Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Drive the car everywhere including the MK. Getting from the MK parking lot is no where as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. Plus your 3 yr old would probably like traveling by monorail and/or Ferry. The car is way faster and more comfortable. You'll be happy when you can plunk your child safely in the car seat and get a cold drink out of the cooler you have in the trunk. Driving around WDW/LBV is fun and easy. Even if you get lost, just turn around and you will find signs everywhere showing where to go.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

I'd say it depends on where you're staying too .. OKW or POR, I'd want a car; the properties are just way too spread out..
Apart from that, MK is really the only one I wouldn't want to drive to.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We rent a van. we have tried trips and hated it. We feel trapped. Not that we won't grab a disney bus every now and then. But we also run to walmart or target. Anything to save a few $$. Trust me as much money as disney charges for things you can easily pay for a day or two of a rental.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

The waits for the bus/no seat doesn't bother me. In fact, I don't get that someone will complain about a 20-30 minute wait for a bus, but it's no problem waiting an hour or more for an attraction.
'Cause you can't fast-pass the bus
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
theyoungs07
Earning My Ears

Another vote for drive...especially with AAA parking pass! No trams for you :-). I also agree that monorail from MK to the TTC is usually better than cramming on a full bus with multiple stops after closing down the park. I stay offsite these days, so of course I drive.

You could be standing on a crowded bus for 20 minutes, or your little one could fall asleep peacefully in their familiar carseat...
theyoungs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
nedidajohn
Mouseketeer

Car except MK!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Since bus service depends on which resort you're staying in, my answer has to be: It depends.

We stay at value resorts so bus service is frequent -- if we're not going to the parks early, bus is always quicker for us since you have to add the parking tram time to the equation. If you're arriving at RD, either is good.

But for MK, I would never take my car if I didn't have to. It's so much quicker to get dropped off and picked up at the front of the park, and at the end of the night I'd rather wait 10 minutes for a bus than the considerably longer wait for the monorail or ferry, then the parking tram, etc. At park closing, just getting to your car can easily take 30 minutes.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

Agree with posters above who say .....bus only to MK....everywhere else take your car. The one exception to this would be if you are staying at a MK resort and can either monorail or boat to the MK rather than bus......
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

With all due respect to the good posters here, I'd like to offer an angle on this I don't think has been entirely addressed. Most of the responses here have been about Park->car, but very little has included info about Resort->Car->Park. That's a HUGE element in the equation in my book.

If, for example, you're staying in Saratoga Springs, you are rolling the dice with the buses. For us, the variability of the buses has proven to be the only real reason we would consider NOT staying there. As we normally get to the parks pretty early, it hasn't been too much of an issue, but for our midday break when we're tired, waiting for the bus is *not* fun while your standing at the bus terminal at the park, especially when you see two, five, or (seemingly) 100 buses for every OTHER resort go by (okay, okay, I exaggerate, but you get the point).

So, the question of driving/busing must consider where you're staying as much as anything else, so there really can't be a universal answer. We did, in fact, drive a couple of times from SSR to Epcot and MK, and realized its not entirely a panacea. There's the walk from the lot to the gate, and if you're a distance out, you may need to wait for a tram (either way). If you're staying at a resort with >1 transport option, eg monorail, bus, boat, the need for a car diminishes greatly IMHO.

And, frankly, there are just times when its nice to just flop on the bus and not worry about driving, esp. when you're the one doing the driving
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
dec2901
Mouseketeer

We will be staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge.
1/2008 POFQ
12/2008 POP
12/2013 Saratoga Springs (Our son's first trip)
10/2014 AofA & AKV Kidani

dec2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #26
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

If staying at AKL the only transportation option you have is bus....and IMO...leaves a lot to be desired. Our last two visits to WDW have been to AKL/Kidani Village.....the last time being mid December 2012 and the time before March, 2011.......in March, 2011 we had a car and used it pretty much all the time.......December, 2012 we did use bus transport several times.....and decided that in the future we will always drive when staying at AKL...either Jambo or Kidani.........simply because of the amount of time wasted traveling by bus.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

We come to WDW a few times per year, sometimes with a car and sometimes without. So I can say with some experience that while a car isn't always necessary, I think you'll regret not having one..

#1. You're asking whether a car is needed, so you're not really ready to plan a car-free trip.

#2. You're staying at AKV, which isn't in the middle of things. When we stay at AKV we always have a car.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
scdak
DIS Veteran

Many, many trips to the world off site so I always had to drive, 3 trips onsite in the past 3 years - 2 of them we used Disney transportation, last trip was Nov 2012 and we drove and I don't care if I set a foot on a Disney bus ever again! We never spent more than 10 minutes driving to any park from POFQ, parking was never a problem and we always were in the parks in far less time than the previous 2 trips using the buses. We went to almost all of the deluxe resorts for meals and we didn't have to leave 1-1 1/2 hours in advance to make the reservations like Disney suggests when taking their buses. It was a so much nicer to have a place to sit, to not be crammed onto buses with far more people than should have been on there! This is the first trip in 3 years that I didn't have bruises on my legs and feet due to being stepped on, kicked or beaten to death with overgrown strollers because I was on a bus.
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

If I plan to go to Universal, Sea World, Busch, I get a car. If I am just doing Disney I ride the bus!
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #30
TamaraQT
Mouseketeer

Car vs Bus

This July will be my first time onsite. We are staying at AoA. I am looking forward to it. However, I am only at Disney for 3 nights. I will be offsite for 7 nites afterwards, so we will have a rental car. We decided to try the buses and use our car too. I have a feeling the car will be faster. We are already used to parking and using the tram. I think the stops between one destination and another is going to make the difference, but we will see. I am looking forward to making the comparison. I appreciate everyones opinions and sharing experiences. It will give me some things to think about.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: