Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #1141
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I will have to go look but I can tell you we did MDR for both cruises. On the wonder, in Vancouver, we were off with bags by 10 I think.

On the dream we carried our bags off, and we're definitely not out of the room at 7:30 even if we were supposed to be lol. Even though we carried out bags off the dream it seemed to take forever (I swear we were the last odd the ship!) and then a ridiculous wait for the rental car shuttle. We were only driving to Orlando and we didn't get there until around 1 I think. We did stop once on the way but it took way way way longer than I thought it would. It is more people on the dream but given you are dealing with a non Disney shuttle is five yourself the buffer. If you carry your bags off, you can leave whenever you want.

Seriously though the last day MDR breakfast sucks. Limited menu and not good, crazy crowded with people and luggage and slow stressed servers. I'm not a buffet girl either but....,
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #1142
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
So it definitely takes longer than I'm allowing for. That's what I want to do, enjoy my MDR and my coffee and not stress about the plane.

Who votes for 4:30? Who thinks I'm over thinking it? Whats the Fort Lauderdale airport like? I hate landing at the airport late at night which is what the 4:30 does due to the stop. By late I mean 11 pm but that puts us home about 12:30. Bleh.

I'm a hot mess.
I know exactly what you're thinking. If my first "cruise back" had not been at a port 20 minutes away I would have been a total mess. And if I had a flight after any of my cruises that weren't out of Port Canaveral I would definitely be in a quandary.

Since you're in the second seating you will have to be at the dining room (or out of our stateroom) by 8:15AM, I think that's the time for late seating. They were pretty prompt about getting our food together and to us quickly because the crew knows they need to be ready at noon for a whole new set of passengers to start dining at Parrot Cay and BBB.

Like I said on the cruise out of San Pedro where we did the MDR we were home by 10:45 so we must have had the car loaded and ready to go by 10:20 and that's with me going to the parking lot, getting the car and driving it up to the loading area. If we were dealing with a shuttle we would have been 10-15 minutes earlier out of there, so by 10AM.

If you look at Deck 4 on the ship maps (Cruise Critic is good for maps of the ships), you'll see that the ship debarks from the main area. The line to de bark stretches all the way past the bar, I can't remember what you call it right now, but the one on Deck 4 inbetween the lobby and Parrot Cay. We got in line right about at Parrot Cay around the time that they announced our tags could debark and that was 9:15.

It took us another 20 or so minutes to get through the line and then a while to get through customs. Obviously not that long since we were home in an hour and a half since they told us we could leave the ship and San Pedro is a 20-25 minute drive.

It took us a little longer in Galveston since they had a different sort of set up. Those who needed porters waited in a line for the porters to become available. Once a porter was available he took the family to find the bags, guided them through customs and then helped them to their ground transportation.

Not sure how Miami is set up, but if you two can get your own bags and take them through customs without the aid of a porter, then you might be able to go through faster.

It's been 10 years since I was at the Ft. Lauderdale airport so I have no recollection. We my have even PAID for those flights. GASP! I think they might have been the last flights we actually paid for!
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #1143
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Darn, I can't see it. Want me to email them to you tomorrow?
Thats alright, I'll open them on the computer tonight. I dont want you to go to any trouble. I am getting SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

I had a nightmare about the hotel I picked for pre-cruise. I got there and there was trash everywhere, and the ceiling was falling down. I left with no sleep

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Pinkocto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #1144
Pinkocto

My friend please dont stress yourself. You will have plenty of time to get to the 12:50 flight.

Must be out of the room by 8:00

Breakfast at 8:15, done by 9:00

Get in line and off ship by 10:00

Through customs very quickly and call SAS when you get outside.

To FLL by 11:00-11:30

Its a small airport so no, you wont be able to spend hours there.

If you want more time you can do the buffet earlier than 8:15 and get off the ship earlier. Please dont stress, theres no need to stress.

You can give out tips the night before if you plan on skipping the MDR.

Like people have already mentioned, you can let Disney take your bags the night before and they will be down at customs to collect before you go through. Or you can take them off yourself. If you want to be first off the ship you'll need to keep your bags with you.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14

Last edited by Pinkocto; 02-20-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #1145
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I sailed out of Miami in 2007 and it took forever to get bags. We had to go down and wait for them on conveyor belts instead of the system at PC.

Jill in CO
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #1147
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I will have to go look but I can tell you we did MDR for both cruises. On the wonder, in Vancouver, we were off with bags by 10 I think.

On the dream we carried our bags off, and we're definitely not out of the room at 7:30 even if we were supposed to be lol. Even though we carried out bags off the dream it seemed to take forever (I swear we were the last odd the ship!) and then a ridiculous wait for the rental car shuttle. We were only driving to Orlando and we didn't get there until around 1 I think. We did stop once on the way but it took way way way longer than I thought it would. It is more people on the dream but given you are dealing with a non Disney shuttle is five yourself the buffer. If you carry your bags off, you can leave whenever you want.

Seriously though the last day MDR breakfast sucks. Limited menu and not good, crazy crowded with people and luggage and slow stressed servers. I'm not a buffet girl either but....,

Yeah, I am thinking the buffet might be the way to go. We can keep our bags with us which is actually a better idea because then I'm not lugging around a huge carry on/purse and will have just what's needed for the plane.

And I'd rather leave with the memories of a last wonderful dinner at our MDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I know exactly what you're thinking. If my first "cruise back" had not been at a port 20 minutes away I would have been a total mess. And if I had a flight after any of my cruises that weren't out of Port Canaveral I would definitely be in a quandary.

I knew you'd understand. I am kind of a mess over this.

Quote:
Since you're in the second seating you will have to be at the dining room (or out of our stateroom) by 8:15AM, I think that's the time for late seating. They were pretty prompt about getting our food together and to us quickly because the crew knows they need to be ready at noon for a whole new set of passengers to start dining at Parrot Cay and BBB.

Like I said on the cruise out of San Pedro where we did the MDR we were home by 10:45 so we must have had the car loaded and ready to go by 10:20 and that's with me going to the parking lot, getting the car and driving it up to the loading area. If we were dealing with a shuttle we would have been 10-15 minutes earlier out of there, so by 10AM.

That's good info, thank you. They say Fort Lauderdale airport is 26 miles away. It'll be a Friday morning so traffic may be dicey too.

Quote:
If you look at Deck 4 on the ship maps (Cruise Critic is good for maps of the ships), you'll see that the ship debarks from the main area. The line to de bark stretches all the way past the bar, I can't remember what you call it right now, but the one on Deck 4 inbetween the lobby and Parrot Cay. We got in line right about at Parrot Cay around the time that they announced our tags could debark and that was 9:15.

I will check on Cruise Critic, thanks!

Quote:
It took us another 20 or so minutes to get through the line and then a while to get through customs. Obviously not that long since we were home in an hour and a half since they told us we could leave the ship and San Pedro is a 20-25 minute drive.

Cruising out of San Pedro for you must have been wonderful. It's so close.

Quote:
It took us a little longer in Galveston since they had a different sort of set up. Those who needed porters waited in a line for the porters to become available. Once a porter was available he took the family to find the bags, guided them through customs and then helped them to their ground transportation.

Not sure how Miami is set up, but if you two can get your own bags and take them through customs without the aid of a porter, then you might be able to go through faster.
We shouldn't need help. We'll have two big bags with wheels and whatever purse I've got for the plane. Joshua may have a light backpack with his hand held game stuff but I'm hoping not to overpack.

I am leaning towards just taking my bags off the ship myself and schlepping them to breakfast.

Quote:
It's been 10 years since I was at the Ft. Lauderdale airport so I have no recollection. We my have even PAID for those flights. GASP! I think they might have been the last flights we actually paid for!

I looked last night and it seems very small. Not an airport I'd like to spend time in.

You paid for flight? The horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Thats alright, I'll open them on the computer tonight. I dont want you to go to any trouble. I am getting SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

I had a nightmare about the hotel I picked for pre-cruise. I got there and there was trash everywhere, and the ceiling was falling down. I left with no sleep

You're so funny. I won't get in trouble for scanning and emailing them.

That's a terrible dream. I can get you a room at the Hilton but it's more expensive than yours; less than the published online rate though. Just let me know fairly soon.

Quote:
My friend please dont stress yourself. You will have plenty of time to get to the 12:50 flight.

Must be out of the room by 8:00

Breakfast at 8:15, done by 9:00

Get in line and off ship by 10:00

Through customs very quickly and call SAS when you get outside.

To FLL by 11:00-11:30

Its a small airport so no, you wont be able to spend hours there.

If you want more time you can do the buffet earlier than 8:15 and get off the ship earlier. Please dont stress, theres no need to stress.

You can give out tips the night before if you plan on skipping the MDR.

Like people have already mentioned, you can let Disney take your bags the night before and they will be down at customs to collect before you go through. Or you can take them off yourself. If you want to be first off the ship you'll need to keep your bags with you.

Are you doing the MRD or buffet in the morning? What do you prefer? Do you have them take your bags or let Disney do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I sailed out of Miami in 2007 and it took forever to get bags. We had to go down and wait for them on conveyor belts instead of the system at PC.

Jill in CO

I don't like forever. Do you suggest taking them ourselves?

Quote:
I agree, don't stress! And don't take that 4:30. If you want a buffer just carry your bags off yourself and do the buffet, or ask for first breakfast seating. You have options that aren't spending the entire day at the airport and getting home at midnight

Can you feel my panic? I think that's what we'll do. Tip the night before, take our bags, eat at the buffet, and get off the ship a little early.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #1148
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

If you only have small bags, I would definitely carry your bags off yourself.

Jill in CO
Old 02-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #1149
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
If you only have small bags, I would definitely carry your bags off yourself.

Jill in CO

They won't be super small but easy to roll. Joshua will help.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #1150
rentayenta

Pam, I think my ticker was off again. I'm counting 37 days!!!!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #1151
Pinkocto

37 days is what I've got on the phone countdown too

I've only ever done the MDR for breakfast, I like to be waited on one last time. I let DCL take the big bag the night before, and keep a small rolling carryon for all the stuff I need to keep with me. I don't know how fast they get the bags off the ship so you might want to keep with your plan of keeping your bags with you so you don't have to wait for them.

Thanks for your offer about the hotel, I appreciate that the one I booked is non-refundable so I've got to stick with where I'm at.

I'm going to take a look at those navigators and see where the DVC meet up is.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #1152
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
[CENTER]Yeah, I am thinking the buffet might be the way to go. We can keep our bags with us which is actually a better idea because then I'm not lugging around a huge carry on/purse and will have just what's needed for the plane.
We did not keep our bags with us. We sent the kids to MDR as they really wanted to eat there (and then complained about the food but were glad they went, they just wanted to say goodbye to our servers). Jeff and I finished up packing and then went to the buffet. We left all the bags in the room. After we were done eating we went down to find the kids, couldn't find them, went up to the room, met them, grabbed al lour stuff and went and got in line.

It was SO much better than dragging all our stuff to MDR the first cruise, and that was just our carryons! I am sure we were in the room later than we should have been but it was fine.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #1153
Pinkocto

I found the DVC meeting, it was on day 2 at 9:30 am. Do you want to change the brunch time in case they have the same schedule for our cruise? I haven't checked if there are times available. Totally up to you.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #1154
rentayenta

Quote:
We did not keep our bags with us. We sent the kids to MDR as they really wanted to eat there (and then complained about the food but were glad they went, they just wanted to say goodbye to our servers). Jeff and I finished up packing and then went to the buffet. We left all the bags in the room. After we were done eating we went down to find the kids, couldn't find them, went up to the room, met them, grabbed al lour stuff and went and got in line.

It was SO much better than dragging all our stuff to MDR the first cruise, and that was just our carryons! I am sure we were in the room later than we should have been but it was fine.
I read we can't go back to the room in the morning? I'm glad Thats not true. So I don't have to schlep my bags? I'm guessing if we hit the buffet early enough, technically it's still our room. Did you do late or early dining? We're late.

Quote:
I found the DVC meeting, it was on day 2 at 9:30 am. Do you want to change the brunch time in case they have the same schedule for our cruise? I haven't checked if there are times available. Totally up to you.

No, it's not that important to me. Just curious what they do there. I'd way rather do Palo brunch. Crossing my fingers that Joshua wants to hang in the club but I have a feeling he won't mind regardless. He's old enough to watch TV in the Cain if he wants. If brunch doesn't work, he'll be solid by dinner. He's loving the Navigators.

My FE gifts shipped today, hope they are good.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #1155
rentayenta

I can't believe we leave in 5 weeks from tomorrow! I don't have the words to express how stoked I am to take my first Disney Cruise.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: