Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Shemp Howard
..paging Mr. Tom Morrow..

First 'family' trip to Disney as HOH. Kid's first trip.

So I have been to Disney a dozen times before. Starting in 1984, to my last visit in 2010. I always enjoy it. I get the attention to detail and always think the parks are worth the crowds and cost.

Now growing up we stayed in Kissimmee. I have only stayed on property four times ever. 1989 Contemporary, 1992 & 94 Wilderness Campgrounds (in RV), 2010 Bonnet Creek.
I can see the pluses with staying on property but none of them outweigh the cost to me.

For instance, we will be traveling with.. Myself, my DGF, her girls (5&7) and her mother.
Now I like her mother, and after this trip she could be my mother in law to be. But I like space too. The CHEAPEST Villa/Suite on Disney property for five guest is $500+ a night. But 1.5 miles off property there are the Palms Hotels and Villas. While nothing too fancy, you do get a nice suite for less than $100. $69 with AAA and parking lot view.
While it runs six shuttles a day, we will be driving. The $15 a day is nothing, when saving so much. In fact we saved so much on the reservation that we have booked Cinderella's table on our first morning, and Victoria and Albert's on our last night.
We will probably do Sci-Fi in there too, but no more ADRs after that, I want some flexibility.

We paid $2,200 for five nights, for five people (3 adults, 2 kids) which I feel is pretty good. I have only ever flown to Disney once, I am used to the 9hour drive, so we will be taking a personal vehicle.

My DGF has only ever been to Disney once, her mother and the kids have never been. The kids also have no idea they are going.

We are "escaping Mardi Gras" and using the vacation time our region has that most others don't to travel. Plan is to pack them up and say "we are going to the beach". Though I may book the Luau or just grab a bite from Captain Cook's to keep that honest.

We have been dating for a while, and I am thinking about the possibility of proposing there, especially with V and A's booked. I like that we have a babysitter with us too, so I don't miss out on my roller coasters.

So far I have

Saturday -- Arrive around 2 - get lunch/ check in
nap, dinner check out area visit a friend who works for Sea World.

Sunday - Start off early, breakfast in Castle, let kids lead way around the park and pick what THEY want to do. (If I am in charge it will be Haunted Mansion, over and over, lol)
Plan for the Day MK

Monday - Epcot. While they have great sit downs, the kids are picky, one will want Italian, the other Mexican. So we plan to just do counter service. Explore the parks, if they get board, boat over to DHS.

Tues - AK & DHS
No real plans, Safari, Dinosaur, Tree of life, see animals, then go to DHS for rest of day

Wed - MK (and favorites) at 3- 3:30 me and dgf will slip away, and get ready for V&A's. I have the early reservation (5) so it is possible to catch the fireworks.

Thurs - Go to this wildlife sanctuary to see tigers/ head home.

Outlining, which is funny, I usually don't plan trips this far out.
Even have reservations that are pre-paid (Cindy's royal table)

But I am very excited, looking for some great info.

Though my biggest grip is that you have to wait in line to see the characters now, they used to just walk around the parks.

Oh and that they are ruining Future World. But other than that, I love WDW.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
CRAZY ABOUT WDW
Earning My Ears

your plans look great the only thing i would change is to propose in the begining of the trip that way you might get some pixie dust on the rest of your stay good luck and congratulations
CRAZY ABOUT WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: