DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Kidani Grand Villa Standard View

Could any of you tell me about the Kidani GV standard views? Right now I have a savanna view but I need another night and the only way to do it is to move down to a standard view.

A link to a map of the GV locations would be great if any of you have it.

Thanks!
chrisw127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
floribr1
Mouseketeer

I don't have a link to a map for you, however I can describe to you where the standard view GVs are located. Kidani Village is roughly in the shape of a backwards number 3. The two standard view GVs are both located in the middle top of the 3.

I understand that these used to be considered savanna view villas, however many members complained that the view was very sub-par, and so they added the standard view designation. You will probably be able to get a glimpse of some animals, but don't expect the view to be great.

The biggest complaint I have heard about that section of Kidani is the great distance from the lobby, restaurant and pools.
floribr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
LisaS
DIS Veteran

In this aerial view of AKV, the location of the Standard View GVs in Kidani Village is circled in red. These were reclassified to Standard View because the savanna is only about 50 feet deep at that point.

This aerial view looks down into that part of the Pembe Savanna. You can see how narrow the savanna is in that area. The GVs have a peaked roof so you can see where they are located in this photo. On the other side of the road shown in the photo is a hill so when looking straight out from the balcony you will see 50 feet of savanna, a fence, a road and then the side of a hill.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
gortman65
Proud papa to two Mouseketeers

We stayed in one of the std view GVs at Kidani back in Oct. 2011. We saw red river hogs and antelope from time to time from our balcony overlooking that narrow strip of Pembe savannah, but it's of course not the same as seeing "star" animals like giraffe and zebra. Still pretty though, especially at sunrise.

The room was a looong walk from the lobby/bus stop but was pretty convenient to the pool. We ended up renting a van and used it to shuttle our party back and forth from the room to the bus stop for our park days.

Last edited by gortman65; 03-03-2013 at 12:59 PM.
gortman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Thank you! I'm going to call member services this morning and switch over if I can. So none of these villas face the parking lot? That was my biggest concern.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortman65 View Post
We stayed in one of the std view GVs at Kidani back in Oct. 2011. We saw red river hogs and antelope from time to time from our balcony overlooking that narrow strip of Pembe savannah, but it's of course not the same as seeing "star" animals like giraffe and zebra. Still pretty though, especially at sunrise.

The room was a looong walk from the lobby/bus stop but it pretty convenient to the pool. We ended up renting a van and used it to shuttle our party back and forth from the room to the bus stop for our park days.
Thanks. There's still a parking garage under these villas, like in the rest of Kidani? We will have a car (thank goodness).

I just switched over. Had to buy 18 points, but it was still cheaper than the 2 rooms I had booked at Coronado and now I don't have to move after the first night.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
gortman65

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw127 View Post
Thanks. There's still a parking garage under these villas, like in the rest of Kidani? We will have a car (thank goodness).

I just switched over. Had to buy 18 points, but it was still cheaper than the 2 rooms I had booked at Coronado and now I don't have to move after the first night.
Yes, the underground parking garage extends to that section of the resort. It was occasionally challenging to find a parking spot close to the elevator, but even so it was a much shorter walk than it would have been from the lobby!

By the way, we loved that GV. Three families with ten people total fit with room to spare. Some of the kids had fun sleeping on the pull out sofa bed up in the second floor living room, giving parents a little extra quiet time.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortman65 View Post
Yes, the underground parking garage extends to that section of the resort. It was occasionally challenging to find a parking spot close to the elevator, but even so it was a much shorter walk than it would have been from the lobby!

By the way, we loved that GV. Three families with ten people total fit with room to spare. Some of the kids had fun sleeping on the pull out sofa bed up in the second floor living room, giving parents a little extra quiet time.
Thank you--so happy I changed.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
gortman65

Here are a few pictures from the balcony of the std view GV we stayed in:

This shows how narrow Pembe savannah is near the std view GVs (looking north, I believe):

This is a view to the west:

And here is an okapi looking east from our balcony:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: