Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
DOREEN1779
Mouseketeer

That number sounds a bit high but not impossible. I sold higher end appliances to contractors for years and I have seen some over the top kitchens but only in homes that were worth at least a million plus. I would recommend getting at least 2 other quotes. I would also cut the project up and not let the contractor handle everything. Hire your own plumber, get your appliances wholesale, go directly to the distributors. Good Luck!
DOREEN1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
shortbun
Peacenik

We redid a small kitchen with a contractor-3 years ago-$11,000. We bought all the materials ourselves and we saved a lot of money. For instance, we found two pieces of granite-remnant pieces-that could be seamed and looked perfect-saved a lot. We went to a cabinet store and looked at everything they had-chose the least expensive, on special, set of cabinets they had-the savings here was ridiculous! We had wood floor refinished by a separate person-$1500 savings(not sure what process the other guy was going to use but whoa!). We did our own demolition and removal-another big savings. We bought the backsplash tile in a back room markdown area of a tile store and my husband brought it home in his truck. We paid 1/20th the original cost. It was fairly plain but pretty and discontinued. My girlfriend, a home colorist and lighting expert, chose all the fixtures and colors. It was much cheaper to pay her than pay them-I have no idea why but she had my back and found good deals for similar or even better stuff. We didn't hire a big company, we had a private contractor, who didn't mind our contribution because he still got his laborers jobs and he actually sent us to the cabinet store. The kitchen looked great!! It sold the house. We left our 2 year old refrigerator and bought a new, matching stove/oven. The dishwasher was only a year old. All were stainless. I'm looking to redo our current kitchen now. DH thinks he wants to do it himself. (where's that scary smiley?) We live in a large, mid-century ranch and the kitchen is vintage 1959. Again, we will do our own demolition. We'll hire our own plumber and electrician. I'm going to install stainless counter tops and backsplash this time-it's great looking but inexpensive. We need a new stove/oven but have the new dishwasher and refigerator. Cabinets will be interesting. The original were knotty pine and the last owners painted them for the 1st time before we saw the house or we would have stopped them and pulled them out for resale. The floor, original square tiled, probably asbestos so we'll be laying a wood floor right over it. There's no way I'd pay $90K for a kitchen remodel without appliances. That's simply outrageous. Keep shopping. My realtor friend recently had her big kitchen redone, floor to ceiling. She just emailed me. It's huge and with appliances, cost her $70K. She says she didn't go with the high end finishes but it looks great to me!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.

Last edited by shortbun; 02-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

You might also check with a local realtor to see if those numbers would support your investment.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My husband was a cabinet/furniture maker. He built custom and did semi custom as well. DH said that the Kraftmaid cabinets are well built and he advises the option of all wood. Home Depot or Lowes can help you to design a kitchen and they can arrange for installation as well. There are a ton of options to get the cabinets you want from finishes to cabinet and drawer options. You'll spend a fraction of the money. If you love to cook, spend money on great appliances.

BTW, he won awards for both his custom work and his semi custom work so he knows the business.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Rosiekins
Is going to Disney World!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofour View Post
OP here. We live in the suburbs of Chicago. If I used a general contractor would I first hire a kitchen designer or architect to come up with the plan? Or do they do that? I am naive about this process. Then does the general contractor give me allowances for everything?
So in our case normally my husband will sit down with the person and figure out what they want, and mock up plans. We have used an architect before but often don't, it depends on what the customer wants and sometimes the zoning of the building (3 family buildings have all kinds of rules here for example) Then he normally goes with the customer to look at cabinets, tile, counter tops etc. He orders them and deals with all that once decisions have been made and contracts signed. Sometimes the customers do that themselves, it saves a little as most contractors mark up materials, however most people seems to like the ease of having him do everything and sometimes he can get a better price on things as he gets contractor discounts. I am not sure all contractors will go with you, but if you tell them what you want they will work them in to the quote they give you.

If you want ask/tell the contractors that you will buy the counter tops, cabinets, etc, it may save you their markups however there is a chance they will be able to get a better price even with a markup. I would just ask. One thing you might do is come up with how much you would like to spend then talk with them about that, they will hopefully work with you in getting the what you want in to as close to it as you can. If there is no way they can do it for that number I am sure they won't be shy about telling you. Remember too when working with a GC to ask to check their insurance and license (if they need one in your state), here if they pull a permit they will have to have those things to get it anyhow. Also check references! Ask your friends who they have used and how they felt about them then consider giving who they recommend a call.

DH Me Baylor Smumbert

Etsy ID: BabyBadger
Rosiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Look into doing the appliances yourself. When you are getting one appliance, they will always have a better deal for businesses, but getting a bunch of appliances you may get just as good a deal as they do- plus you won't pay the markup of the contractor/kitchen store.

Also look in your area for any places that actually produce the stone- the kitchen stores are buying marble and granite from somewhere- that place often does the cutting. The store is rarely the manufacturer. Some of the manufacturers will work directly with you, but you take on more risk. (if you measure 5" off, you are stuck with something the wrong size!)
Going through a retailer I wouldn't be surprised at granite being between $100-200/foot.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Find a GC. Talk to local people that have done their kitchens to get recommendations. The difference is that, rather than go to one showroom to pick everything out, you will have to go to multiple suppliers to do that.

When I redid my kitchen, I took out a wall (which led to asbestos abatement!), but I still ended up at about half of yours. Also did a U to an L with an island. However, $20k in appliances is oranges to my apples.

My Kraftmaid cabinets (3 years ago) were about $12k. So I'm guessing that, given your Thomassville estimate, you will have an equivalent amount of cabinets. I paid for everything separately. Cabinets. Hardwood. Tile for backsplash. Faucets. Sliding Glass Door. I paid the GC one flat fee, he tore down and installed.

However, given that you are doing the $20k appliances (I paid under $4k for mostly GE Profile), I'm gessing that your estimate has the $500 faucet, not the $120 that I used.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
mom2rose&john
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I need help from my budget minded disboard friends!! We are looking to gut our kitchen that is 22 years old. The cabinets were poor to begin with so refacing etc. will not work. The space is large so we are not adding any square footage, moving walls etc. Looking at granite, medium grade cabinets, upper end appliances. My first quote came in at about $70,000 to $80,000 not including appliances. Does that seem about right? I am going from a U shape to an L shape with a large island. I have a hardwood floor so that needs to be sanded down again. It seems exorbinant!
Are you changing the layout and adding or moving plumbing, gas or electrical. That can get expensive. The average Kitchen remodel is 10-15 percent of the value of the house. How much counter and the grade of granite can also increase the cost. Gardenweb kitchens has a wealth of knowledge that can help you.
mom2rose&john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

That doesn't sound high to me at all. You probably spend a lot of time in the kitchen, you said it's big....you want high end. If you can afford it, it is worth getting what you want, and not living with something that you settled for.

Having custom made cabinets will maximize your workspace and efficiency, and you'll love it. A general contractor will add about 20% to the cost for the project management,but it is worth it for a complete remodel.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
momtofour
Mouseketeer

I am changing the locations of the ovens and the cooktop so electric and gas need to be moved. This quote is supposedly everything from the dumpster to painting the finished room. I am going to continue to investigate. Other kitchens in my neighborhood were really pricey. Neighbors are not too budget minded. Some are on their third kitchen in 22 years!!
momtofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OP here. We live in the suburbs of Chicago. If I used a general contractor would I first hire a kitchen designer or architect to come up with the plan? Or do they do that? I am naive about this process. Then does the general contractor give me allowances for everything?

Our kitchen cabinet maker would not allow anybody but their own people do the install. Over 20 years ago they were doing kitchens where the cabinets alone were 100k. They were huge!! So it is possible that it will cost that much.

Do not confuse true custom cabinets with box store "custome cabinets".

Our custom cabinets are warrantied for life. They look the same as they did when they were installed over 20 years ago.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

I'd get a few bids from remodeling contractors and compare those bids to the other bids you received. It seems high unless they put very high end items on the bid? My husband is a contractor and we remodeled our kitchen for $20k with handmade cabinets, granite, tile and stainless steel appliances. If my husband got paid to do it would be about $30-35k.

Like you mentioned your kitchen area is big, so maybe $50-70k would seem more practical?
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
First visit to DL at age 11 and hooked ever since!
Disney Cruise and WDW 2/09 and 9/09
DVC Members on 3/2008 at AKV'S and 1/2009 VGC
Next Disney Trips: Disneyland sans kids December 2014 and Aulani April 2015
ToodlesRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rose&john View Post
Are you changing the layout and adding or moving plumbing, gas or electrical. That can get expensive. The average Kitchen remodel is 10-15 percent of the value of the house. How much counter and the grade of granite can also increase the cost. Gardenweb kitchens has a wealth of knowledge that can help you.
Gardenweb is great.

There are also a lot of little features that add up, like adding glazes to the cabinets.

I agree with the advice of coming up with a budget, sitting down with a couple of different places to see what they can do with that amount of money to get an idea of where you might save.

Kitchen renovations can be done nicely and fairly frugally or the sky can be the limit. I remember one lady on gardenweb who was doing a bathroom at the same time and was bragging about spending $30K for a faucet in her kid's bathroom.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #29
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I guess I owe DH a couple of kisses when he gets home....he finished remodeling our kitchen/diningroom into one larger room a couple of years back, did all the work himself,and we got Ikea cabinets and appliances,plus premium flooring and Corian type counters....total cost for EVERYTHING was 7-8k. including a dining table and chairs.(yep,Ikea, solid as a rock for our family) I can't imagine that high an estimate for a kitchen....but again my entire house isn't much more than that... my oh my,he's getting some appreciation tonight!
BTW,he did a great job,and my kitchen looks,and performs,like a million bucks!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post
I'm gessing that your estimate has the $500 faucet, not the $120 that I used.
this is most likely the case,oranges to apples,it all depends on type of house,etc. I'd say.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: