Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
mamateacher
Mouseketeer

How are these ADRs? Be honest!

Looking for all feedback regarding our ADRs. We originally had Coral Reef, but after reading the many negative reviews, took it off our list. We are a family of 4---me, Dh, and 2 sons (ages 8 and 10) and we're not visiting Animal Kingdom on this trip.

Crystal Palace - breakfast
Chef Mickey's - breakfast
Sci-Fi - lunch
Biergarten - dinner
Teppan Edo - dinner
'Ohana - dinner

Thank you!
mamateacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I think your choices are very "experience oriented" and that is super fun- especially for your kids age ranges. Sci-Fi as you probably know is no culinary masterpiece- but a really fun concept and in a park with few decent options. I love 'Ohana. Biergarten I know little about but I think sounds fun. I've heard Crystal Palace is one of the better character buffets and you've probably read that Chef Mickeys is all about the experience- the food is very generic and not very good according to most reviewers.

The only one I really would caution against is Teppan Edo- unless you've never done hibachi and even then I think most local hibachi places are much better. This is all my opinion (although I've heard others say it) serving sizes very small, terrible dessert choices, new design of restaurant feels semi cold and unwelcoming, and the show is only so much fun because you can see the show at other tables many times before they get to your table- and its the same show for every table.

I personally would vote for Chefs de France, Rose and Crown, or Via Napoli in that spot based on most reviews on here.

Or another option would be taking our Chef Mickeys due to all its poor reviews and doing Garden Grill (where you also meet Mickey) instead while at Epcot- opening up a free slot in case there's another restaurant you have in mind.

Good luck- this is all just my opinions based on experience and lots of reading- so take it with a grain of salt!

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamateacher View Post
Looking for all feedback regarding our ADRs. We originally had Coral Reef, but after reading the many negative reviews, took it off our list. We are a family of 4---me, Dh, and 2 sons (ages 8 and 10) and we're not visiting Animal Kingdom on this trip.

Crystal Palace - breakfast
Chef Mickey's - breakfast
Sci-Fi - lunch
Biergarten - dinner
Teppan Edo - dinner
'Ohana - dinner

Thank you!
Overall, you made great choices! I 100% agree on your decision to ditch Coral Reef - that was the only Disney restaurant we have no desire to experience again.

As for the others, CP breakfast is fantatic, Teppan Edo is super fun, and 'Ohana is excellent (although it is tons of food!). I have not eaten at Biergarten, but hear nothing but good things. CM and Sci-Fi are a bit more mixed, but I think the experience of CM will be fun (and breakfast is likely your best choice) and the atmostphere of Sci-Fi is supposed to be pretty cool. I think if you stick to the burgers and shakes, you should enjoy it!

Nice work!

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
SimplyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
AstroDad
Earning My Ears

I would consider dropping Teppan Edo in favor of The Garden Grill for dinner. My kids absolutely love The Garden Grill for the character interaction (I swear they come by the table 4 times each while you are there) and the novelty of the slowly rotating floor. Also, they will cater to the kids if they don't like foods offered in the regualr family style offerings.

Otherwise you have lined up some great places. I actually liked Teppan Edo quite a bit, but the kids weren't excited about it at all.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Okay, I'll stick up for Teppan Edo (though I do like Garden Grille a lot as well)! Here's why. You already have two all-you-can-eat character breakfasts and one all-you-can eat dinner. And a fair amount of American food. Unless you are really trying to get even more character experiences and even more food, I'd suggest keeping your Teppan Edo ADR for a nice change of pace.

I think it would be a nice change of cuisine and dining experience. Previous posters are correct in that Teppan Edo isn't a whole lot different than similar local Japanese teppanyaki restaurants, but the atmosphere and service are very good.

If you're scared to go to Teppan Edo now, but are still interested in some Japanese cuisine, Tokyo Dining is another excellent choice. Great food, service, and atmosphere, but there's no show or entertainment here. I think Teppan Edo would provide more entertainment for your family.

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

It seems that Fun is on your menu for every meal.

Since your choices are nearly all Experience driven, I'd vote Coral Reef over Teppan Edo.

Enjoy.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

I think you've got some great picks! We've eaten at all of your choices and have enjoyed them.

Crystal Palace has a great variety of food, and it was very yummy. We really enjoyed this character breakfast; the food is what stood out to us here.

Chef Mickeys has our favorite atmosphere. It's lively and festive, and we love the characters here. The food isn't quite as good as Crystal Palace, but it's still good. My girls love it here!

Sci-Fi has a fun atmosphere as well. I would eat here for lunch again, but not for dinner so glad to see you have it as a lunch pick.

Biergarten also has a fun atmosphere. We love the inside! The band adds a festive mood too. The food is pretty good. Not spectacular, but good in our opinion. Overall, we enjoyed it.

Teppan Edo has really good tasting food. Our girls love it here for the show the chefs put on (and the food).

'Ohana is our very favorite restaurant. We love the food, and we love the atmosphere too.

So glad you ditched Coral Reef. Against the iffy reviews, I still went to form my own opinion. Now I stand with all the others saying I'll never go back.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamateacher View Post

Crystal Palace - breakfast Great as long as its one of the earliest ADRs
Chef Mickey's - breakfast We enjoyed this one, but I'm not a fan of breakfast TS meals (we like to be at the park at rope drop), so if it were me, I'd change this to dinner.
Sci-Fi - lunch I don't like doing lunch ADRs so I would change this to a dinner as well. Also, my TS personal choice in DHS would lean more towards 50s Prime Time, but between the two, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.
Biergarten - dinner Never been, not my type of meal, but plenty of people LOVE it, so I'm sure you will enjoy!
Teppan Edo - dinner Never been to this one either - If your going for the sushi, I've heard that Cali Grill is the place to be, however that is a 2 credit meal.
'Ohana - dinner Another one we haven't been to, but plan on trying on our next trip!

Thank you!
And TMHO!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
stink
Mouseketeer

I like all your choices. I agree with others that your choices are fun and experience driven, primarily interactive themed dining venues. Might want to consider one choice that is layed back more relaxed meal.

IMHO.. I know it has recently had bad reviews but I have had a good food and a relaxing restful dining experience at Coral Reef and enjoyed it very much. I also liked Chefs de France and Rose & Crown.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I think your choices look great for your family.
I would definitely keep Teppan Edo. We love it and it is a must do nearly every trip. The food is delicious and the chef's put on a neat show.
Both Teppan Edo and Biergarden are tables for 8, so you will be seated with another group or two. We enjoy this as well
Have Fun
Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

I think you have some great choices!!

Teppan is the one I would change, but we have Benihana near us and a few other places like that within 5 miles.

Chef Mickey is my sons favorite place.. he loves the characters! and all the ice cream!!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Don't expect great food at Crystal Palace. Think Waffle House quality but it is a nice location and, if you get in before the park opens, a neat experiece. Food just isn't good though.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

I would vote Rose & Crown or Garden Grille over Teppan. I totally agree that it's subpar and you can find one in any city.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

They look great! I would keep Teppan Edo. It's one of our favs. We like the fresher lighter meal. We always leave full but not stuffed which is a nice break from all the food we have been eating. The show is fun too!
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
crabbygal902
after a lapu lapu, I'm not so crabby anymore

Quote:
Crystal Palace - breakfast never been to breakfast, but dinner was really good.
Chef Mickey's - breakfast Been here bunches of times, and we love it. It is a must-do for my kids and they put it on the ADR list every trip. For us, there is no place that is more "Disney" than this.
Sci-Fi - lunch the experience is fun, but the food is just okay. Stick with the burgers, shakes, and fries and I'll bet you'll be happy. My boys really like this place.
Biergarten - dinner My DH's favorite! We've done both lunch and dinner and we prefer the dinner. Great entertainment, good food, good beer. Yay!
Teppan Edo - dinner Wasn't looking forward to this one at all and booked it because it was a request from a dinner companion. We loved it!! So much fun, and the food was good, too. Nicest waitstaff in WDW.
'Ohana - dinner Ah, 'Ohana. Our departure night tradition. So many happy family memories. I. Love. It.
And no...I don't love every restaurant in WDW! You have just chosen some really good ones, IMHO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: