . My friend has worked at guest services for years & they are friends with many workers & so many people do not tip , this to me is very very sad as it is their wage ! If we do not tip the workers they do not get a salary . The last night of my Dream cruise I overheard a man saying he was removing his tips & I asked if he had bad service & his reply was " my service was great , I'm not tipping already paid enough for this trip & I'm not tipping " . I told him if he didn't tip then his servers wouldn't get paid & the ignorant @&$;$ said too bad !!! I was furious.
We had a conversation with our server about this & he told us directly that many people remove them & do not give it back to them . The tipped positions are 52.00 a month from Disney .
No one will ever be poor by giving ....
That is disgusting and outrageous!! I've seen those lines at guest services and for someone to be so ignorant as to wait that long and then take money away from hardworking staff is rude!!
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Aside from alcohol and packaged items, I thought room service was free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
And soda, too, right? I think if soda is ordered through room service, it's the same as ordering at a bar. You get a can and a charge.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
bsamps
Earning My Ears

This is not going to be good. I'm a sucker for rum drinks, and I can imagine that my bar tab will be quite large. Either that, or I'll have to byor. Good thing my cruise isn't 'til next year. I've plenty 'o time to collect some disney gift card!
bsamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWQuestie View Post
And soda, too, right? I think if soda is ordered through room service, it's the same as ordering at a bar. You get a can and a charge.
Yes, soda from room service has a charge.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

Just pulled out my bill from our June 2012 7-day cruise. Between my wife and I, we spent roughly $150.00 for 18 drinks (avg. $8/drink).
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
bahacca
Mouseketeer

My DH and I sound similar to you guys, but I am a sucker for fru fru drinks. I budgeted $300 for drinks on a 4 day cruise. I also budgeted $32 for coffee since we both like coffee drinks like lattes. I figured the drink cost as the following:
1 smoothie/special drink per kid per day(we have 2 kids)-So, roughly $8/day for drinks for the kids=$32
2 bottles of sparkling wine/champagne for the first night since it is our 10 year anniversary(and My MIL and SFIL treated us to the cruise and are coming with, so we'll need 2 bottles;-) about $50 since I like Asti
Then about 2 drinks/day for DH and I. He likes beer, wine and some fru fru stuff. I LOVE fru fru drinks. My guess is my drink bill will be higher than his as we'll carry on Captain Morgan and wine. I figured I'd aim higher in estimating since it is a BUDGET
Oh-and tastings rank on the drinking scale and I think are $20 each. I have this in a separate category all by itself, though.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penel3

That is disgusting and outrageous!! I've seen those lines at guest services and for someone to be so ignorant as to wait that long and then take money away from hardworking staff is rude!!
It's very sad that some people don't tip at all ! Our server also told us that so many guests are so demanding , get wonderful service all week long , take photos & then don't show up the last night so they don't have to feel guilty about not tipping ! On my cruise last March the server next to our table ended up chatting with us ( poor guy had a table of 10 ) and his table didn't show up & the next morning my husband asked if they came for breakfast & he said NO , it happens sometimes ! Our server told us he/ other server checked his account & they did not tip ...turns out to be a bad week when you only have 14 guests & 10 do not tip .
Some people have the idea that these workers are paid huge $$$ when in fact they work on tips , if we all tipped the required amount then they would make a decent wage . I personally feel the tips are the bare minimum & we should be tipping extra for wonderful service . You can add cash & write a personal note to your server & hosts . They get to keep their tip $$$ , they do not share . I feel tips should be mandatory !!!
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: