Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #1126
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

A bloody mary, a mimosa, even a tequila sunrise...those are breakfast drinks. Not opposed to an all day vacation light buzz.

Beer?

No.

Noon. Maybe 11.

Tops.

So the 11:35 is the return? what are they saying is earliest departure, 11:30? That's what ours says but yeah, 4:30 means killing a lot of time. They do boot you off the ship pretty fast but 11:30 could be tight depending
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #1127
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
A bloody mary, a mimosa, even a tequila sunrise...those are breakfast drinks.

Beer?

No.

So the 11:35 is the return? what are they saying is earliest departure, 11:30? That's what ours says but yeah, 4:30 means killing a lot of time. They do boot you off the ship pretty fast but 11:30 could be tight depending

Red beer? Just give it a whirl.

Yes, the cheaper return is at 11:35 and here's my thinking......off the ship at nine, ride to Miami 45-60 minutes depending on what time SAS shows up. That puts us at the airport at 10:00. When do we go through customs? I have Global Traveler but Joshua doesn't so we're stuck waiting in line. 11:35 would stress me out.

If I knew for sure our friends would be in town, we'd spend the day with them and take the 4:30 but she's a super model and he's Michael's business art we and their schedules are even worse than ours by a lot.

I think I'm going to forgo the savings of the $95 and the points and just stick with our 12:50. Less stress for me.

Lame?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #1128
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Not lame. I might even stress over the 12:50. I like to be at the airport super early. Personally I'd take the 4:30, but then what do you do with your luggage so 12:50 is good. They really do hurry you off the ship.

You clear customs before you exit the terminal. In Galveston we were on the shuttle by 9:30. In San Pedro we were home by 10:45 AM
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #1129
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Not lame. I might even stress over the 12:50. I like to be at the airport super early. Personally I'd take the 4:30, but then what do you do with your luggage so 12:50 is good. They really do hurry you off the ship.

You clear customs before you exit the terminal. In Galveston we were on the shuttle by 9:30. In San Pedro we were home by 10:45 AM

I'm an early to the airport person too. I like longer layovers too. Time to deplane, pee, eat.....

We have late dining so that gives us late breakfast. Will they freak if we disembark between 8:30-9:00? Do you go to the last breakfast? I've read that some folks hit the buffet and skip it.

The 11:30 is out. I'd love the 4:30 but you're right, what would we do with our luggage and what would we actually do all day beside spend our $95 savings which comes in the form of a SW voucher not cash back anyway? It just seems swatted up not to take the cheaper flight.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #1130
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I'm an early to the airport person too. I like longer layovers too. Time to deplane, pee, eat.....

We have late dining so that gives us late breakfast. Will they freak if we disembark between 8:30-9:00? Do you go to the last breakfast? I've read that some folks hit the buffet and skip it.

The 11:30 is out. I'd love the 4:30 but you're right, what would we do with our luggage and what would we actually do all day beside spend our $95 savings which comes in the form of a SW voucher not cash back anyway? It just seems swatted up not to take the cheaper flight.
On our Wonder Cruise we did the MDR, on the Magic we did the buffet. They had a really nice breakfast in the MDR and since we didn't have a flight or anything I wanted to milk the cruise for all it was worth. We had Belgian Waffles, pancakes, lots of bacon, and it was really good. At the buffet, I think we ate like birds, some fruit, bacon, toast and cereal and got off the ship as quick as possible. They said our bus would leave at 9:30 and we were stressed that we wouldn't make it, but I'm sure that they would have kept the buses going as long we needed.

I looked back at my 2012 Wonder pictures and Fran was so much skinnier, she looks unhealthy to me in the pictures, but then oh yeah, she was unhealthy. She had that skin thing in her leg on the wound. She was really miserable on that cruise. I'm so glad she is feeling better.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #1131
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Red beer? Just give it a whirl.

Yes, the cheaper return is at 11:35 and here's my thinking......off the ship at nine, ride to Miami 45-60 minutes depending on what time SAS shows up. That puts us at the airport at 10:00. When do we go through customs? I have Global Traveler but Joshua doesn't so we're stuck waiting in line. 11:35 would stress me out.

If I knew for sure our friends would be in town, we'd spend the day with them and take the 4:30 but she's a super model and he's Michael's business art we and their schedules are even worse than ours by a lot.

I think I'm going to forgo the savings of the $95 and the points and just stick with our 12:50. Less stress for me.

Lame?
Not lame, no way would I do the 11:35. Security here can take a solid hour and then they have become incredibly strict about being in the boarding area 30 minutes prior and shutting the gate a good 10 min before scheduled departure. I'm with Allison, even the 12:50 might be tight. I'd want to be off the ship earlier than 9 personally with a 12:50 flight to be safe. What is SAS?

If you have the shuttle through DCL I am pretty sure if they know your flight time, they will schedule your shuttle time (and kick you off the ship) in time to make it. Which can move folks to first breakfast instead of 2nd.

4:30 though, that makes for a LONG day.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #1132
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I agree with Alison and Cynthia....I would go with the 12:50. I generally don't care for the last breakfast in the MDRs so I grab something at cabanas and then walk off whenever I'm ready.

Jill in CO
Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #1133
rentayenta

Quote:
On our Wonder Cruise we did the MDR, on the Magic we did the buffet. They had a really nice breakfast in the MDR and since we didn't have a flight or anything I wanted to milk the cruise for all it was worth. We had Belgian Waffles, pancakes, lots of bacon, and it was really good. At the buffet, I think we ate like birds, some fruit, bacon, toast and cereal and got off the ship as quick as possible. They said our bus would leave at 9:30 and we were stressed that we wouldn't make it, but I'm sure that they would have kept the buses going as long we needed.

I looked back at my 2012 Wonder pictures and Fran was so much skinnier, she looks unhealthy to me in the pictures, but then oh yeah, she was unhealthy. She had that skin thing in her leg on the wound. She was really miserable on that cruise. I'm so glad she is feeling better.

You go concierge though right and they allow you to linger. I think they push us peasants off. So MDR over buffet? When do you tip your servers?

I am so glad that Fran is feeling better too. You'll have a fabulous year of trips in 2014!

Quote:
Not lame, no way would I do the 11:35. Security here can take a solid hour and then they have become incredibly strict about being in the boarding area 30 minutes prior and shutting the gate a good 10 min before scheduled departure. I'm with Allison, even the 12:50 might be tight. I'd want to be off the ship earlier than 9 personally with a 12:50 flight to be safe. What is SAS?

If you have the shuttle through DCL I am pretty sure if they know your flight time, they will schedule your shuttle time (and kick you off the ship) in time to make it. Which can move folks to first breakfast instead of 2nd.

4:30 though, that makes for a LONG day.

SAS is a shuttle company. I don't think we can use Disney transportation to Fort Lauderdale airport, only Miami and we're flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale. Even with the price of the shuttle is was less expensive. You think 12:50 is pushing it? I figure we'll be off the ship by 9:00, on the shuttle by 9:30, to Fort lauderdale by 10:30 as it's only 26 miles away. That gives us just over 2 hours until flight time. Disney says no earlier than 11:30 out of Miami so I am guessing no earlier than 12:30 should suffice for Fort Lauderdale.

I'm kind of stressing.

4:30 would give us hours to kill.

I know I asked and cannot find the answer but when do we go through customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I agree with Alison and Cynthia....I would go with the 12:50. I generally don't care for the last breakfast in the MDRs so I grab something at cabanas and then walk off whenever I'm ready.

Jill in CO

You think we have enough time to get to Fort Lauderdale to make a 12:50 flight? On paper it seems doable but now I'm second guessing.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #1134
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
You go concierge though right and they allow you to linger. I think they push us peasants off. So MDR over buffet? When do you tip your servers? I am so glad that Fran is feeling better too. You'll have a fabulous year of trips in 2014! SAS is a shuttle company. I don't think we can use Disney transportation to Fort Lauderdale airport, only Miami and we're flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale. Even with the price of the shuttle is was less expensive. You think 12:50 is pushing it? I figure we'll be off the ship by 9:00, on the shuttle by 9:30, to Fort lauderdale by 10:30 as it's only 26 miles away. That gives us just over 2 hours until flight time. Disney says no earlier than 11:30 out of Miami so I am guessing no earlier than 12:30 should suffice for Fort Lauderdale. I'm kind of stressing. 4:30 would give us hours to kill. I know I asked and cannot find the answer but when do we go through customs? You think we have enough time to get to Fort Lauderdale to make a 12:50 flight? On paper it seems doable but now I'm second guessing.
I'm with Jill, skip the sit down breakfast, it's lousy on the last day. Hit beach blanket (or is it cabanas?) grab a bite and get off a bit earlier to take a slightly earlier shuttle. I think what you may underestimate is how long it can take to get off , get your bags and then wait for a shuttle.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #1135
franandaj

Quote:
You go concierge though right and they allow you to linger. I think they push us peasants off. So MDR over buffet? When do you tip your servers?

I am so glad that Fran is feeling better too. You'll have a fabulous year of trips in 2014!
We only went concierge that one trip from San Pedro. All the rest are regular. We didn't get that much more than ordering room service the night before would provide from Concierge other than a giant room and going in a HA room, it's pretty big as it is.

We tipped our servers on the last night. Without a timetable, I would do MDR, with a timetable I would do the buffet.

Quote:

I know I asked and cannot find the answer but when do we go through customs?

I think I've said it now twice and this is the third time. You go through customs before you even leave the cruise terminal. Not trying to be nag, just remember typing it several times, too tired to go back and look for it!

You think we have enough time to get to Fort Lauderdale to make a 12:50 flight? On paper it seems doable but now I'm second guessing.
On paper it sounds doable, I'm trying to think about how our Galveston Cruise went. It was about an hour or so back to the airport, and I'm guessing we made it by 11:00 ish. I know that we were having lunch at the café near our hotel somewhere after noon and that was after stopping at Goodwill to buy a suitcase and picking up our rental car. You will probably be OK, but I would ask for the early exit tags and go to the buffet.

They give you tags which "time" your baggage for when you leave the ship. There is also an option to carry your baggage off the ship yourself, but I think you have to leave by 7:30AM for this to be viable. I believe the buffet opens at 6:00AM so you could get breakfast and walk off the ships with your bags by 7:30AM, there would be no problems making your flight. However I think if you miss it you are deep doo doo.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #1136
rentayenta

Quote:
I'm with Jill, skip the sit down breakfast, it's lousy on the last day. Hit beach blanket (or is it cabanas?) grab a bite and get off a bit earlier to take a slightly earlier shuttle. I think what you may underestimate is how long it can take to get off , get your bags and then wait for a shuttle.

That's good insight. I think I told my shuttle people our flight time so I'll call them and tell them it's earlier. So if we're off by 8:30, you think we'll be good? You're right, I'm thinking we just leave the ship like on a port excursion day but that's not the case.

I'm such a newbie.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #1137
rentayenta

Quote:
We only went concierge that one trip from San Pedro. All the rest are regular. We didn't get that much more than ordering room service the night before would provide from Concierge other than a giant room and going in a HA room, it's pretty big as it is.
Okay, cool. Did you feel rushed in the morning?

Quote:
We tipped our servers on the last night. Without a timetable, I would do MDR, with a timetable I would do the buffet.
Hmmm......I'm liking the idea of the MDR. I don't love buffets....the 4:30 is looking better and better. If we've got nothing but time, I'll be way less stressed. If we're though customs, at the airport, and had time to take the early flight, I'll be pissed at myself for changing.

Quote:
On paper it sounds doable, I'm trying to think about how our Galveston Cruise went. It was about an hour or so back to the airport, and I'm guessing we made it by 11:00 ish. I know that we were having lunch at the café near our hotel somewhere after noon and that was after stopping at Goodwill to buy a suitcase and picking up our rental car. You will probably be OK, but I would ask for the early exit tags and go to the buffet.
What are exit tags? Thank you for walking through this with me. That's what I'm thinking now that Cynthia pointed out my under estimating getting out of the port and on to the shuttle.

Quote:
They give you tags which "time" your baggage for when you leave the ship. There is also an option to carry your baggage off the ship yourself, but I think you have to leave by 7:30AM for this to be viable. I believe the buffet opens at 6:00AM so you could get breakfast and walk off the ships with your bags by 7:30AM, there would be no problems making your flight. However I think if you miss it you are deep doo doo.
Guess I should have read further. You have to leave by 7:30 to carry your bags off? Where do they take your bags the night before and where do you pick them up? What are the bags being *timed* for?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #1138
franandaj

Quote:
That's good insight. I think I told my shuttle people our flight time so I'll call them and tell them it's earlier. So if we're off by 8:30, you think we'll be good? You're right, I'm thinking we just leave the ship like on a port excursion day but that's not the case.

I'm such a newbie.
You might need to request early tags. They announce debarking groups. On all of our cruises, we have not been too concerned about how late we get off except the last one, but once they clear the port they start announcing groups. Like I said the first one to go is the ones who are carrying their own luggage off the ship, then they start, Blue Goofy....Green Donald....Purple Minnie...Red Mickey....Don't hold me on the colors, but I remember on our Concierge Cruise our guy tried to give us tags to get off the ship earlier, and I was thinking, "why would I want to end this any sooner than humanly possible?" All we had to do was drive across the bridge to get home! We had Red Mickey and it must have been almost 9:15 before they called our tag. I was happy just enjoying our breakfast, the coffee and being in Animator's Palate one last time. We got in line for debarkation about 20 minutes after they called our tags as ready to leave the ship. We still had a line to wait in to get off the ship.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #1139
rentayenta

Quote:
You might need to request early tags. They announce debarking groups. On all of our cruises, we have not been too concerned about how late we get off except the last one, but once they clear the port they start announcing groups. Like I said the first one to go is the ones who are carrying their own luggage off the ship, then they start, Blue Goofy....Green Donald....Purple Minnie...Red Mickey....Don't hold me on the colors, but I remember on our Concierge Cruise our guy tried to give us tags to get off the ship earlier, and I was thinking, "why would I want to end this any sooner than humanly possible?" All we had to do was drive across the bridge to get home! We had Red Mickey and it must have been almost 9:15 before they called our tag. I was happy just enjoying our breakfast, the coffee and being in Animator's Palate one last time. We got in line for debarkation about 20 minutes after they called our tags as ready to leave the ship. We still had a line to wait in to get off the ship.

So it definitely takes longer than I'm allowing for. That's what I want to do, enjoy my MDR and my coffee and not stress about the plane.

Who votes for 4:30? Who thinks I'm over thinking it? Whats the Fort Lauderdale airport like? I hate landing at the airport late at night which is what the 4:30 does due to the stop. By late I mean 11 pm but that puts us home about 12:30. Bleh.

I'm a hot mess.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #1140
rentayenta

Checked out the Fort Lauderdale airport and it looks similar to SLC. I definitely couldn't spend hours there........going to text our friend tomorrow and see if they'll think they'll be in town and go from there. I need a Xanax.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: