Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #991
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I hear ya! I've questioned my sanity with this cruise more than once!

Jill in CO
Seriously, I was looking at numbers yesterday and going...no way. Then I went to the website to see what today's prices were...looked at that itinerary again and went...oh man...I REALLY REALLY want to go!

Now to figure out how to pay for it The good news, and this is terrible of me, is that I figured out this morning that the 4 camps I thought I'd be sending the E's to...will likely only be 2 as 2 of them overlap other things.

Darn.

There's $700 right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
College tuition? I'm in denial.

OMG it is BRUTAL.

I really really REALLY hope K can score some additional funds.

Quote:
I really hope you get to take the cruise. What a fun adult only trip. I need to decide what I want to book on board. I want to take advantage of the discount as well as put down less of a deposit. I was going to do that whole dummy booking but that doesn't seem to be a viable option anymore.

Gosh, Disney April and May. You're living life right!
And August and then maybe the cruise. LOL! It was SO not planned to be so much in a year, it's a little much even for me!

Not that I want to give anything up but oh, 2015 is going to be VERY light on vacations (at least in comparison).

Quote:
I hated Sid in the movie, I can't imagine him worse. That laugh......

She was creepy. Very good at her job I guess.

Quote:
I'm excited for late dining too. Joshua might not be because his buddies won't be late but I read the counselors come grab the kids in the dining room before the fun begins.
Couple of things here. I wouldn't assume his buddies won't be late. Generally speaking families with little kids do first dining, his are likely not to fall into that category. Two I can't recall on either cruise a counselor grabbing anyone. At his age the kids check themselves in, if and when they want. It will really depend on the mix of kids you get as to what he will like or not like. Best thing is for him to go asap on day one. Of the 3 kids, only K loved the clubs and that was the teen one. But...the E's aren't into basketball and were just a little off on the age demographics on both cruises. Plus had each other so that made it easy to opt out. The E's felt that the tween one really catered to the younger age of that range but I have a feeling it really varies by cruise just depending on who is there. I think on the Alaska cruise they'd have liked it, had they started on day 1 and met some kids but they ended up being such buddies with our tablemates that between that and each other, they were fine. On that note, unless you requested a table for just the 2 of you, it is likely you'll be paired with a family that has kids his age. Happened to us both times (though on the 2nd one I requested they gear it towards K's age). You can also call and request it.

Quote:
Joshua scares easily. If I sing the Freddy Kruger song, he won't sleep alone for a week.
she who warms the towels sings the Freddy Kruger song. You crack me up!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #992
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I still have my cabin booked for 2 people. I'll eventually drop one so at least it will lower my bill by the cost of 1 person's taxes.

It is an awesome itinerary! I can't wait to go. I'm at least going to be able to swing free airfare..thanks SW!

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #993
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I still have my cabin booked for 2 people. I'll eventually drop one so at least it will lower my bill by the cost of 1 person's taxes.

It is an awesome itinerary! I can't wait to go. I'm at least going to be able to swing free airfare..thanks SW!

Jill in CO
SW flies to San Juan????
Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #994
jedijill

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
SW flies to San Juan????
Yep!

Jill in CO
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #995
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Seriously, I was looking at numbers yesterday and going...no way. Then I went to the website to see what today's prices were...looked at that itinerary again and went...oh man...I REALLY REALLY want to go!
Are the prices good?

Quote:
Now to figure out how to pay for it The good news, and this is terrible of me, is that I figured out this morning that the 4 camps I thought I'd be sending the E's to...will likely only be 2 as 2 of them overlap other things.
That's the only thing that saves us this year, no camp for Gabby. This is the year that kids skip camp and go to Israel. Gabby isn't going. She's waiting until she, Chloe, and Joshua are all 18 and then we're all going. They'll go for free through BirthRight. Anyway no camp for her. She's got a nanny gig this summer in Oregon.

Quote:
OMG it is BRUTAL.

I really really REALLY hope K can score some additional funds.
I barf a little when I think about it.

Quote:
And August and then maybe the cruise. LOL! It was SO not planned to be so much in a year, it's a little much even for me!

Not that I want to give anything up but oh, 2015 is going to be VERY light on vacations (at least in comparison).
That is a lot of trips friend! What are you 2015 plans? Aulani? I want to go there so bad! I also want to get Michael and the kids on a Disney Cruise to Alaska. I have half a chance with the Alaska bone.

Quote:
Couple of things here. I wouldn't assume his buddies won't be late. Generally speaking families with little kids do first dining, his are likely not to fall into that category. Two I can't recall on either cruise a counselor grabbing anyone. At his age the kids check themselves in, if and when they want. It will really depend on the mix of kids you get as to what he will like or not like. Best thing is for him to go asap on day one. Of the 3 kids, only K loved the clubs and that was the teen one. But...the E's aren't into basketball and were just a little off on the age demographics on both cruises. Plus had each other so that made it easy to opt out. The E's felt that the tween one really catered to the younger age of that range but I have a feeling it really varies by cruise just depending on who is there. I think on the Alaska cruise they'd have liked it, had they started on day 1 and met some kids but they ended up being such buddies with our tablemates that between that and each other, they were fine. On that note, unless you requested a table for just the 2 of you, it is likely you'll be paired with a family that has kids his age. Happened to us both times (though on the 2nd one I requested they gear it towards K's age). You can also call and request it.
The folks from our FB group have kids his age but with younger siblings so we'll see. If Joshua had one of the girls going, they'd totally ditch me. There is a boy in our FB group who is 11 who loves MineCraft. I want to get to know the mom a little better and then suggest they become MineCraft friends. I guess there's a way to all play together.

Pam will be dining with us so I don't know if we'll get a big table or not. How large are the tables? Maybe I'll call. I really don't want to sit with little little kids though.

I'm afraid Joshua will think that about his club, it's 11-14. He's 12 but a really mature 12. he loves to have fun but he's so smart. I guess he likes fart humor too so hopefully he'll be good.

Quote:
she who warms the towels sings the Freddy Kruger song. You crack me up!

I'm varied in my composition. Seriously I can't even hum it. He didn't go into the basement for a month when the girls did the OUIJA board.

Quote:

Jill in CO

Is there a basic room rate for the room and then they keep adding up as the number of people increase?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #996
jedijill

Quote:
Are the prices good?

That's the only thing that saves us this year, no camp for Gabby. This is the year that kids skip camp and go to Israel. Gabby isn't going. She's waiting until she, Chloe, and Joshua are all 18 and then we're all going. They'll go for free through BirthRight. Anyway no camp for her. She's got a nanny gig this summer in Oregon.

That is a lot of trips friend! What are you 2015 plans? Aulani? I want to go there so bad! I also want to get Michael and the kids on a Disney Cruise to Alaska. I have half a chance with the Alaska bone.

The folks from our FB group have kids his age but with younger siblings so we'll see. If Joshua had one of the girls going, they'd totally ditch me. There is a boy in our FB group who is 11 who loves MineCraft. I want to get to know the mom a little better and then suggest they become MineCraft friends. I guess there's a way to all play together.

Pam will be dining with us so I don't know if we'll get a big table or not. How large are the tables? Maybe I'll call. I really don't want to sit with little little kids though.

I'm afraid Joshua will think that about his club, it's 11-14. He's 12 but a really mature 12. he loves to have fun but he's so smart. I guess he likes fart humor too so hopefully he'll be good.

I'm varied in my composition. Seriously I can't even hum it. He didn't go into the basement for a month when the girls did the OUIJA board.

Is there a basic room rate for the room and then they keep adding up as the number of people increase?
That's awesome that all 3 kids will go to Israel together.

I have to pay the single supplement which is now 200%. So, when I originally booked I added a phantom 2nd person to lock in the day 1 rates in case I found someone that wanted to go with me.

Jill in CO
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #997
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Hey girlie! Just caught up on your Mexico plans- they sound WONDERFUL!! I love Mexico too, I am headed there in 6 days on a girls trip to celebrate 2 friends turning 50. Very different from a sleepy little fishing village, though- we are going to an all-inclusive in Riviera Maya. Anyway- I can't wait to hear about your side of Mexico- the fishing thing would be especially attractive to one of my friends and her son.

And I wholeheartedly agree- UNITED SUCKS! They have taken over our Newark airport and have such a monopoly they are charging whatever they want to for EVERYTHING. A year ago a flight to Orlando was $250...the year before that it was $200, now if I want to ever fly in the morning to have a day instead of just a night I will be paying over $400. The best that is available is $332 and that's going at 5:25 at night. I freakin HATE that airline!

I wanted to also add- you will LOVE the Rainforest room- it is so relaxing, I went 2x on this last cruise. And it is a big bargain. On some cruise lines they charge double what Disney does for a day pass, and they restrict it to only port days unless you book the full week.

Also Palo is really, really good. I haven't had dinner there in a while (fully plan to on the next 2 cruises) but we did have brunch on this last cruise and it was sosososososoooooo yum!!!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #998
rentayenta

Quote:
That's awesome that all 3 kids will go to Israel together.

I have to pay the single supplement which is now 200%. So, when I originally booked I added a phantom 2nd person to lock in the day 1 rates in case I found someone that wanted to go with me.

Jill in CO

I know, right? I'm excited for them. Of course things can change in 6 years but as of now they're all on board.

Ok, that makes sense. Is anyone going or have you decided to go solo? A Disney Cruise is one vacation that I think I could totally handle and have a blast at alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hey girlie! Just caught up on your Mexico plans- they sound WONDERFUL!! I love Mexico too, I am headed there in 6 days on a girls trip to celebrate 2 friends turning 50. Very different from a sleepy little fishing village, though- we are going to an all-inclusive in Riviera Maya. Anyway- I can't wait to hear about your side of Mexico- the fishing thing would be especially attractive to one of my friends and her son. [

My side of Mexcio is vastly diff than yours. No AI's in Zihua. There are in Ixtapa which is about 7 miles away but not one in Zihua Bay that I'm aware of. I'm not a big AI person but understand how people are. We've got massages on the beach, sunset cruise, and fishing for the boys planned as well as a few other things I'll post about below.

Quote:
And I wholeheartedly agree- UNITED SUCKS! They have taken over our Newark airport and have such a monopoly they are charging whatever they want to for EVERYTHING. A year ago a flight to Orlando was $250...the year before that it was $200, now if I want to ever fly in the morning to have a day instead of just a night I will be paying over $400. The best that is available is $332 and that's going at 5:25 at night. I freakin HATE that airline!

Likewise on all counts. Unfortunately we have little choice, like you, they've pretty much got a monopoly. Michael is flying home today from Miami and thus far everything has been good. On time to Miami, on time from Ohare (I first wrote 'Ohana- ), and you can't beat the free wine in the Untied Club.

Quote:
I wanted to also add- you will LOVE the Rainforest room- it is so relaxing, I went 2x on this last cruise. And it is a big bargain. On some cruise lines they charge double what Disney does for a day pass, and they restrict it to only port days unless you book the full week.

I'm so looking forward to it. Lots will depend on Joshua's friend status. What do you like in the Rainforest Room?

Quote:
Also Palo is really, really good. I haven't had dinner there in a while (fully plan to on the next 2 cruises) but we did have brunch on this last cruise and it was sosososososoooooo yum!!!
Pam and I have dinner and brunch planned. So you've got Alaska in summer and where in October? Lucky lucky girl.

I have to be a honest here, I am a little worried about the food, aside from Palo, on the cruise. I was reading a food heavy report and like 3/4 of the dishes didn't sound or look great. I'm not picky at all and read how people rave about the food but I have a feeling I may be eating at steak every meal. Tell me what you guys LOVE!

So a few little Mexico updates:

I spoke with the condo owner and he granted us a late check out. All of Dec through April are booked except one teeny tiny day which happens to be the day we leave allowing us a late check out. Our flight doesn't leave until 4:00 and as you can imagine, the airport is not huge. If we check out by 1:30 we should have more than enough time.

I booked a sunset cruise with http://www.juliostours.com/index.html I have a flyer that's much better than the site, way more detail. Anyway, we're going with our friends and another couple I met on the Zihua boards. Should be a great time.

We've also got reservations at Kau-Kan. http://www.casakaukan.com/kaukan/ We generally don't do many dressy meals in Mexico, preferring the local cheap fare, but I think this will be great for a more dressed up night; dressed up meaning not wearing my bikini under my clothes.

And on a funny note, this morning I received my Disney Cruise wake up call from our canceled cruise. I scheduled it when I booked the cruise. I guess Disney didn't cancel the calls when they canceled the cruise. Ouch!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #999
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Are the prices good?
Good is relative, right? If I were booking it today it's a solid $1100 more than when I booked it originally. Ouch! For a Disney cruise, given the time of year it's not horrible, at least not compared to summer rates which is what we've had to pay before.

Quote:
So very cool on so many levels!

Quote:

tell me about it!

Quote:
Yes, I am hoping for Aulani for Spring Break 2015. I'd originally wanted it Presidents week as it's less points but with the current point charts and where our break falls next year it's not the brutal spread I thought it would be. realistically I need it to be spring to be able to buy the flights, otherwise it's just too close to our cruise. I am also hoping for F&W 2015 with Mary Ellen. 2016 will be Ireland for the boys band trips so we will be taking a break from Disney and letting our points recover! I do want to do another WDW trip with them, and another cruise before Evan graduates though so we will have to see how that all plays out. It could end up being one giant trip and might have to be summer after he graduates. We will see.

Quote:

None of our kids really ended up hanging with anyone from the DIS or FB groups, just be prepared that he may meet someone totally different once there either in the club or at your table or who knows.

Quote:
I think tables can set up to 8. You can request not to be seated with anyone else, they have them for smaller groups as well and you can certainly request no little kids. You can also request a dining rotation if you have a preference.

Quote:
I think Eric would have been fine without Evan there. Who knows for sure but I felt like neither of them tried because it was easy not to. Kendall LOVED it.

Quote:
poor guy!

Quote:
My side of Mexcio is vastly diff than yours. No AI's in Zihua. There are in Ixtapa which is about 7 miles away but not one in Zihua Bay that I'm aware of. I'm not a big AI person but understand how people are. We've got massages on the beach, sunset cruise, and fishing for the boys planned as well as a few other things I'll post about below.

Likewise on all counts. Unfortunately we have little choice, like you, they've pretty much got a monopoly. Michael is flying home today from Miami and thus far everything has been good. On time to Miami, on time from Ohare (I first wrote 'Ohana- ), and you can't beat the free wine in the Untied Club.
United bites. It used to be wonderful but it's a nightmare. It took my sister 37 hours to get home from Orlando. I'm not big on AI either but oh, mexico, sun, drinks, food and all of it sound so lovely. Especially massages on the beach!

Quote:
I have to be a honest here, I am a little worried about the food, aside from Palo, on the cruise. I was reading a food heavy report and like 3/4 of the dishes didn't sound or look great. I'm not picky at all and read how people rave about the food but I have a feeling I may be eating at steak every meal. Tell me what you guys LOVE!
There is a huge variety to choose from so I do think it depends on what you order and it is a new menu each night. I have generally been very very pleased with the food, especially at dinner on both our cruises. The breakfast buffet doesn't overwhelm me but it's ok, nothing bad but not knock your socks of either. Lunch was a bit hit or miss. In general I don't like buffets but they seem to do a pretty decent lunch one and then of course there is lots of counter service options but for me, those got old after a few days. Add in Palo brunch and a dinner into your mix and you will be fine. Palo is the bomb!

Quote:
And on a funny note, this morning I received my Disney Cruise wake up call from our canceled cruise. I scheduled it when I booked the cruise. I guess Disney didn't cancel the calls when they canceled the cruise. Ouch!

[/CENTER]
Old 01-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #1000
jedijill

Sailing solo so far. I had hopes for my love life keeping that from happening but I don't think that is going to happen.

Jill in CO
Old 01-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #1001
rentayenta

Quote:
Sailing solo so far. I had hopes for my love life keeping that from happening but I don't think that is going to happen. Jill in CO

I'm a pretty good matchmaker and know folks all over.

Hey Pam:

Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #1002
podsnel

The food is good! I haven't sailed on the Wonder yet, but looking at the menus on another site, I these are some of my favorites- in Animator's, The Black truffle purses are amazing- you can get a dinner portion, just ask- In Parrot Cay, I think the grouper they have is like one they have on the Dream/Fantasy- if it is, it's delicious. In Triton's, the sea bass is great and the lamb shank, also the dessert is THE BEST- the Gran Marnier Souffle- soooo yummm!!! DO NOT get the lobster mac n cheese- it is horrible. Not crazy about the Pirates menu- we went to Remy this time. I think the short ribs are what I liked best from that, if I remember right- If they have a chocolate lava cake that is amazing! You can always order a Mickey bar for dessert at dinner- also from room service even though it's not on the menu. The all hands on deck is a GREAT room service plate to get to have with a glass of wine on the balcony- I get that around 5:30 sometimes to hold us over to late dinner. And their Chicken fingers are really good- I don't normally eat them, but I love them on there....
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #1003
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
The food is good! I haven't sailed on the Wonder yet, but looking at the menus on another site, I these are some of my favorites- in Animator's, The Black truffle purses are amazing- you can get a dinner portion, just ask- In Parrot Cay, I think the grouper they have is like one they have on the Dream/Fantasy- if it is, it's delicious. In Triton's, the sea bass is great and the lamb shank, also the dessert is THE BEST- the Gran Marnier Souffle- soooo yummm!!! DO NOT get the lobster mac n cheese- it is horrible. Not crazy about the Pirates menu- we went to Remy this time. I think the short ribs are what I liked best from that, if I remember right- If they have a chocolate lava cake that is amazing! You can always order a Mickey bar for dessert at dinner- also from room service even though it's not on the menu. The all hands on deck is a GREAT room service plate to get to have with a glass of wine on the balcony- I get that around 5:30 sometimes to hold us over to late dinner. And their Chicken fingers are really good- I don't normally eat them, but I love them on there....
Is that the cheese plate? We love that!!!!!

The fries are horribly good too... Dangerous in the afternoon
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #1004
jedijill

Quote:
Agree with all of the above! The Grand Marnier souffle is really good too! I could eat the chicken fingers the entire cruise!

Jill in CO
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #1005
podsnel

All Hands on Deck (on the Fantasy)

Gran Marnier Souffle-

Chocolate lava cake

Truffle Pursettes (these were not even on the menu for us this time because of NYE- but they brought us TWO FULL PLATES of them one night because I told them I was disappointed we weren't having them this time- our servers ROCKED!)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: