Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #106
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
People who routinely show up late are self-centered and rude.

But people who continue to put up with these flakes have only themselves to blame. If you allow yourselves to be treated poorly, it eventually becomes your fault.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #107
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you are on time, you are on time. If you are late, you are making excuses.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #108
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry but if I'm on time I'm ON TIME, not late.

And to the person that plans on being atleast 15 minutes early for a job interview...don't. 5 minutes early is opitmal. You can get there early, just stay in your car and not go to the interview place until 5 minutes before it's time to be there. It's the same as house and party guests that show up too early...they feel like they need to rearrange their schedule to accomodate you since you are early and could possibly have a negative impact on the interview.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #109
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I'm sorry but if I'm on time I'm ON TIME, not late.
If you're ready to begin the appointed activity at the designated time, then I agree with you. If you're "on time" because you pulled into the parking lot at the designated time, but you've still got to unload your three kids, put soccer cleats on one of them, find a water fountain so you can fill your kid's water bottle, etc. then you're late. I am pretty sure those are the scenarios where "if you're on time, you're late" comes into play.

I think most of us are pretty accommodating for a rare "unforeseen incident" as long as the latecomer is apologetic and does his/her best to minimize the inconvenience to others (calling, etc.)

However, habitual latecomers are very frustrating. And they always have an excuse that seems entirely valid *to them*. Traffic took longer than expected, super busy day, etc. And occasionally one of those things might truly be valid and unforeseen... but most of the time it's either poor time management or a lack of concern that you're leaving others waiting.

SIL often calls to say she's running late 10-15 minutes after we were supposed to meet... and they're still at home, which makes them 45-60 minutes later than the agreed upon time. Even if there are extenuating circumstances, and in her mind, there always are (but mostly it's time management), there's no way she didn't know 30 minutes PRIOR to the appointed time that she was going to be late. Yet she waited to let everyone know till later because she just doesn't care that you're waiting. She's worth it (she thinks), and she hates waiting on others so, in her mind, it's better that you're already there so we can all be ready to go as soon as she's available.

To be fair, my DH is also like that by nature, but he's managed to "fix it." Several times when we were dating, he was over an hour late picking me up for a date. He always claimed "traffic" but a traffic snafu that large would have made the news. About the third time it happened, I said "You promised me dinner. I was hungry, so when you didn't show up, I ate. Good night." I was truly ready to walk away from the relationship at that point because of what I perceived as a lack of respect. He's *never* been more than 5 minutes late for me (without calling) since then and he's only late due to a true unforeseen issue. He *can* do it, if it's important to him. He is *much* better than that now, but I am still the one shooing us out the door while he thinks he has time to finish one more project (or video game race, or to the next commercial break, etc.)

Last edited by design_mom; 02-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #110
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post

And stop thinking everyone else thinks that it is harder for you to be on time than it is for everyone else. It isn't. We don't.

Also, stop thinking that you're so special that everyone else should wait for you and do it happily. You aren't. We won't.
Hey, but maybe those things aren't true. Maybe what's really true is that they don't think you are all that important. Maybe they are trying to tell you something. Maybe you'd do them a favor if you stopped trying to make plans with them.

Just maybe

Obviously there are some people on this thread who have people in their lives who can't get it together and don't care and for them the annoyance is valid. But it's also kind of obvious to me that there are some who are just as guilty of believing that the world revolves around them as those who are late.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #111
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Relevant to this thread, interesting article today: http://t.money.msn.com/now/company-f...ch-late-minute
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #112
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKatie View Post
Relevant to this thread, interesting article today: http://t.money.msn.com/now/company-f...ch-late-minute
So...do they give you $10 for each minute you show up early? I have a hunch that might motivate people even more.

I already know the answer to that would be no.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #113
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
You're contradicting yourself. Either you're 10 minutes early, and thus "on time", according to your "old saying", or you're right on time according to the clock, which is late, according to the "old saying".

Which is why this is a stupid expression. I'm so glad I never heard of it before, and don't believe it's true. Why can't "on time" just be called "on time"?
I heard the saying many times while growing up. It isn't meant to be taken literally. It means you should be prepared. I agree with the PP that used sporting events or classes as examples. If a class starts at 5:00, leave as if you want to arrive 10 minutes early. That will ensure you are there and in your seat ready (notepaper, pencil out, computer open, etc) for class when it is supposed to start at 5:00. If you leave assuming you will arrive at 5:00, then by the time you get settled, you are in fact "late."

Bottom line, it is an expression meaning to give yourself a little extra time if you have a specific start time. For an informal party as a friend's home, the expression doesn't really apply. But when meeting friends for dinner at a set time (maybe you need to locate the restuarant or find parking, etc) or attending class/sports practice, then the saying does apply.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #114
kamik86
DIS Veteran

For the main discussion I am generally early However there are some times/places where people do have to wait for me.

Big example my DH and I have one car. We could afford another one but he doesn't like to drive anyway and rather spend the money on other things. So if I end up with a late meeting at work he is waiting for me. I'm not going to always say I can't because he is waiting.

Small example of the stuff happens. I was late for a customer meeting a few weeks ago becasue it was in the Seattle area and there was an ice storm. No problem I left early. However I forgot one thing... Rental cars don't come with ice scrappers. So it took a while for the car to warm up enough to melt the ice on the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
So...do they give you $10 for each minute you show up early? I have a hunch that might motivate people even more.

I already know the answer to that would be no.
If my company did this one I would be LESS productive. Becasue I would be putting a 15 min buffer on either side of any meetings I had for things I needed to do. So I wouldn't be late but I would be able to have less meetings. currently in my job I can have meetings for 6 hours straight. Sometimes with them double booked and having to choose which ones I really have to show up to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: