Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #16
LouisaBean
Earning My Ears

Question

How do you know which items on the cabin service menu are included or extra. Does it state it on the menu? Is it clear around the ship as to what is included in your cruise fare and what is not included
LouisaBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
Labdog
Earning My Ears

We're getting ready for our 1st cruise so I am total nube, can cash be used at the bar/coffee etc. or is everything charged to your room ?
Labdog is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
We're getting ready for our 1st cruise so I am total nube, can cash be used at the bar/coffee etc. or is everything charged to your room ?
No cash. You can bring cash and put it on your onboard account at guest services so you are "charging" on a pre existing credit but you cannot use cash anywhere except for tipping (room service, bar tenders, etc.)

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaBean View Post
How do you know which items on the cabin service menu are included or extra. Does it state it on the menu? Is it clear around the ship as to what is included in your cruise fare and what is not included
If I remember correctly, yes the room service menu indicates what has an additional charge. I don't believe it actually says what the charge is though. Is it clear on everything that costs? I would say no, especially for kids.

DynamicDisneyDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
abitagirl916
Disneymaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Can't you view your room charges on your stateroom tv, anytime during the cruise? Helps take away the shock and know what to expect.

Excursions and alcohol are always our biggest charges.
On the Dream and the Fantasy, you can view your room charges on your stateroom tv, but not on the Magic or the Wonder, that is, unless they upgraded the system on the Magic and Wonder.
Tammy & Rachel -- 2/2004 AllStar Movies; 4/2006 Pop Century; 10/2007 Disney Magic; 5/2010 AllStar Movies; 6/2011 Disney Dream Double Dip; 9/2012 Shades of Green; 2/2013 AllStar Movies; 10/2013 Disney Fantasy-Western; 9/2014 AllStar Sports; 10/2015 Disney Fantasy-Western
abitagirl916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
Disneygirl NY
Mouseketeer

When we have a trip planned we ask family members for Disney Gift Cards for Christmas, bdays, etc. Our 2 boys each had $40, and my husband had $140 from xmas and from a friend he helped out. That ate up a big chunk of our room bill. You need to bring them to the guest services desk for them to be applied to the bill. I did a $50 spa treatment, boys did the sports simulator for $20, then we had some drinks, bingo cards, a few photos, and the tips.
Disneygirl NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #22
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Remy can add up quickly, especially if you get the wine pairing. And the bar tab, especially if your team wins an NFL playoff game and you buy drinks for everyone.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #23
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo View Post
Is it clear on everything that costs? I would say no, especially for kids.
Can you please clarify this? Sorry, new to cruising so wanting to plan ahead.

Thanks also to the person who mentioned you can view your bill on the TV in your stateroom. Good to know.

I know my biggest temptation is going to be to buy the picture CD. I have a year - might just as well begin saving for it now!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

You can go by guest services at any time and they will print a copy of your bill. I usually do this once or twice just to see where I am but as other said you can literally spend nothing extra if you want (except gratuities) or ALOT! Things that always add up for me are spa treatments, rainforest, pictures, excursions, bingo, drinks, most importantly Palo =) and the gift shop. but, everytime I go I know what I have saved and am pretty good about picking and choosing and staying within that number.

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

So when people talk about ordering Mickey Bars from room service are those free or do they have to pay for them? I always assumed they were free.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #26
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
So when people talk about ordering Mickey Bars from room service are those free or do they have to pay for them? I always assumed they were free.
The Mickey Bars are free. There is a whole list of what is free in your cabin and what has a charge. I just bring a stack of one dollar bills for tips.

you can get the Mickey Bars in the dining room too.... they are on the kids dessert menu.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #27
3princessMommy
DIS Veteran

Mickey Bars are free!

I always try and estimate my charges and then prepay my onboard account with my Disney Visa. I get 6 mo interest free financing with that an Disney reward points that I can use on my trip! (Just do it in the month billing cycle before your trip, so it calculates in time to redeem the points.)

The big ticket items for us are normally:

- Excursions
- Palo/ Remy
- Souvenirs
- Wine package
- Tips
- photos
- Spa

The rest tends to be smaller for us. But these are the ones I can generally plan in advance and pre-pay.

DHMe DD13 DD11 DD8 Nala Sasha Patches
1976:WDW OS; 1986:WDW OS; 1993:WDW CR; 2007:DLP NBC; 2008:WDW SOG; DCL Wonder DD; 2009:WDW SOG; DCL Magic Tortola; 2010:DCL Magic Baltic; DCL Magic Xmas; 2011:DCL Wonder Alaska; WDW AK; 2012: WDW BLT & DCL Fantasy Western; 2013: WDW BCV & B2B DCL Dream; 2014: Magic Barcelona to Venice Repo Planned: 2015: Fantasy Eastern; Magic Iceland Cruise
3princessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
chudson98
Mouseketeer

We rented bikes at Castaway and that was charged to our room. Best money we spent! It was so much fun and a beautiful family ride. It think it cost about $15 for each bike with helmet for 2 hours.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #29
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

We didn't do excursions but here is what was on our bill our first Disney cruise:

1. Gift shop purchases.
2. Special kids drinks in souvenier cups with the glowing tinkerbell/toy story characters. (They carry these around during the shows like at a ball game. If you have small kids they will be wanting these BADLY!) and they are pretty obvious because they glow. I think ours had milkshakes.
3. A couple drinks of the day.
4. Our tips
5. $40 in laundry (we brought aboard a 3 month old and our 3 year old got a bit of sea sickness so we did a lot of laundry).
6. Cove Coffee (6 days 3 drinks/day). My mom, wife, and myself each had a special coffee each day.
7. M&M's from the theater. (These showed up really strange on our bill. I don't remember how they showed up but I couldn't figure it out. Even when I asked Guest Services they didn't know. I eventually figured it out.)
8. Palo brunch and Palo Dinner
9. Tips from someone else's room. We payed our bill and settled expenses the day before we left so we wouldn't have to wait in line. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the stateroom account the day we were to disembark and saw that our tips went WAY up. I went to guest services and asked what happened and they treated us like we made the mistake on our form. Turns out someone the night before had put their name on their form but our stateroom number so Disney added their tips to our room. It was a huge pain and we had to wait for 40 minutes for them to go through all the forms before they would remove the charge from our bill.

We didn't do any excursions.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
gilsan
DIS Veteran

I am not sure which ship you are on but the Bibbidi Boppiti Boutique may be something you would do, especially with a 4/5 year old daughter.

My DD wanted to do one of the packages so she saved her allowance to pay for it. I also had booked her in for the pirate makeover without the dress, but she enjoyed the first BBB experience so much we upgraded to the full pirate package.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: