Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #1276
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I hope you have a fabulous day!

Thanks friend. At work now and it's CRAZY busy. Kids and M were sweet this morning. Opened their cards, so funny, I'll have to post them. They got me a Disney gift card to spend on the cruise.

Quote:
Im sorry, I misspoke about the shoes for dinner. I think they frown on flip flops but even then people wear them.

No robes in the rooms, maybe on CL but not in the normal rooms. They do have them in the spa, perhaps you could spirit one away in a backpack. I have a robe I always bring myself, makes the vacation that much nicer to have your favorite things.

Spirit one away.... I'll bring mine and Joshua's. He likes his robe too. I agree about vacastion being better when we've got our favorite things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
The chicken parm at Palo is awesome! You must try it! Its nothing like any other chicken parm I had before. The sauce is so subtle, the risotto is the most perfect accompaniment. The chicken is so tender. It was a little different on the Magic than the Wonder, better on the Wonder. Same with the lobster ravioli, but soooo good. Pretty much you can't go wrong with anything at Palo. There's nothing I had there that wasn't super good and only a handful of things that I didn't find fantastic but most everything there was just over the top tasty. I don't know if it is that good or they just give you the same magic DVC kool aid we all drank, but for me it won't be a Disney cruise without a Palo brunch. There's no way I could do a three day because I need my Palo Brunch!
No Palo brunch on the three day cruises?

I'm trying the chicken parm for sure. The pics look incredible. I am a risotto snob so we'll see... Lobster ravioli? Sounds great too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Well it's a little better (spasms have calmed down, can raise it just enough to put on deodorant lol) but still far worse than it was this weekend. I have an appointment this morning with an ortho, icing it now. We will see what they say. I suspect ultimately it's related to my neck stuff but you never know I guess.
Let me know how the appointment goes, good luck.

Quote:
Alaska was hard to pack for, for that very reason. I felt like I brought the kitchen sink! Stuff for rain, cold, formal, hang out, you name it!

And with so many of you too. How many bags did you end up having?

Quote:
No, Jeff may have I am not sure. For me, brunch means an egg entree and I can't wrap my head around anything else. We did get talked into splitting a pizza/flatbread. OMG Gorgonzola and grapes on my half. Insanely good. Plus I make a mean chicken parm. It's just not something no matter what the reviews are I would ever order.

That flatbread looks insane! Maybe Pam will share it with me? Hint hint Pam. Michael makes a fabulous chicken parm too and his risotto is to die for. I'm a skeptic when it comes to other risotto. The one we had at CraftSteak was sewage compared to his.

Quote:
Of course you can! I didn't bring any closed toe shoes on either cruise. I love shoes and well, so does Jeff. So I have LOT. Like some you'd all make fun of if you saw me wear in WDW. LOL. Serious killer heels (stacked heel sandals, wedges, peep toe strappy sandals with skinny heels, you name it) and it can be hard to pick which ones I want but I do try to minimize. No matter what though, the heel alone takes up a chunk of space and wedges are worse. I do have some darling sparkly gemstone covered thong flat sandals that are my go to Palo brunch shoes.

Gemstone flats sound darling. I have some wedges which I actually find comfortable. It's the thin heels I don't care for.

Quote:
2-3 pairs of flips, 1-2 pairs of dressy sandals and you should be fine. Tennis shoes if you think you'll need them based on excursions or wanting to work out. I always pack more flips and cute flat sandals, and heels than I "need" as I can't decide. LOL! It's really bad. I would advocate for more than one dressier shoe/sandal just in case one bugs your feet so you have options.
Our excursions are beach days. I am so lazy on vacation. I may or not try the gym on board. I should but don;t know if I will. I read there is a deck to walk on which sounds nice.

Quote:
My sundresses are pretty casual. Hang by the lake casual, stroll around town, sit on the deck. Work with flip flops or a cute flat sandals or very low heels or a casual wedge/espadrille. I wear them a lot in the summer and lived in them on our trip that included the 4 night Dream cruise. I'll be bringing several in Sept, they are my alternative to shorts! Plus they don't take up much space.

I like dresses too as an alternative to shorts. I love capris though. I've got two really nice pair, nicer than some of my sundresses.

Quote:
But I wore them for MDR dinner, not "dressy" night which I would equate to semi formal on the 7 nighters. I think you will see a TON of variety and at the end of the day, wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in. I wore this for "dressy" night on the dream. I think I actually wore it for Palo Brunch on the Wonder as well. I have no idea what I will bring for Sept for semi formal, this may or may not come. I love the back of it (it's an open lattice back, very cool) but it does look a little sack like on me. Although unless I get cracking it looks less sack like at the moment than it it did here! seriously I have been eating non stop since thanksgiving and both the scale and tape measure validated that this week. I don't have a pic of what I wore on the Wonder for semi formal, we tried to get some and they turned out SO bad it was insane. At the time I loved my dress but wow, talk about a sack. Jeff hated it. HATED it.

You always look SO great and out together but never over the top. Nice style. It looks nothing like a sack silly woman!

Quote:
And this for "formal" night on the Wonder. Formal to me is more of a cocktail dress but you'll see some folks in gowns and tuxes and suits. We didn't go that far obviously. You can't see much of the dress in the pic but it's a basic little black dress...with pockets! For that I have some open toe patent black heels that I pretty much wear with a lot of things. I have 2 other ones and will likely bring one of those 2 for Sept. Either a very simple black leather sleeveless dress, just really a classic shift but it is smokin hot due to the fabric which is butter soft or another black one I love that has these super fun cap sleeves that have some metal studs. Both are kind of rocker chick but simple and elegant at the same time. As for shoes, on that I don't know...too many to pick from.

This I love! Perfect! Can you be my personal shopper?

Quote:
Of course I don't have any Palo pics which always bums me out as those are my favorite outfits and dresses, I do tend to go on the dressier side there but you will see a variety as well. For that I think of something I'd wear to a swanky wedding but not necessarily a little black dress. But that's me and I like to dress up. A BR wrap dress would be perfectly fine too. For me, I wear that kind of thing a lot for work...so it makes me think of work. Great go to dresses though! I have 2 I love that I'll be bringing on the cruise, a navy halter and a yellow cap sleeve, which is very Jackie O-ish lol. Both are actually satin so it's the fabric that dresses it up more than the dress style per-se and I'll either wear a neutral strappy heel, or white or hmmm now that I think about it I have a new gold pair that might be cool with the navy. LOL! I am likely to bring both dresses, we are hoping for 2 nights at Palo I think.

This is what I wore for brunch at Palo on the Dream, very likely to wear again in Sept. Crappy pic.

LOVE! This is my favorite. That style wouldn;t good on me though at all. I need more supoort on the top if you know what I mean.

Quote:
I was never cold at dining but did often have a slight sweater, scarf or wrap (or in alaska, hoodie) for being on deck in the afternoons and evenings, and in the theater (though again don't recall being cold in the theater or any of the clubs..and I run cold!).

All that said, we ran on the dressier side of things. Not as much as some but certainly more than others as well.

It seems there will be a fair mix of super dressed up to a more casual side even on optional dress up night. I like that. It takes the pressure off for sure. I run cold too. Like I am always cold. M teases me and says I am the only person he knows that gets cold in 70* weather. It's true though. I chill rather easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
The chicken parm is amazing!!!

I hate dressing up so I'm not much help on the packing. I bring too many tshirts too!

Jill in CO

I am going to pack my clothes this weekend. I do have three dresses in mind, two wrap and one strapless. Can't forget my steel bra for the strapless. Those should cover both Palo brunch and dinner and then the optional dress up night. I think I may have a pir of shoes to work well enough for all three.

Oh Pam.......

22 days!!!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #1277
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

BTW, I NEVER wear heels. Can't. After I broke my left little toe in college, I couldn't wear them again. I have flats that I wear for everything formal and those just have to do. You're right, there are plenty of people who don't dress up on the formal nights.

We just ignore them. The thing I found hilarious on the cruise out of Galveston was the number of guys who wore their formal 10 gallon hat with their tuxes!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #1278
rentayenta

Quote:
BTW, I NEVER wear heels. Can't. After I broke my left little toe in college, I couldn't wear them again. I have flats that I wear for everything formal and those just have to do. You're right, there are plenty of people who don't dress up on the formal nights.

We just ignore them. The thing I found hilarious on the cruise out of Galveston was the number of guys who wore their formal 10 gallon hat with their tuxes!

That would have been a sight, the 10 gallons. Everything is bigger in Texas! I'm of the mind set as you are, I don't care what people wear, if they're comfortable, I'm comfortable. In fact, we're getting ready to go out tonight to a martini bar http://www.twigsbistro.com/ and I'm debating between little nude heels or Uugs. Jeans for sure, trying to find a cute top that I won't freeze in. I'm so sick of wearing sweaters.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #1279
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I wished you it on FB but more wishes are always a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post

Let me know how the appointment goes, good luck.
I updated on my TR

Quote:

And with so many of you too. How many bags did you end up having?
If memory serves, we each had one, plus a carryon each (kids had their backpacks), plus a bag full of all the booze we carried on, plus another tote full of FE stuff. Not positive on the tote though as I may have just filled up one of the kids backpacks with FE stuff. I am SO glad they've raised the beds. We had no where to put the actual luggage once unpacked on that cruise, it drove me crazy.

Quote:

That flatbread looks insane! Maybe Pam will share it with me? Hint hint Pam. Michael makes a fabulous chicken parm too and his risotto is to die for. I'm a skeptic when it comes to other risotto. The one we had at CraftSteak was sewage compared to his.
That's how I feel about my risotto

Quote:

Gemstone flats sound darling. I have some wedges which I actually find comfortable. It's the thin heels I don't care for.
I do less and less super thin ones, though I do have some

Quote:

Our excursions are beach days. I am so lazy on vacation. I may or not try the gym on board. I should but don;t know if I will. I read there is a deck to walk on which sounds nice.
nothing wrong with that and tennis shoes take up a ton of space. I do like Keens for outdoor activity if I need something sturdier than a flip flop.

Quote:

I like dresses too as an alternative to shorts. I love capris though. I've got two really nice pair, nicer than some of my sundresses.
I like capri's too...though I honestly am OVER the ones I have. Need new ones. I've worn those with a heel or cute sandal or even (gasp) dressy tailored shorts to MDR dinner.

Quote:

You always look SO great and out together but never over the top. Nice style. It looks nothing like a sack silly woman!
Yeah it does, I could hide a 3+ m pregancy or more under it.

Quote:

This I love! Perfect! Can you be my personal shopper?

LOVE! This is my favorite. That style wouldn;t good on me though at all. I need more supoort on the top if you know what I mean.
Concrete strapless. Works wonders. You could pull it off with the right bra, it's the only way I can for sure! The colors aren't really all that great on me but I just love the dress. Tommy Bahama. They make some of the BEST resort dinner wear...if I do get anything new for our cruise (and I do not need a thing mind you) it will be from there, or Athleta.

Quote:

It seems there will be a fair mix of super dressed up to a more casual side even on optional dress up night. I like that. It takes the pressure off for sure. I run cold too. Like I am always cold. M teases me and says I am the only person he knows that gets cold in 70* weather. It's true though. I chill rather easily.
Jeff calls me nanook of the north. I actually took a shrug to Alaska and a very a few scarfs to Florida as they add "just" enough. There will be a fair mix of it all, you will be fine and look fabulous no matter what you bring.

Quote:

[CENTER] I am going to pack my clothes this weekend. I do have three dresses in mind, two wrap and one strapless. Can't forget my steel bra for the strapless. Those should cover both Palo brunch and dinner and then the optional dress up night. I think I may have a pir of shoes to work well enough for all three.
Multipurpose on the shoes really helps save space.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #1280
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I hope the piano bar was fun

I will absolutely split a pizza with you at Palo, they are so good!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #1281
Pinkocto

Quote:
Good. I AM getting to know you. I was going to say, I don't think she likes either. I know this only because I think you're weird since those are two of my favorite flavors! Just kidding on the weird.
Quote:

I knew you'd say that.
I love that you both already knew that!

Quote:

I would never judge what you eat. I promise. I'm far too worried about my calories to worry about yours. On vacation, I eat and drink EVERYTHING and a lot of it.
Thank you

Quote:
Really? I love it. But it also takes a lot to offend or embarrass me.
I absolutely love singing, but I have horrible stage freight.

Quote:

Me either. We can be the comfy casual table.
Cool

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #1282
Pinkocto

20 Days!!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #1283
rentayenta

Quote:
20 Days!!!!

Amazing! We're so close. Our FB group is setting up a private mixology/tasting. Are you interested? If so, I'll add you. Not sure what day but I'll keep you posted here.

It's been a crazy fun filled, calorie laden weekend.

Thank you for the bday wishes Pam and Cynthia.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #1284
rentayenta

19 days!!!

My plans to pack combusted. Too many fun birthday plans to get it all done. I'm thinking of holding off for now as we're going to Vegas for soccer and I hoping I need flip flops and shorts. A girl can dream right? The FEs are all packed though which gives me some sort of accomplishment.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #1285
mrslaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
19 days!!! My plans to pack combusted. Too many fun birthday plans to get it all done. I'm thinking of holding off for now as we're going to Vegas for soccer and I hoping I need flip flops and shorts. A girl can dream right? The FEs are all packed though which gives me some sort of accomplishment.
Yay for finishing your FEs! Now that we have formed this last minute group I am in scramble mode trying to figure it out. Lol. I have SO much packing to do! If it were only DH and I it wouldn't be a big deal but I have to pack all the kids for their trip with their grandparents as well. I even have to pack for the dog. I will be exhausted by the time we leave for Florida. Less than three weeks now!
mrslaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #1286
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaney View Post
Yay for finishing your FEs! Now that we have formed this last minute group I am in scramble mode trying to figure it out. Lol. I have SO much packing to do! If it were only DH and I it wouldn't be a big deal but I have to pack all the kids for their trip with their grandparents as well. I even have to pack for the dog. I will be exhausted by the time we leave for Florida. Less than three weeks now!

We're so close! I'm generally in the same boat you are with regard to packing but because it'll be just DS and myself, I've got lots less stress. But I've guilt just taking DS. It is his bar mitzvah gift and the girls had wonderful gifts as well but it's hard not to feel some form of sadness that they won't be there too. The rationale side of me knows better but the mommy side doesn't.

With just you and your DH, you'll get some wonderful downtime. I hope our mixology class comes to fruition. Have you got anything else planned?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #1287
Pinkocto

Quote:
Amazing! We're so close. Our FB group is setting up a private mixology/tasting. Are you interested? If so, I'll add you. Not sure what day but I'll keep you posted here.

It's been a crazy fun filled, calorie laden weekend.

Thank you for the bday wishes Pam and Cynthia.
Just the thought has me laughing, I'm picturing myself getting tipsy and thats a funny thought. Sure, that would be fun.

Glad you had a fabulous birthday weekend!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #1288
rentayenta

Quote:
Just the thought has me laughing, I'm picturing myself getting tipsy and thats a funny thought. Sure, that would be fun.

Glad you had a fabulous birthday weekend!

Excellent. I'll add you. I need your reservation number and cabin though. If you check our meet thread, Ivy, is cruising concierge and handling the logistics. Super cool, she's renewing her vows in Cozumel. I wish you had Facebook.

As long as we're not tasting tequila or gin, I'll be good. Can't drink either. Bleh!

Last edited by rentayenta; 03-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #1289
Pinkocto

Quote:
19 days!!!

Quote:

My plans to pack combusted. Too many fun birthday plans to get it all done. I'm thinking of holding off for now as we're going to Vegas for soccer and I hoping I need flip flops and shorts. A girl can dream right? The FEs are all packed though which gives me some sort of accomplishment.
Fun birthday plans are the best reason not to pack!

I hope you'll need those warm weather things in Las Vegas

Quote:
Excellent. I'll add you. I need your reservation number and cabin though. If you check our meet thread, Ivy, is cruising concierge and handling the logistics. Super cool, she's renewing her vows in Cozumel. I wish you had Facebook.

As long as we're not tasting tequila or gin, I'll be good. Can't drink either. Bleh!
Thanks so much I sent her a PM with the info. I think it's drinks like mojitos and drinks of the day. I've heard people have great fun at those tastings.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #1290
rentayenta

Quote:

Fun birthday plans are the best reason not to pack!

I hope you'll need those warm weather things in Las Vegas

Thanks so much I sent her a PM with the info. I think it's drinks like mojitos and drinks of the day. I've heard people have great fun at those tastings.

They look super fun. I'm hoping they can give us an option of times to choose from as a group. I emailed Disney and hadn't heard a word. She's concierge and voila, it's s done deal.

It was a great birthday weekend. Lots of food, drink, and family time. I'm so hungry today. Post food coma is hard to shake.

How was your mom's bday trip? Did you get to celebrate with her at all? How are the Mother's Day cruise plans coming?

Have you ever done any of the activities between the show and dinner? I've read there is about an hour in between.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: