Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Mandy923
Earning My Ears

Would you cruise 4 night Dream or 5 night Wonder- Almost same $$

Port Canaveral 4 night Dream or Miami 5 night Wonder?

About the Same money for my family. 3 kids (16, 7, 4)

If we went with Dream- we'd stay at one of the Value resorts at WDW and probably do Magic Kingdom 1 day.

Is the Dream a much better experience? Over the older, smaller Wonder? Anyone know when it is due in for Drydock?
I know Magic goes in Sept.

THanks!
Mandy923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy923 View Post
Port Canaveral 4 night Dream or Miami 5 night Wonder?

About the Same money for my family. 3 kids (16, 7, 4)

If we went with Dream- we'd stay at one of the Value resorts at WDW and probably do Magic Kingdom 1 day.

Is the Dream a much better experience? Over the older, smaller Wonder? Anyone know when it is due in for Drydock?
I know Magic goes in Sept.

THanks!
The Wonder is a year younger than the Magic, so we're assuming the Wonder will have an extensive dry dock next year. If the summer 2014 dates are released next week as rumored, it should give everyone a better idea of when the drydock might be.

Lots of people prefer the smaller ships. The Dream and Fantasy are all high-tech, glitzy, and huge, while the classic ships have a cozy feel.

Also, compare the itineraries. If you'd like to go to WDW, it's more feasible to sail from Port Canaveral.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
ansmom
Earning My Ears

I stuck with the 4 day Dream but only bc we were driving and canaveral was faster to get to than Miami.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
FullAB
Antelope, Ca

We've never been on the Dream (we go on the Fantasy in April) but we have been on the 3 day Bahamas and the 7 day Mexican Riviera both on the Wonder. We love this ship. We are looking forward to our upcoming Fantasy cruise of course, but we are hoping that the ship doesnt seem too big. But trust me, when people say the Wonder is "smaller" or "older"...you wont have that experince at all I assure you. I say go with the extra day. You really cant go wrong.

DCL Wonder Bahamas/WDW Nov2010
DVC member Jul2011 - DCL Wonder Mex Riviera Oct2011
Aulani Feb2012 - VGC Jul2012 - Aulani Oct2012
DCL Fantasy East Carib/Kidani WDW May2013 - VGC Jul2013 - Aulani Oct2013
Aulani Apr2014
FullAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

We have done a 3 night on the Dream and a 5 night on the Magic while it was still sailing from PC. We loved both ships. Both are different, but both are great. I would probably lean towards the Magic because I have been to Nassau more than enough. I wish they would vary the Dream's itinerary some... at least do another Bahamas port or something.

To me, the only other variable would be getting there. If you are flying anyway, it is just a matter of which airport. If you are driving, there will most likely be a distance difference.

It may also depend on the time of year you are going. If you are going in the cooler months, water temps will be much more comfortable for swimming/snorkeling the further south you go. Bahamas and CC will be too cool for me to swim.

Bottom line is, as far as the ships go, you will love both.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I had the same decision this past January and went with the 5 night Wonder and had a great time! I have been on the Magic and the Wonder and I love these ships. They do not feel old or small at all! You will have a great time either way =)

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
hpsalb
Mouseketeer

I've done both ships, although it's been a few years since I was on the Wonder. I love both - Dream is new, but Wonder is a nice size. I like the details in the cabins on the Dream a little better, but most of the cabins on the Wonder are slightly larger (although probably not enough to notice, lol).

I would decide based on travel, itinerary, and how bad my family wanted to go to WDW.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
madqueen
Earning My Ears

five night wonder. The Dream is a slightly better ship, but not better enough to lose a whole night over it!
madqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Been on all of them. I can honestly say that the only time I noticed a size difference was when we delivered FE gifts. The halls are much longer and there are more stairs to climb. With the bigger ships come more people so the crowd size is relative. Castaway Cay definitely is less crowded on with the smaller ships.

It's like a PP said, you will have a great time no matter what. I would take a longer cruise for the same price.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
lmb
DIS Veteran

We've been on the Dream and Wonder and went with the 5 night Wonder for the same price for Spring Break. We like the adult areas better on the Dream (e.g. bar area) but the Aquaduck wasn't that big of a draw since we only do it 1 or 2 times because of the long lines. The 5 night seems like more of a vacation than the 4 night.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
missmdr
Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat and was looking for opinions, too! I hate that I can't make a decision!! I have gone back and forth!
missmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

5-night Wonder hands down. I've been on all four ships & personally, the Dream is my least favorite. Regardless, the extra day would be the deal breaker for us!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Take the 5 night.
4 nights just isn't enough.

The wonder is a beautiful ship, you won't be disappointed.

Have a great time whichever you choose.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
gooftroop22
DIS Veteran

my vote is definitely the 4 night dream! We love the Dream...been onboard twice and will be going again in September! Can't wait!

WDW 2005 - Offiste - FIRST TRIP!
WDW 2007 - CBR - FIRST ONSITE VISIT
WDW 2008 - CSR - Trip with my Sister
WDW 2009/2010 - CBR - Family Trip
WDW 2011/2012 - Disney Dream/OKW
WDW 2013 - SSR - Grad Trip
DCL 2013 - Disney Dream
gooftroop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

5 nights. The longer the better.