Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #91
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Is 90k reasonable? Possibly. For the location, materials, and your answers, maybe. It really varies though. When you talk about moving plumbing, oven vents, or heating, it adds up. My DH is a contractor and he did our kitchen -doing ALL the labor himself - for 20% of our homes value. We invested in quality cabinets (which I wouldn't trade!) and higher quality appliances (but not the top). If he had to pay for labor, we would have incurred 2-3x the cost. If you want to save money, expect to take on the project management position and become extremely knowledgeable about remodeling. Otherwise, get several bids and accept one - and be glad you don't have to be PM.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #92
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think the stainless, granite, cherry cabinet look is going to shortly look super dated. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE WHO HAS THAT KITCHEN!
Ha! That's what I have! No offense taken!

We love it. When we put it in we talked about resale value, how dated it would look etc. One thing we realized is that no matter what you do...it will probably look dated whenever you are selling it down the road. Or, if you put something really odd in, it will look...odd down the road. You just have to balance all that with your budget and what you like.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #93
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie View Post
Ha! That's what I have! No offense taken!

We love it. When we put it in we talked about resale value, how dated it would look etc. One thing we realized is that no matter what you do...it will probably look dated whenever you are selling it down the road. Or, if you put something really odd in, it will look...odd down the road. You just have to balance all that with your budget and what you like.
I'm pretty much planning to be buried in the back yard; I can't imagine moving.

We we're doing the kitchen for US. Twenty or 25 years from now, when we think about selling the house, WHATEVER we do this summer is going to look dated. So we may just as well please ourselves and not sweat it.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #94
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by limace View Post
I'd do some serious research on consumer reports-I think you can bring those appliance costs down a lot. Are you a really big time cook? If not, the double oven, etc, might be overkill If you're thinking of resale, what kind of appliances do comparable kitchens in your area have? And I vote for avoiding stainless I think the stainless, granite, cherry cabinet look is going to shortly look super dated. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE WHO HAS THAT KITCHEN!

No offense to you, but I think you are wrong about stainless and cherry cabinets ever looking dated!

Stainless has always been and will always be in if you are looking to put in restaurant style appliances. (Did you ever see an avocado or harvest gold oven or stove in a restaurant kitchen? )

Ditto with granite--it will never go out of style.

I think what you use for tile or back splash is what will *date* your kitchen.

When you redo your kitchen (or bath for that matter) I think it's best to stick with traditional styles and not go with the latest redo look from HGTV (unless you have the money to change it whenever you grow tired of the style).
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #95
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
I'm pretty much planning to be buried in the back yard; I can't imagine moving.

We we're doing the kitchen for US. Twenty or 25 years from now, when we think about selling the house, WHATEVER we do this summer is going to look dated. So we may just as well please ourselves and not sweat it.
I agree with you. When we bought our second home I said to DH "how does it feel to buy your tomb?" I'm not going anywhere...I hope!

I also agree that everything becomes dated. While stainless as a finish may be here to stay, at least for a long while, the style of them will change making older ones "dated". The same goes for tile, colors, finishes, materials, etc.

Even patios, pools and outside things become dated. Landscaping, too. Styles in homes change just like fashion.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #96
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I
Quote:
also agree that everything becomes dated. While stainless as a finish may be here to stay, at least for a long while, the style of them will change making older ones "dated". The same goes for tile, colors, finishes, materials, etc.

Even if you think you'll only be there 5 years, do it for yourself. It's a lot of work and money. We actually talked about how the stainless, granite, cherry look could go out of style shortly after us doing it. It was a look that we just really liked though...for a long time...since we kept liking it, we figured we'd probably keep liking it once it was in our house. We actually liked it BEFORE a family member bought a house with it a few years ago...we hoped they wouldn't think we were copying or something. What I really love is that we made our kitchen so much more functional: a whole wall of pantry space, a penninsula, microwave in it's own cabinet, exhaust fan that works, lots of drawers where we now keep our dishes, pull out spice cabinets, etc.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #97
esk
DIS Veteran

haven't read all the pages, but OP, you can go to gardenweb.com and get amazing advice there....beware, you will get sucked in and start spending all your time on that site.

We built a house 2 years ago (south west IL) and our cabs were about $25K, appliances $9K (stainless, GE Profile, double ovens, french door fridge), granite (Black Galaxy, $95 sq ft, glass front doors, granite sink (home and stone.com, shipped to you), hardwood floors, blah blah....we have an island but probably our kitchen is smaller than yours?

I think $90-100K is high without any structural work like walls and windows but I am not a contractor or builder, so I really have no idea. But the people on Gardenweb do....
esk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #98
Califgirl

VMK MVP
I heart my DIS VMK friends
Looked for Stitch, but found Huck Springs!

esk, we have black galaxy granite, too. I LOVE it! We have a copper sink and oiled bronze hardware. Looks fabulous!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #99
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I think the big swirly granites all look dated.

Before I redid my kitchen I googled backsplash images and there are tons of ugly backspashes.

The simpler the better in terms of resale. It's cheaper, too.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #100
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Since we're on the topic of kitchens... what are your opinions on stainless appliances vs black? I like the look of stainless better, but those I've talked to said they are a pain to keep clean.

When we renovate our kitchen, I'll need a new oven, microwave and fridge. My current dishwasher is fairly new and black. We haven't chosen anything yet, but I'm leaning towards the dark brownish red cabinets from Ikea with light solid surface countertops and subway tile backsplash if that matters any!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #101
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

We just bought a 4 piece stainless set for our summer remodel.

My kids are old enough that the fingerprints shouldn't be a huge issue. And I have a pretty high mess tolerance.

I just really like the look of stainless.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #102
esk
DIS Veteran

I haven't found stainless to be hard to keep clean.....appliances, that is. I hate, hate, hate stainless steel sinks, they are forever getting spots and gross. But appliances, I just wipe down once a week or so with a all-surface wipe and the fingerprints come right off.
esk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #103
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
I agree with you. When we bought our second home I said to DH "how does it feel to buy your tomb?" I'm not going anywhere...I hope!.

Even patios, pools and outside things become dated. Landscaping, too. Styles in homes change just like fashion.
I know, how you feel. I drew the plans for every inch of my house. I still regret the changes our contractor talked me out of... Honestly, I don't DH could bear the strain of building another house.

Well, some may not like my landscaping, especially the "Disney Garden" or the "Fairy" and "Poly" inspired areas, but I don't care....they can't have my statuary or tiki torches.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #104
nsmith
Mouseketeer

new kitchen budget

We are also planning a kitchen remodel. I found this rule to be very helpful in coming up with a budget. The 5 - 15 rule:

The entire kitchen project (including cabinets, appliances, countertops, flooring, lighting, & trim molding) should cost no less than 5% and no more than 15% of the current value of your home with approximately 50% of the total cost allocated for cabinets (including accessories and trim, NOT INCLUDING INSTALLATION/LABOR).

Here is a link:

http://www.virginia-kitchens.com/kit...ew-kitchen.pdf
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #105
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
I think the big swirly granites all look dated.

Before I redid my kitchen I googled backsplash images and there are tons of ugly backspashes.

The simpler the better in terms of resale. It's cheaper, too.
My SIL has granite on her counter tops but travertine on the back splash which looks very nice. I don't like all of the kitchen (or any room) to have all elements matching. We have Brazilian cherry counter tops, granite on the island and Pratt and Larson fruit tile. The great thing about the tile was we could custom order the colors.
My opinion though about everyone else is to go with what you like. So what if no one else likes it, you have to live with it and if you love it, that's all that matters.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: