Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
SeilerBird
Mouseketeer

Campground prices

I reserved my campground space at FW about two months ago. The space was $67 a night on weekdays and $72 on weekends. I put down the required one nights deposit. Just the other day while checking out Disney's website I noticed the prices have gone up $5 a night. So am I locked in at the old rate or will they charge me the new rate?
SeilerBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
happycamper47
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeilerBird View Post
I reserved my campground space at FW about two months ago. The space was $67 a night on weekdays and $72 on weekends. I put down the required one nights deposit. Just the other day while checking out Disney's website I noticed the prices have gone up $5 a night. So am I locked in at the old rate or will they charge me the new rate?
The $72 and $77 rates have been quoted for a preferred site since Feb 2012 and that's what they are charging. What level did you reserve?

Last edited by happycamper47; 01-19-2013 at 04:30 PM.
happycamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Because you can make a ressie up to 499 in advance, this can be a question.

Rates are often set the summer/fall before January 1. You may be charged a deposit of the old rate (what it is at that time) if new rates haven't been set.

Once rates are set they won't ask for the incremental $ to fill up the one night deposit at the new rate. But when you check in, you will pay the balance and it will be calculated on the new higher rates.

You do not LOCK IN your rate when the ressie is made. You pay the going rate the day you check in. The mouse always gets his.

Bama ED

PS - the Fort had an antiquated ressie up until about 5 years ago and the daily rate for your entire stay was the rate of whatever day you checked in. I used that once to do our December 2007 visit (the last year you could do this) and got the low early December rate for the entire stay up through the day before Christmas. No differential on weekends either. Ah, those were the days.......
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182

Last edited by bama_ed; 01-19-2013 at 07:31 PM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
SeilerBird
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper47 View Post
The $72 and $77 rates have been quoted for a preferred site since Feb 2012 and that's what they are charging. What level did you reserve?
I reserved the lowest level campsite for an RV, not the premium or the prefered.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
SeilerBird
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post

You do not LOCK IN your rate when the ressie is made. You pay the going rate the day you check in. The mouse always gets his.
No the mouse will not get his. I will change my reservation from 14 days to 7 days and the mouse will take a hell of a hit.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No the mouse will not get his. I will change my reservation from 14 days to 7 days and the mouse will take a hell of a hit.
So let's see if I have this straight, for $35 ($5 a night more and 14 days versus 7 days) you are going to stay someplace else? Are you going to any of the parks on the 7 days you aren't staying? $15 to park? I doubt very seriously if the mouse is going to take a "hell of a hit" they will just rent the site out for the 7 days to someone else! Have a nice day!
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
articfox676
Mouseketeer

I know the mouse's prices are high but the quality far exceeds other campgrounds. We stayed (in July) at another local (to Disney) campground and had trouble running our AC due to the load from everyone. When we called the office they said more or less OH WELL and we were on our own. No AC in July??? Not for me. Now way would Disney leave you hanging.
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Have you ever been to Fort Wilderness before, Seiler?

Your cancellation of a week during what may possibly be a busy time (don't know your EXACT dates) made it possible for another family who may have been blocked out (due to no availability) to experience the Fort. Your cancellation will make another family happy because now THEY can experience the Fort, attend the campfire, and hit the theme parks. See? The mouse still gets his....

Since your status shows you as a full time RV'er, you're probably more sensitive than the rest of us to the daily rate. The rest of us are on vacation. We have a home to go back to. For us the Fort is a get-away and I am willing to pay the rate if I get something of perceived value in return. The Fort is not a place for full timers (for the most part - although there are a few there who are chalking up the YEARS) and there are a number of folks who snowbird there for months during the fall-winter-spring (I would like to be one of them some day).

So come and enjoy your week at the Fort.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
Have you ever been to Fort Wilderness before, Seiler?

Your cancellation of a week during what may possibly be a busy time (don't know your EXACT dates) made it possible for another family who may have been blocked out (due to no availability) to experience the Fort. Your cancellation will make another family happy because now THEY can experience the Fort, attend the campfire, and hit the theme parks. See? The mouse still gets his....

Since your status shows you as a full time RV'er, you're probably more sensitive than the rest of us to the daily rate. The rest of us are on vacation. We have a home to go back to. For us the Fort is a get-away and I am willing to pay the rate if I get something of perceived value in return. The Fort is not a place for full timers (for the most part - although there are a few there who are chalking up the YEARS) and there are a number of folks who snowbird there for months during the fall-winter-spring (I would like to be one of them some day).

So come and enjoy your week at the Fort.

Bama ED
When we were at the fort last year, I would have loved to have the $77 rate.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
SeilerBird
Mouseketeer

Of course the mouse will resell my space. But the mouse is losing out because I was going to buy an annual pass and spend 14 days in the park. Now I will buy a 6 day pass.

I know this sounds silly worrying about $35. It is not about the money. I certainly have no problem affording it. It is about principal. If this is the way Disney treats it's customers then they can stuff it where the sun don't shine. I am driving from Arizona to Florida specifically to visit WDW. I only have about 500 miles to go. If I had learned about their greed before I took off I would have just cancelled the trip. I don't need to visit WDW, but it sounded like a good idea. However if they treat their customers like as if WDW is god then they really are out of touch with reality. WDW isn't going to miss my money, but I will feel better. I don't like people taking advantage on me.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I reserved the lowest level campsite for an RV, not the premium or the prefered.
So if you reserved the lowest level which would be a full hookup site, at $72 and $77 something is not adding up here, on another thread you said you put down a $73 deposit for one nightand if I look at disney reservations, it shows a preferred at $72 and $77 a night but the full hookup I looked at the first part of Feburary showed $65 and $70Oh well, hope you have a nice Disney trip anyway.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Of course the mouse will resell my space. But the mouse is losing out because I was going to buy an annual pass and spend 14 days in the park. Now I will buy a 6 day pass.

I know this sounds silly worrying about $35. It is not about the money. I certainly have no problem affording it. It is about principal. If this is the way Disney treats it's customers then they can stuff it where the sun don't shine. I am driving from Arizona to Florida specifically to visit WDW. I only have about 500 miles to go. If I had learned about their greed before I took off I would have just cancelled the trip. I don't need to visit WDW, but it sounded like a good idea. However if they treat their customers like as if WDW is god then they really are out of touch with reality. WDW isn't going to miss my money, but I will feel better. I don't like people taking advantage on me.
Sorry you feel this way. Disney has never hidden the fact that their rates usually go up most years. We have been going to FW since the year after they opened, and have always felt we get our $$'s worth compared to other CC's we have stayed at. It's also a lot about *location, location* as well as the amenities there. And no, we would never use it as *just a place to stay* as we could not afford it, but for a 10 day (usually) stay we thoroughly enjoy our time there.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Did you call Disney and ask this question?

Did you look at your reservation confirmation?

I booked a trip for this fall in December. My reservation fine print says the following:

ROOM RATE REVISIONS FOR ARRIVALS JANUARY 1, 2013 TO DECEMBER 31, 2013: Room rates for arrivals on or prior to December 31, 2013 are guaranteed as long as room reservation is not changed (except for changes in tax rates or other governmental charges)

What Bama Ed is talking about, I believe is related to to reservations made further out than they have established room rates for. You did not book that far out.

So rather than worry, or cancel your second week, or get annoyed with Disney over something that may not even happen, why not simply call, give them your reservation confirmation number and verify the rate.

That will give you peace of mind for your final 500 mile drive.

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Sorry you feel this way. Disney has never hidden the fact that their rates usually go up most years. We have been going to FW since the year after they opened, and have always felt we get our $$'s worth compared to other CC's we have stayed at. It's also a lot about *location, location* as well as the amenities there. And no, we would never use it as *just a place to stay* as we could not afford it, but for a 10 day (usually) stay we thoroughly enjoy our time there.
I couldn't agree with you more, trip this year is not a Disney trip so not staying at Disney and paying the price, 2014 trip will be a Disney trip and I could not imagine staying someplace else. If I remember making reservations last year for Disney, they told me that prices are subject to change on Jan 1,
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
SeilerBird
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNJ View Post
Did you call Disney and ask this question?

Did you look at your reservation confirmation?

I booked a trip for this fall in December. My reservation fine print says the following:

ROOM RATE REVISIONS FOR ARRIVALS JANUARY 1, 2013 TO DECEMBER 31, 2013: Room rates for arrivals on or prior to December 31, 2013 are guaranteed as long as room reservation is not changed (except for changes in tax rates or other governmental charges)

What Bama Ed is talking about, I believe is related to to reservations made further out than they have established room rates for. You did not book that far out.

So rather than worry, or cancel your second week, or get annoyed with Disney over something that may not even happen, why not simply call, give them your reservation confirmation number and verify the rate.

That will give you peace of mind for your final 500 mile drive.
No I did not call Disney to ask those questions or I would not have posted the question on this forum at all. I positively hate talking on the phone and I have being put on hold even more so. I thought it would be easier to post a question on this forum. And I would bet you money that if I called WDW four times and asked the same question I would get four different answers. People who work answering the phone are uaually not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I am not worried at all. I was just curious. I am not cancelling anything until I get there and see if they tell me I owe them $975. If that is the case then there is no problem. If they tell me that I owe them $1050 then I would not want to be the one delivering me the news. They will not be having a happy day. And then I will insist on explaining to a manager why I am so unhappy.

I am old school. If I agree to something then that is the law to me. If Disney doesn't feel that way then I am not going to be doing much business with them.

Last edited by SeilerBird; 01-21-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: