Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Jackets for Alaska

We are from South Florida so we really don't own winter coats.

I have one pea coat I wear when we go to NYC.
I don't think that will work in Alaska.

We are looking at either the August 26th or September 2nd cruise.

What should we be looking for in jackets and shoes?
I'm thinking to buy now for the best deals.

Thanks,
Lori
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You want layers in Alaska, so fleece would be good to get in addition to a coat to give you that option. You want something that is water resistant, especially if you are going on excursions dealing with glaciers or sledding. It also rains a lot there, so that will help. For shoes, again, you want something that will keep your feet dry and has good traction. Packing was challenging since we couldn't drive that time. I had long sleeve shirts, button downs to put over them when necessary and sweatshirts as well. It can get warm at times in the summer as well. We hiked to Mendenhal Glacier and before we got there had taken off a few layers since it warmed up from the time we got off the ship in the morning.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
m1ckeym0use1
Mouseketeer

We went in late May last year. I usually wore a light water resistant/proof shell type jacket. Then underneath I could layer 1 or 2 sweatshirts if needed. I also brought a water proof hat with a wide brim.... that worked out great. Like having an umbrella over your head without having to carry one.

So bottom line... lighter layers, with the outside layer being able to handle the rain.
m1ckeym0use1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
You want layers in Alaska, so fleece would be good to get in addition to a coat to give you that option. You want something that is water resistant, especially if you are going on excursions dealing with glaciers or sledding. It also rains a lot there, so that will help. For shoes, again, you want something that will keep your feet dry and has good traction. Packing was challenging since we couldn't drive that time. I had long sleeve shirts, button downs to put over them when necessary and sweatshirts as well. It can get warm at times in the summer as well. We hiked to Mendenhal Glacier and before we got there had taken off a few layers since it warmed up from the time we got off the ship in the morning.
I agree. Right now is a good time to purchase a fleece jacket. Many of the stores have them discounted as they bring in spring stuff. Also great deals on discontinued colors. Backcountry dot com and Eastern Mountain Sports usually have good deals. Eddie Bauer and Lands End sell some very nice packable rain jackets.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Thanks.
I was looking and saw some Northern Face Jackets that will probably work with layers.

Yes, flying makes it all much more challenging.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Searching I see temps as high as 60's, lows in 40's.
But most pictures I see it always looks wet.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
tajz90
Mama D

We are from Texas and we wore a Columbia fleece jacket and a rain coat over it. Layers! Worked perfect. Threw on some gloves and we were good to go. Of course, it didn't rain one drop on our trip, but the rain jacket certainly stopped the wind.

We just wore tennis shoes. I would bring some water proof type shoes in case it does rain or spare tennis shoes.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
patches4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post

Thanks,
Lori
You definitely will need layers, and especially a waterproof jacket with hood. Juneau is usually rainy and cold.
patches4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We all got water resistant North Face jackets. They weren't real heavy jackets though. We took some fleece sweatshirts with us as well so we could layer.

Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

You may be doing the same thing I did before we went to Alaska. I was thinking the frozen north. The averages fro Juneau, AK in September is low of 44 and a high of 56. September is their time for the most rain, 8.64 in. We went in June which is a little warmer and used normal California rain jackets.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post

Thanks,
Lori
We did the last 2011 DCL Alaska cruise (27 Aug - 6 Sep) and I definitely recommend layers! For the Tracy Arm day - when we were on deck, I wore the following (I get cold easily - so I figure this is a good recco for Floridians)

Outer to inner layers: rain jacket with a hood, fleece hoodie, fleece vest, long-sleeve T shirt, silk turtleneck. On my bottom half, I wore Jeans (tho I wish I'd had long underwear bottoms too!) socks and waterproofed sneakers. I also had gloves & an earband. I wore pretty much the same outfit for whale watching - another day we were outside most of the time.

If you're planning on doing a hiking excursion, get waterproof hiking boots - otherwise take 2 pair of sneakers & buy some waterproofing spray to prep them ahead of time. I cleaned up an old pair of tennies, waterproofed them & then tossed 'em in the trash at the end of the trip = more room for souvenirs!

FYI - I bought a decent winter jacket in Skagway on clearance for $20 & have used it the last 2 Indiana winter seasons!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
MCO mama
Mouseketeer

We went to Alaska in September and it was not all that cold -- we are Florida peeps, too! Everyone is right about layers...a couple of turtlenecks, a sweatshirt, jeans, and a good raincoat. It is so amazingly beautiful -- have a great trip!!
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post
We did the last 2011 DCL Alaska cruise (27 Aug - 6 Sep) and I definitely recommend layers! For the Tracy Arm day - when we were on deck, I wore the following (I get cold easily - so I figure this is a good recco for Floridians)

Outer to inner layers: rain jacket with a hood, fleece hoodie, fleece vest, long-sleeve T shirt, silk turtleneck. On my bottom half, I wore Jeans (tho I wish I'd had long underwear bottoms too!) socks and waterproofed sneakers. I also had gloves & an earband. I wore pretty much the same outfit for whale watching - another day we were outside most of the time.

If you're planning on doing a hiking excursion, get waterproof hiking boots - otherwise take 2 pair of sneakers & buy some waterproofing spray to prep them ahead of time. I cleaned up an old pair of tennies, waterproofed them & then tossed 'em in the trash at the end of the trip = more room for souvenirs!

FYI - I bought a decent winter jacket in Skagway on clearance for $20 & have used it the last 2 Indiana winter seasons!
Thanks for the shoe tip!!!!
I will be using that one for sure.
I am always cold so your ideas sound great.

Thanks,
Lori
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We've cruised Alaska four times and the only time I was really cold was when the ship was "up close and personal" with a glacier and the wind was blowing right at us.

I like to wear warm-ups, and actually get some use out of my sweaters. It does seem rather strange to take the sweaters to the cleaners when we get back to Ariz and the temp is over 110F.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I had a sweatshirt and a rain jacket in port. That was fine in September. Didn't go on any "walk on the glacier" or dogsledding excursions or anything like that though. It rained in every port.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: